- A simple and easy meditation that works for me

A simple and easy meditation that works for me

Meditation - a powerful tool for recovery!

Postby MichalF » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:44 am

Meditation is Achilles' hell in my recovery.
I use to practice yoga during drinking period and now It badlly associate for me.
I pray everyday but without proper concentration.
I remember when my wife had relapses in first years of recovery I was in pain and frightened. I carried out strange type of meditation.
I used to seat at night at my daugther' bed looking at angels' peaceful face and I prayed
It made me really strong.
Last edited by MichalF on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichalF

Postby Dallas » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks for sharing, Michal. I appreciate you. I can see how powerful that meditation that you used can be.

For a while, I gave up on trying to pray because my head kept telling me "you can't get focused and concentrate on this... it's phooey for you! Why waste my time trying something that I can never be any good at?"

Then, I realized "Well. I was never any good at staying sober... but, I didn't give up trying all together!" :lol: :lol:

And, I figured that "If sobriety and being a newcomer is the hardest thing I've ever done... that I didn't think I did right either... and didn't believe it would work for me... why give up on prayer?" :lol:

For me, the hardest time to pray is when my head just won't let me get into it. And, I learned in AA... when my head is trying to keep me from doing something that could be good for me... take the action instead of thinking about it. Now, when I experience those moments of "I just can't get into the prayer routine right now... " I do it anyway.

I loved your sharing about looking at your child and seeing an angel. I could almost see you doing it and it brought a wonderful feeling to me in my heart.

I don't have a child to look at, but I do have dogs... and sometimes, I look at them and realize that they, too, are the angels that God has placed in my life -- and it makes me feel something very unique, as if God loves me, and so do my dogs... "what a lucky guy I am to have them in my life!"

Best wishes to you, your wife and your angel!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Prayer & Meditation

Postby knny913 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi Dallas,
This is the first of what I hope to be many responses to you.
I find, since my first Spiritual Awakening, that meditation was and would be as important to me as that 1st drink in the morning use to be to me. It is very easy for me to start my morning routine upon awakening, first with a short prayer of graditude, then with reading from the Big book, Daily reflections, 12 x 12, and or Grapevine. I walk my dog every morning, and while we are walking I pray then meditate, usually 30 - 40 minutes. I am a very busy person, especially since my life has changed with sobriety, I own and operate 2 businesses (40 miles away from each other) everyday. But when I started this program and complained to my sponsor that I just didn't have time to do all the things required of me, he just told me "you found plenty of time to drink, so you can find plenty of time to stay sober!" so I get up an hour to hour and a half earlier than I use to. My meditation consists of "talking" to my higher power, I (we) evaluate my day before, then we laugh (or sometimes shed a tear) at any and all the trials he, she or it, put me through that day, I look at them one at a time, did I do what and act as, my higher power would have wanted me to do in any and all my trials. Did I do anything to help another person or thing, alcoholic or non, What can I do better today, and how can I be of service to my Higher power. My meditation also includes a time of my just listening, sometimes a couple of minutes, some times longer, in silence, clearing my mind of everything possible, and just listening. This is a daily routine to me, I find that after this I can usually take on anything my HP throws at me throughout the day. As I stated before, my drinking started when I got up and ran all day and throughout my sleepless nights, so I have to meditate and pray to stay sober, and be useful to others.
knny913

Postby Dallas » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:29 am

Thanks, knny913. And, welcome to the site!

While I was reading your message, I thought of how your routine for the day so precisely follows the instructions in the BB, for Steps 10 & 11. (Pages 83-88 ) . That's a great routine! When I, too, follow that routine, everyday just seems to get better and better!

Thanks again for your post. I look forward to reading more from you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby gunner48 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:42 am

Good Morning

I too, had a hard time with meditation at first. I started a routine of closing my eyes and thinking of being in a place with all the people in my life and thinking if this was my last day what would I want to say to each of them. Would I bring love or would there be discontent. What would I need to accomplish to bring only love and understanding. On each I ask God for the power to forgive and then let each know how special they are to me. This has brought me to a place of calm, steady understanding and loving attitude with each of them. I have no time line for this for some days it is rapid and others are slow. I end this period with a prayer I have come to believe. God thank you for the oppuntiunties of this day. I now ask that you place before me only the things that you and I together can handle.
Great story I heard about a mans dog. He said his wish was to become as loving toward mankind as his dog was loving toward him. He said that no matter has nausty he had treated his dog it never quite loving him and being excited to see him again
I really enjoy reading about how others accomplish their medatition. Keep them coming.

Peace and Love Gunner
gunner48

Postby Dallas » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:26 am

I have two dogs. A little one and a huge one. They are both loving, kind, considerate, and thoughtful. When my little dog sees me praying on my knees, she comes up and lays down underneath me. It's like both the dogs are so observant of not only what I do, but also what I don't do. If I'm deep in thought about something -- they come up and give a little bark, as if to say "Hey. Wake up! You're getting too serious about something!" :lol:

My favorite meditation is to close my eyes, focus my attention on to my breathing to center me, and then just think about God. I try to spend a minimum of three minutes focusing on God, alone. The three minutes will often seem like it's been 30 minutes. The calming and peaceful effect that it has on me is incredible.

One day, as I was reflecting on Step 11, "Sought through prayer and meditation to improve my conscious contact with God, as I understand Him, praying only for the knowledge of His will for me, and the power to carry it out" ... the thought that caught my attention was: "Conscious contact with God -- is, what God's will is for me." He wants me to consciously be aware of Him and His presence. And, when I am consciously aware of Him and His presence... it seems as though I don't have a single problem in Life.

