- FOREWORD TO THE FIRST EDITION

FOREWORD TO THE FIRST EDITION

Alcoholics Anonymous AA Big Book Study and Discussion.

Postby Tim » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:36 pm

Dallas wrote:In the abc's... (page 60, Chapter 5, How it works) it mentions "spiritual progress" rather than "spiritual perfection".

For me, I see that as a caution, warning me against the idea of coming to believe that I have arrived at "spiritual perfection".

And, for me, my problem is not "lack of power"... it's my Ego (Self-perception)... that keeps me disconnected from the Power. Conscious separation is my problem (Self-perception, Ego) and Conscious Contact (referred to in Step 11) is my solution.

At Step 10, I "entered the world of the spirit" and Steps 9, 10, 11 and 12, show me how easily my Ego can take me out of the "world of the spirit".

Dallas

This has been my experience as well. Self-will, like the moles in the classic Whac-a-Mole game, keeps popping up. This also connects to my spiritual beliefs and experience.

If I pray only for knowledge of God's will for me, it helps keep my self-will in line with God's will for me.
Tim

Postby rkdian34 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:03 pm

Sorry, I should have erased your name. My mistake. I won't make that mistake again. If I had done, what you did, it would have been intention and malicious.

Question... How do you continue something that you have never started? I see how you could taken this personally, I need to be more specific. It was a question about the step 10 wording.

You may address me anyway you please, my self esteem does not depend upon your opinion of me or the program. No resentment here, friend. :lol:
Last edited by rkdian34 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rkdian34

Postby gunner48 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:54 pm

Many years ago in Corpus Christi Tx I had a chance to hear a man named Minnisota Bob speak. What was unusaual was that Bob was dying of cancer and was in Texas with his wife living out his last days. He spoke on 3 paragraphs in the book. He started like this. On page 132 16 lines from the top and 16 lines from the bottom it states:But we aren't a glum lot
1. We have been talking of serious sometimes tragic things. WE have been dealing with alcohol in its worst aspect. BUT WE AREN"T A GLUM LOT. If new comers could see no joy in our existence, they wouldn't want it. We absolutly insist on enjoying life. We try not to indulge in cynicism over the state of the nations, nor do we carry the worlds troubles on our shoulders. When we see a man sinking into the mire that is alcoholism, we give him first aide and place what we have at his disposal. For his sake, we do recount and almost relive the horrors of our past. But those of us who have tried to shoulder the entire burden and troubles of others find we are soon overcome by them.
2. So we think that cheerfulness and laughter make for usefulness. Outsiders are sometimes shocked when we burst into merriment over seemingly tragic expierences out of our past. But why shouldn't we laugh? we have recovered, and been given the gift to help others.
3. Everybody knows that those in bad health, and those who seldom play, do not laugh much. So let each family play together or seperately, as much as their circumstances warrant. WE are sure god wants us to be happy, joyous and free. We cannot subsribe to the belief that this life is a vale of tears, though it once was just that for many of us. But it is clear that we made our own misery. God didn't do it. Avoid then the deliberate manufracture of misery, but if it comes, cheerfully capitalize it as a opportunity to demonstrate his omnipotence.
There was many lessons in these paragraphs for me. I realized I didn't know how to play so I had to learn. I had to learn not to take myself so seriously, I had to learn how to laugh, I had to learn how to offer what I had to the man suffering (not what someone else has). I had to learn to share my past (not someone elses).
Something else Bob said that day that I have never forgotten was THE ONLY THING THAT CAN TRULY BLOCK ME FROM MY GOD IS MY JUDGEMENT OF OTHERS.
My life is short. Today is the day I must carry the vision of my god with me in all my affairs. What would God have me do.
Once again BOB thank you for sharing your life with me. I am better off having had the chance to know you.

Peace and Love Gunner
gunner48

Postby GeoffS » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:52 am

Keep coming back y'all y'here.

:lol:
GeoffS

Thank You

Postby rkdian34 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:03 am

Thanks for passing that on. No arguments here! :D
rkdian34

Recovery v Recovered

Postby rkdian34 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:09 pm

20 Questions

The Twenty Questions that helped me
decide that I was not an alcoholic.

The 20 Questions

Take this 20 question test to help you decide whether or not you are a recovered alcoholic.

Answer YES or NO to the following questions.

1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking alcohol?
YES __ NO __

2. Does drinking alcohol making your home life unhappy?
YES __ NO __

3. Do you drink alcohol because you are shy with other people?
YES __ NO __

4. Is your drinking alcohol affecting your reputation?
YES __ NO __

5. Do you feel remorseful after drinking alcohol?
YES __ NO __

6. Do you ever get into financial difficulties as a result of drinking alcohol?
YES __ NO __

7. Does your drinking alcohol make you careless of your family’s welfare?
YES __ NO __

8. Has your ambition decreased since drinking alcohol?
YES __ NO __

9. Do you crave a drink of alcohol at a definite time?
YES __ NO __

10. Do you want a drink of alcohol the next morning?
YES __ NO __

11. Does drinking alcohol cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
YES __ NO __

12. Does your efficiency decreased when drinking alcohol?
YES __ NO __

13. Is drinking alcohol jeopardizing your job or business?
YES __ NO __

14. Do you drink alcohol to escape from worries or trouble?

YES __ NO __

15. Do you drink alcohol alone?
YES __ NO __

16. Do you have a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking alcohol ?
YES __ NO __

17. Is your physician treating you for drinking alcohol?
YES __ NO __

18. Do you drink alcohol to build up your self-confidence?
YES __ NO __

19. Are you a patient of a hospital or institution because of drinking alcohol ?
YES __ NO __

20. Are you looking for a solution?
YES __ NO __

What's your score? One answer of YES signals you may have a problem.
Try "The Program of Recovery."
rkdian34

Postby rkdian34 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:55 pm

Rkdian34 wrote: I would agree with this questionaire also if you change Sober to Dry.
Last edited by rkdian34 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rkdian34

Postby GeoffS » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:38 pm

Semantics!!
GeoffS

Postby rkdian34 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:45 pm

There is a description of "Dry" in the BB. Not Semantics!

Charles I. "Recovered Alcoholic"
Last edited by rkdian34 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
rkdian34

Postby Dallas » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:29 am

When I get so "unique and special" or, I become a "special breed of alcoholic" -- I'm falling into the Ego traps mentioned on pages 60-through 64 of the Big Book....my motives and intentions may be good -- but I may be stepping on and breaking the toes of those that I want to help.

Dallas B.

---------------

HONESTY WITH NEWCOMERS

December 18, 2009

"Tell him exactly what happen to you. Stress the spiritual feature freely."
Alcoholics Anonymous Page 93

The marvel of A.A. is that I tell only what happen to me. I don’t waste time offering advice to potential newcomers, for if advice worked, nobody would get to A.A. All I have to do is show what has brought me sobriety and what has changed my life. If I fail to stress the spiritual feature of A.A.’s program, I am being dishonest. The newcomer should not be given a false impression of sobriety. I am sober only through the grace of my Higher Power, and that makes it possible for me to share with others.

~ from the book: Daily Reflections
Last edited by Dallas on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Big Book Study