- The Steps with No Numbers - in Bill's Story

The Steps with No Numbers - in Bill's Story

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby Dallas » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:49 am

When our co-founder, Bill W., took his Steps – the Steps had not yet been written down and numbered.

Of particular interest to me, as I studied Bill’s Story, Chapter 1, in the book, Alcoholics Anonymous, was to take notes of the actions that Bill was taking to produce his Spiritual Experience – and, then comparing his actions which later were written down and numbered, and became our 12 Steps, as we know them today.

Below are some of my notes taken while I was reading Bill’s Story, .

This all started as I was searching through the Big Book looking for all occurrences of the word “requirement.â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:09 am

I was just re-reading this message and noticed something that I don't recall if I ever noticed as strikingly as I did tonight.

We often quote the three essentials: Honesty, Open-Mindedness and Willingness.

Here's what caught my attention tonight:

Page 13-14, Bill's Story, Alcoholics Anonymous wrote:My friend promised when these things were done I
would enter upon a new relationship with my Creator;
that I would have the elements of a way of living which
answered all my problems. Belief in the power of God,
plus enough willingness, honesty and humility to establish and maintain the new order of things, were
the essential requirements

That gives me something to re-consider and take a more detailed look at my present experience and understandings.

Bill appeared to have a spontaneous spiritual awakening in a dramatic proportion -- compared to the most often referred to, as "the slower kind" of spiritual awakening that takes place over a longer period of time.

For a long time, I've believed that any person can re-create the results of most any other person -- if they specifically follow the precise actions, thoughts, and attitudes of the person who achieved the results that they desire to repeat.

I think it's a good time for me to take another look and another inventory of Bill's precise actions... and thoughts... and to take another self-examination to see what I might have missed! :wink:

I'm off the to mental-drawing-board of my mind for some concentrated reading, reflection, prayer and meditation ! :lol:

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby loosh » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:38 am

Hi Dallas....what do you think of the first 'half' of step 1 being on page 11 re halfway down... "Like myself ,he had admitted complete defeat " ?? [though he was drinking then] further down same page "There had been no more power in him than there was in me at that minute ;and this was none at all". WAS this him admitting being powerless over alcohol ? And then in hospital taking 2nd.'half' re page 13 [ 10 lines down ]..."I admitted for the first time that of myself i was nothing ; that without him i was lost "
[ that his life had become unmanageable ] ??

Re page 12 [ + halfway down ] "It was only a matter of being willing to believe in a Power greater than myself " =step 2??

Page13....[ 7 lines down.] " I placed myself unreservedly under His care and direction" = step 3 ??

Page 13...[ 10 lines down ] "I ruthlessly faced my sins and became willing to have my new-found Friend take them away,root and branch." =steps 4+ first two thirds of 5 +6&7 ????

Page 13...[ "my schoolmate visited me, and i fully acquainted him with my problems and deficiencies.".....= final third of 5 ??

Page 13 ...following on from above...ending in the word "ability" ...= 8 & 9 ??

Page 13 [ Next paragraph ] " I was to sit quietly when in doubt,"

= 2nd.part of 11 ?

" asking only for direction and strength to meet my problems as He would have me " etc....= 1st. part of 11 ?

Page 13 [bottom paragraph ] & Page 14[ top 2 lines ] = 10 ??

Page 14 "I felt lifted " etc. to the second "through" = 1st.part of 12 ?

Page 14 [ second last paragraph ] "While" etc. to " them" = 2nd. part ?

AND Finally [below above ] "My friend" etc. to "affairs " = 3rd. part ?

See what you think Dallas ??...look forward to your perusal/opinion/s.
Thank you...[ hard work this typing with 1 finger !! ] :D :roll: :D
loosh

Postby Dallas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:44 pm

Sorry to hear about your only 1 finger. I understand. I only got one good eye! At least I don't have to type with it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My thoughts or opinions? :wink:

I think you did an absolutely outstanding and fabulous job in breaking it down to explain it very simply and specifically!!! Now, instead of explaining it to others -- I'll just refer them here to your message!

Bill W., was into logic and analysis in his thinking patterns. This was handy for him in the Stock business. He also studied law at night school. So, when I read his writings, and understanding patterns in his thinking, it helps me find some of the dots of ideas leading to other dots of ideas as building blocks in constructing what he wanted to illustrate in his written communications.

One of my teachers from school had said to the class "If you want to better understand and comprehend what you're reading -- it's a good thing to try and find out how the author thinks." I'll never forget that lesson. Each time I pick up a book to read I try to find out about the author and it helps me to comprehend what the author intended to convey rather than what I might add to it and perceive that he intended.

Thank you! I appreciate you and your typing efforts! Even with more than one finger... typing, reading, researching, and breaking things down into understandable bits for a guideline takes time, effort and work. So, double thank you!!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Glad I popped by for a look at this. A small gang of us in Singapore have started off the year by doing some group step work. I'm going to share this stuff with them. Mighty fine work :P
Ranman99

Return to 12 Steps