- Step one prayer?

Step one prayer?

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Step one prayer?

Postby camel89 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:50 pm

Hi! First of all, a happy, healthy and sober Christmas to all! Next...I'm the newsletter editor for my district and each month I put the step, traditin and prayer that correlates with the number month. Well, we're at Step One for January and I can't find a Step One prayer in the Big Book or the 12X12. Can anyone help me? We like to stick with conference approved literature for the quotes, so any book will do! Thanks!!
camel89

Postby Dan C » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:49 pm

I've not seen a First Step prayer, nor ever heard mention of one even in the Charley and Joe step studies. Not saying though, that one doesn't exist somewhere.

The prayer I said with Step One went like this:

GOD HELP ME!

Step One is to convince us [objectively] of the two-fold problem - powerlessness and unmanageability - simply a "conclusion of the mind" as Charley P. puts it.

The idea of dependence upon a Power Greater Than Ourselves [as a workable solution] doesn't come into play until Step Two.
Dan C

Postby blueangel » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:03 pm

I have a twelve step prayer book that has that prayer in it but I can't find it...arggg. i have to find it...shame on me :D Kay
blueangel

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:20 am

hey Dan, welcome to the site... i do not recall a step1 prayer, per say...l but when i was new, my sponser said hit the knees. pray, and pray rightly... he say if i do not have a prayer, or do not choose any from my childhood, or religious upbringing... make one up of my own. but get in the habbit. he also said always remember to say...." If it be Thy Will"... til this day, and i shure have somthing to pray on tonight... i am not God, and to pray on changing a bad sittuation to something i believe will be better, is ok, then comes the Thy Will bit... sad, but just is. he say thats how i know, or learn to know... i'm not The Power That Be... Blue, find that prayer, i need everyone i can find... ppfftt... used up all mine...lol goodnight... good wishes, and blessings...xo RZ
Rusty Zipper

1st step prayer found

Postby blueangel » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:35 pm

Today, I ask for help with my addiction. Denial has kept me from seeing how powerless I am and how my life is unmanageable. I need to learn and remember that I have an incurable illness and that abstinence is the only way to deal with it.

I got this out of a 12 step prayer book that I have been looking for. Things have gotten mislayed lately with weddings, holidays, and hurricanes so sorry for the delay on finding it.

Hope all is well for everyone, and God Bless, Kay
blueangel

Postby Rusty Zipper » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:12 am

land sakes, that sound familiar? Hmmm what the name of the book? bfn xo RZ
Rusty Zipper

Postby blueangel » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:16 am

It sounds almost like an NA prayer, with that *addiction* wording in it, but it came from a book I have called "The 12 Step Prayer Book" written and compiled by Bill P. and Lisa D. I love the thing due to it having all the prayers imaginable in it and alot of inspirational readings.
God Bless, Kay :D
blueangel

Step 1 prayer...

Postby musicmode » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:36 am

My name's Anne, I'm an alcoholic,

First of all, I claim to know nothin'...as opposed to claimin' to know everything when I drank. :? I'm currently holdin' up in a safe house, & as God as I understand Him would have it, there's a lady here who's got 20+ years in the program...I asked 'er 'bout a step 1 prayer, she says she's never been aware of such. I's gonna go out on a limb here & take a flyin' leap here...1st Step Prayer??....
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,
The courage to say the things that I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference, Amen.
'Course...for me, it went somethin' along the lines of: Oh God, I can't take this anymore, take it from me...I was a lonnng ways past half past drunk let me tell ya. :mrgreen: ...ya...Mr. Green with no smile.
~~For what it's worth...like I said...claim to know nothin', was told when I come in though that by sayin' the Serenity Prayer, I'd taken the 1st step.
Later gators,
Anne
musicmode

Postby Dallas » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:58 am

Hey Anne,

Glad to see you've visited us again.

Thanks for your sharing.

I was reading the 12 & 12 last night, on Step 7... and Bill W. mentions the acceptance of our powerlessness over alcohol as being the essence of our First Step. So, I think you'd be right on target with your message... if there was such a thing as an Official AA "Step One Prayer."

Powerless over alcohol is the thing that I cannot change. I can do something about it... but not change it.

My First Step prayer started off something like this:

"God, please don't get pissed at me for praying to you. I don't know if there is One of you, or a bunch of you, or if I have to go through layers of God or what... so if there are a few of you out there... please don't be angry with me, I'm trying to locate the one that helps those drunks in AA to get and stay sober."

I had already been to AA, once. During that first visit, the Serenity Prayer and the concept of Powerless made me want to puke. My head said "Those dumb A A-sses have never seen the likes of someone as powerful as me!!! I'll use my own solution... and go to their meetings for six months... stay bone dry sober... and prove that I'm not one of them."

I sure did want to make the six months sober mark... it was going to be my guarantee and my proof, that I was just a hard and heavy drinker, who sometimes had unfortunate problems while drinking, and that I had such powers of self-reliance, self-will and self-control... and such an awesome all powerful me that if I was physically sober... I could do anything.... including not take the first drink... IF I didn’t want to... and, to be able to control it, and stop drinking again, anytime that I choose to do so! I’m unique! I’m not like them!

It’s funny now... when I look back at me, on my first shot at AA.

When I showed up at AA’s Central Office, my first time around... I had the shakes, I was hallucinating, and I was looking for a rubber room that I could be locked up and kept in, because I had gone nuts and couldn’t stop drinking, and it was killing me!!! And... after only a week of physically sober “I could handle the problem myself!â€
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby lauriekn » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:03 pm

Hi! I like some others have said am not aware of a step one prayer (other than the listed GOD PLEASE HELP ME!) I have found much comfort and strength in the 3rd step prayer that I say just about daily...

God, I give myself to thee, to build with me and do with me as thou will.
Releive me of the bondage of self that I may better do thy will.
Take away my difficulties that victory over them may bear wittness to those that I would help of thy Power, thy Love, and thy way of life. May I do thy will always...

Prayer in general...talking to God is one of the best things we can do on a daily basis... I know it makes a difference in THIS alcoholic's life. Talk to God... talk to others and enjoy the magic!

Have an awesome day!!
*hugs*
Laurie :lol:
lauriekn

Next

Return to 12 Steps