- Step one is it 2 parts ??

Step one is it 2 parts ??

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

Step one is it 2 parts ??

Postby loosh » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:38 pm

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol-that our lives had become unmanageable. It took me a while to concede to my innermost self that my life had become unmanageable ....I thought i'd the choice.. ie whether or not to drink..but experience/s learned me otherwise....i lost the choice....i'd NO mental defence against alcohol....therefore after denying unmanageability for years in AA....and getting sicker & sicker due to my misunderstanding what step 1.. FOR ME...was about ALL of it.. and not just pre hyphen. Many alcoholics i know ONLY take pre hyphen and live happy contented sober lives within AA helping other alcoholics ...the longest sober is 46 years. I have been sober [ odaat] 26 years ...Got into programme 22 years ago ....after 4 years of not very happy 'abstinence'....my friends/family always used to say when i was drinking ...." He's ok when sober !!"...I thought i should've been...Anyway..me/them thinking that never helped...as i look at page 34 -3rd. edition. ie ..." Whether such a person can quit upon a nonspiritual basis depends upon the extent to which he has already lost the power to choose whether he will drink or not " ...That was the type of alcoholic i was i had LOST the choice.!!..my friend of 46 years sober.. AND many others ..HAD the choice....therefore did'nt need to go the spiritual route....I hear much talk these days about 2 fold illness ?OR ..3 fold ? For ME ....i looked at page 64...3rd. edition..." we have been spiritually sick. When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically "...I had a 3 fold ...my friend 'only'2 fold...the strange thing seems to be.... so called 'recovery' meetings refer to 2 fold ...and so called.. 'ordinary' meeting refer to 3 fold ...seems it should be other way around ??....I've been happy ,joyous and free ...since i started practicing steps 11-10-12..on a daily basis.....long may it continue...the programme i avoided for 10 years...does work...i personally can do what i want -apart from drink.
loosh

Postby Dallas » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Hello loosh! Welcome to the site! And, thanks for your participation! I look forward to reading more from you. I hope you're not too cold in the UK tonight! We have many blizzards and freezing here. Someone said: "That's an outstanding example of global warming!" :lol: :lol:

Keep coming back! I appreciate you.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby loosh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:25 am

Hi Dallas....Thanks for your warm welcome.....the snow is getting more heavy here in Glasgow....Scotland..[ BUT it's still only 1" deep ]....I'm not very clued up on using p.c.....re emoticons..etc. etc. a bit of a techno-phobe really....hope your heating is fired up.... :D
loosh

Postby Bill_J » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:54 pm

the 1s step seemed strange for me when i first came through the doors of A.A. i knew with out a doubt i was powerless over alcohol,, i had tried to quit on my own,, lasted almost 5 months but when i relapsed it was huge and distructive... the "life had become unmanageable" part was confusing at 1st... i was ready to go to any length,, heck if i was told,, we need to nail your hands to the table to get you to quit.,, i would have willingly offered them my hands and provided the nails and hammer... but i still could not see the unmanageabilty... during the highest points of my addictions i owed 3 houses my kids had the best of everything we had money good cars, non of which i earned legaly but i went into it eyes open knew the risks i was taking and made my choices...as it was explained to me and i now understand it was those choices,, the 10,000 t.v's in my head all on different chanels and i had no idea where the remote was... i over anylized everything,, i was willing to risk everything and everyone,, i was cridecal and abusive..a normal thinking person does not live that way... as step three states we turned our will and lives over to God.. the lives are our actions and will is our thoughts,, actions were my drinking and will was my thinking..i needed to put down the drink but with out relearning how to think and live i would again be drunk in no time.. maybe i was over complicating it so my sponcer had to explain it to me this way for me to understand but it helped me and made it easier to get it through my thick skull..
Bill_J

Postby Dallas » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:26 pm

It wasn't until I was totally convinced of my powerlessness... in regards to returning to drinking... that I was ready and willing to take the 12 Steps.

I believe we make a huge mistake whenever we recommend that new people start with Chapter 5, How it works... and they try to sort it out from there on, in regards to the 12 Steps... without reading the four chapters and the Dr's Opinion prior to trying to deal with Chapter 5.

The BB is a text book. Like a math text book that deals with adding and subtracting and multiplying in the first few chapters... before it gets to the chapter on algebra.

The Dr.'s Opinion, sets up the entire reason that the 12 Steps are vital to sobriety for the alcoholic (In regards to AA's experience and solution).

The Dr.'s Opinion and first four chapters of the BB, deal with the simple things that we must know before we get to trying to work the algebra in Chapter 5.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tim-one » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:03 am

To me, the hyphen in the first step is important.

There are a few grammatic uses for hyphen. I like two of them in step 1.

1. "In other words" - indicating a re-statement of the same concept in different words. I am powerless over alcohol. [In other words:] my life had become unmanagable.

2. "As pointed out by" - indicating a reason the previous statement is true. I am powerless over alcohol [as evidenced by] my life had become unmanageable.

Either one works for my thinking.

I know there's a lot of talk about which came first, the insanity or the drinking. I don't really care. By the end, the two were so tightly woven together that they were one fabric. Indistinguishable. Couldn't unweave it.

I drank because my life was messed up. My life was messed up because I drank.

I think step one is a one-parter. One points out the other, before and after the hyphen. Took away my alcoholic ability to think, "If I just stop drinking, my life will be perfect."

NOPE. Gotta change my mind.

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Postby Dallas » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:57 pm

The insanity that Step 2 refers to is "alcoholic insanity." Some, were nuts before the first drink and some weren't. But, that's a different kind of nuts... and insanity.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tim-one » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:55 am

Yeah ... I told my sponsor, "Step 2 assumes I was sane sometime before for me to be 'restored' to."

Kinda like the "System Restore" function, I'd have to choose a date when my computer acted right to go back to. I can't swear it was ever perfect. Maybe it just wasn't this worse.

Best I could do was choose a better time or at least reasonable in relation to.

Thing is, whatever condition was my natural state, drinking made everything worse; never better.

All I can swear to today is that I've never been THIS sane. And I like it.

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Return to Sponsors Forum