- What was/is your hardest step?

What was/is your hardest step?

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby sunlight » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi Mike,

I sure enjoy reading your posts! Thank you for letting us get to know you & how it works for you.

Sure gives ME hope!

( I'm stiil cracking up over "HP - Not Hewlett Packard!" from your other post ) :lol:
sunlight

Postby MikeM1968 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:12 pm

As for the right actions leading to right thinking, I've also heard this one;

move a muscle, change a thought.

Mike
MikeM1968

Postby Lionback » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:52 pm

I was given this information .. it helped me and still does
Steps 1-3 1,Admit Accept and Action.
Admit I'am and alcoholic, Accept I'am insane, Action ,go to meetings..
Steps 4-9 clearance steps
4,write it down, 5, tell someone 6 ,Be willing to let go and let God,ask for mercy 7,the things you do, you should not do. 8-9,using sept 4 list become willing to make amends, when the opportunity arises (and it will)..
10-11-12 all maintenance steps..continute to make amends, continue to seek God's will for you, continue to assist fellow sufferers.....then "Practise these Principles in all your affairs" as best you can....Life is not easy but it does get easier..
Lionback

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:22 pm

The 5th was hardest for me, to let another person know my shortcomings.
Silverbullet

what was/is your hardest step

Postby loosh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:23 pm

The hardest step i took.....was step 2...I'd been force fed a religion which to me was all about fear...and guilt ...i'd rebelled against it from the age of 9 years old....coming to hate it's dogma...and what i saw as hypocrisy...i was ridiculed for asking questions about God in religious studies in school..later on i became what i then called ' a born again athiest ' especially in my alcoholism...when i ended up on the wrong side of the law..if i was sober enough to remember an injustice against me...eg...being framed for a crime i was innocent of...due to religious bigotry of the arresting officers etc. when imprisoned i'd state my religion as none because i was angry at my childhood idea of God.....it was hard to dispel the teachings !! But when sober a while...the more i thought/analysed god...the more i scorned ' it'...but i got drinking again ..when i drank it was daily...selling whatever i owned/or did'nt own..to feed my addiction/craving i usually blacked out....much as i never wanted to...i sat in aa meetings feeling like a martyr to the cause....i was in 'n out of aa like a yo-yo...eventually...i was drinking even when i never wanted to...i could'nt stop even though i wanted...i'd be 'ok' one minute and find myself drinking the next...eventually i got sober ...BUT life was 'a drag' i never liked it really...though i'd cash in bank,a business,a loving wife ..etc. again i got drunk ...[I NEVER WANTED to get drunk 99% of the times i did try to drink sociably] ..i knew from past experiences ..back to meetings ...only this time a step group...i'd maybe better try these steps 1-12 after all...i had tried the 6 with no god/higher power stuff...for 10 years now...4 sober..and had no peace of mind...even though after my last drink i'd conceded i was powerless over alcohol...but i'd done 'that' previously...chances were i'd do so again maybe with no thought of going for a drink [ Again !!] seems my choices ie whether to drink OR not...had gone !! therefore my life had become unmanageable.........so TO STEP 2....took me about 3 months to come to believe...trying daily to pray...i felt a fool ...each time i tried to pray ..i'd get sexual thoughts/feelings ...it was a joke...BUT eventually i came to believe through good things happening....what i used to call coincidences...but knew were not...happened...my mind opened to the concept of a loving God...not a fearful one...a higher Power seemed to be making things happen.....at last.......NOW the 'hardest'is part of 12..ie.."practice these principles in ALL my affairs" What principles...you might say ??...well here's some love,tolerance, patience,understanding,...we are not saints,the point is we are willing to grow along spiritual lines....spiritually i'm well , have been these last 22 years [ odaat]...26 since last drink. Something i thought impossible for me up to sept.11 1983...my last drink day.
Last edited by loosh on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
loosh

Postby GeoffS » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:48 am

Just reflecting, the hardest step I took was the one that first got me in the door of AA
GeoffS

5th step

Postby rkdian34 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:31 am

The step that really caused turmold for me, was recconizing the exact nature (singular) of all my wrongs (plural).
rkdian34

Previous

Return to 12 Steps