On another occasion, I was reflecting on the necessity of drinking water, eating food, and spending some time in the Sunlight.... and suddenly, my thoughts were "and spending time consciously thinking about God" is equally important to me as drinking water, eating food, and spending time in the Sunlight.

Water. Food. Sunlight. And, God. Life on simple terms. :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:33 am

Oops! I guess that last message is about the same thing that I wrote in my first message! :oops:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby MichalF » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:42 pm

Hey Dallas
Thank you for your post.
I have just bougth dog – labrador retriever His name Bruner, near 3 months old.
Lovely creature!
I was reluctant to idea of buying puppy knowing how responsibility it demands,
finally I surrender under strong pressure from rest of family.
Bruner is real destroyer He teach me humility and patience
:lol: :lol:
MichalF

Postby knny913 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:48 pm

Good Evening Dallas,
You're right, although I didn't realize it, these are what the BB tells me to do in the 10 & 11th steps. As the 9th step promises point out "we are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness."
It seems the more I pray and meditate the more I want to, and some days I just can't get enough.
I actually look at ALL my steps on a daily basis. I have to, if I am to stay sober another day. It seems that as I acquire more time in AA, that no matter how busy my everyday and materialistic life gets, I can always find time to pray, to thank my Higher Power, and most of all give myself to HE, She, or It, and ask continually how I may better serve He, She, or It. As with most every other Alcoholic I know or have met, I did not believe in anything spiritual or religious, when I first came into the program. I still am not "religious" but I have become very spiritually minded. And I do give thanks to AA, the groups, the BB, and forums, for helping me to stay sober long enough to realize that there really is a power greater than myself. I'm sure that I am not alone in saying that once I started becoming more aware of what was happening around me, that as I started to realize that most of my trials and tributes everyday was just a new test to me from my HP, then it started to get easier for me to understand the program. To want to be of greater service to my family, friends, other people, and my "God". It really is a simple program, if you work it!
Looking forward to getting on here more often, and sharing in other areas of my recovery. From my sponsor to my sponsees', my readings and my opinions.
Have A Great Evening!
Knny913
knny913

Postby Dallas » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:46 pm

Good evening to you, also, Knny913. Glad to read more from you.

Most of the actions that keep us sober and give us the good life are simple and easy... like the prayer and meditation, calling our sponsors, sponsoring others, being active in the Fellowship and helping others. And, it seems so hard to believe -- that I can slack up on one of the areas without even realizing that I'm doing it. For me, that's why structure and discipline are so important. Remembering, to wake up with a "to-do list" and doing the things on my list.

And, MichalF, congrats on your new dog!!! Is your dog black? My huge dog is a Black Lab. Weighs in at about 120 pounds of muscle and bone (not sure how many kilos that is). :wink: They are such amazing dogs. He loves to run and jump and catch Frisbie's and balls in the air. (If they don't call it a "Frisbie" in Poland... it's a round, flat, plastic disk, about 12 inches in diameter).

Dog stories: When I was about six months sober, I was running my own business, and I felt that I was a pretty responsible adult. :lol: But, as we learn... some of us learn... "feelings are not always based on facts." :lol: And, I thought for sure... I must be responsible enough to get a dog! I'd bring the little dog with me to the office... and he'd bark and crap all over the place! :lol: :lol: I was constantly being interrupted with him, and would have to have employees watch him for me so that I could get work done. It was a real nightmare! I suddenly realized "well. maybe my life is a bit unmanageable after all!" :lol: Something as simple as having a dog... and I wasn't responsible enough or fit enough to do it! I gave the dog to my girlfriend (she took him in because I was trying to find a home for him) Funny thing though... he was actually a she.... but for some reason I always referred to her as him. :lol: So, the girlfriend names the female dog "Bill"! :lol: :lol: I asked her... "why are you so cruel to the dog and name her Bill?" She says to me "Who are you to judge me about dog cruelty? You can't even take care of a dog!" :lol: :lol:

I feel guilty about saying this... (I always felt guilty about it)... but, that little dog grew up to be the ugliest dog I had ever seen in my whole life! :lol: :lol: Poor little thing. If my girlfriend hadn't taken her/him in... I probably couldn't have found anyone willing to take the dog! :lol:

The next time I got a dog... I was just about eight years sober... and I wasn't sure then, if I'd be responsible enough to take care of a dog! But, this little tiny stray anti-social puppy showed up on my porch. And, I fell in love with her at first glance! She took right to me and wouldn't let anyone else touch her. :lol: It felt like she was my child... two outcast strays, me and her. I tried everything to be responsible and find her owner. Posters. Newspaper ads. Notifying the dog pound and humane society and more. I didn't want to give her up... but, I had learned to "do the right thing" even when I don't want to do it.

No one claimed her... and she became my little angel. That was about this time of year... in 1994. She's almost 15 years old now and in pretty good health! And, to me, she's still my baby. My puppy.

I was going through a very difficult time in my life when she showed up on my porch, on that winter morning. And, I have believed all along, that God sent her to me, because He knew that she was what I needed, and that I was what she needed. I've always referred to her as "she's actually God's dog... He's just allowing me to take care of her for Him".

She has taught me so much about life, spirituality, God, and responsibility. I call her my "Ala-Pup" (Al-Anon puppy), and my Co-Sponsor. She gets upset with me if I leave the house without her... unless it's to go to an AA meeting, or to go on a 12 Step call, or to spend time with another alkie taking them through the Steps. I don't know how she knows... I tell her, and she acts like "Well. That's okay then. Go help another one and then hurry home when your finished!" :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Meditation and Recovery