- Appetite out of control since quitting

Appetite out of control since quitting

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Appetite out of control since quitting

Postby cogringo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:26 pm

Anyone else out there gain a voracious appetite after quitting drinking? I am sure it has to do with something with all the empty calories I once pumped into my stomach but man I feel like I could eat a horse.

Any ideas to lessen that appetite?
Thx

Day 10 alcohol free
cogringo

Postby ccs » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:58 pm

for me it was sweets (still is some times :lol: )
but you know thats what the alcohol ends up to be in our body anyway
at ten days I was grateful to be able to eat!!! it helped me with the alcohol cravings OH BOY I ate a pint of ben&jerrys or hagendaas icecream everynite on the couch in front of the tv :lol:

my sponsor said do you wanna be drunk or fat & happy :lol:

I think we all go through something like this like you said we have neglected our bodies for so long they are just craving healthy food

maybe try that healthier foods 6 small meals instead of 3 large ones
please dont eat the horse :lol:

and of course that dreaded 4letter word give it time sweetie let your body catchup on the nutrients it needs to keep you healthy

thats what was suggested to me and it worked!!! I`m still a little bigger than I was but my family and I like the bigger me much better than the drunk me!! oneday onething onestep at a time
thanks for being here and helping me today your Sister in Sobriety
:D :wink:
LUV-2-ALL Cess
ccs

Postby ccs » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:00 pm

and oh yes way to go congrats on your 10 days awesome!!!!!!!!! :D :D
ccs

Postby cogringo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Thanks CCS! The 6 small meals sounds good. I hear you on the sweets. I sat down and ate like half of bag of chocolate the other night.
cogringo

Postby Dallas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:13 am

but man I feel like I could eat a horse

My suggestion??? Go ahead and eat the horse if it helps you not take the next first drink!!! :lol: You can always so something about weight gain later on... but maintaining sobriety... we get very small windows of opportunity!

Most often, when we're still drinking... we're neglecting our bodies by not giving it proper nutrition. Often, when we get sober... the food not only tastes better, but it makes us feel better! So, us people that get addicted to anything that makes us feel better... get hooked on eating! :lol:

Don't worry about it. Easy does it.

You might want to look into vitamins and supplements.... Especially the B vitamins and vitamin D and C. Minerals are important too. Especially copper and zinc.

Carbohydrates in foods change the way we feel... and it's the carbohydrates that people can get addicted to... plus they cause you to get fat! ( I know!) :lol:

Either way... it's probably a good idea to just focus on sobriety for now! Once you get comfortable with sobriety and living sober... you'll be able to accomplish anything else that you desire to accomplish!

Keep coming back and best wishes for you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby cogringo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks, I have begun trying to buy healthy snacks since my "pig out" phase. Hopefuly that will help.
cogringo

Postby dancingphoenix » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:58 pm

It sounds like most people go through weird food cravings when they stop drinking.

When it hit me, my boyfriend said it's quite normal...and went out and bought me sour gummi worms! :D Whodathunkit, they worked. It helped my alcohol cravings...that and Hot Tamales! :D

As others have said in this thread, it's better to indulge in a bit of unnecessary eating than a drink. Just try to not overdo it! :)

I'm at 30 days-ish and I'm enjoying crafting new meals that I've never made and having fun creating healthy (or not!) meals to sensually enjoy. I try to intensely enjoy other tactile and physical/emotional things that are more healthy than alcohol. I find if I focus on the enjoyment of that present moment's experience, it helps with distracting me from alcohol cravings.

And don't forget, lots of meetings!!! Exercise, even mild walks, helps too...and lots of water!
dancingphoenix

Postby Bobby D » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:54 am

For me it's been an indredible sweet tooth... I can eat a pint or two of ice cream after dinner wtching the toob... I think it's a comfort thing....
Like the others have said.. not worrying about that right now.. I'm not drinking !!! I'm nearing 90 days.. even with the glutony I'm down nearly 15 pounds

contradulations to you and thanks for sharing

Bob
Bobby D

Postby Rain » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:06 am

I haven't read it in a long time, but there is a book by Janet Keller Phelps, MD called "The Hidden Addiction" it addresses the connection between alcoholism and sugar :shock: Who Knew?

This is typical; there is a scene in a move about getting sober where the guy asks his sponsor who is eating a big bowl of ice cream "What is with you people and food? You're like a pack of wild dogs!" :D
Rain

Postby Dallas » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:17 pm

I'll have to look around for that book and check it out.

I read one about Carbohydrate Addiction, that may be similar to it.

Evidently, Carbohydrates change the way we feel. Mood elevator and feelings of comfort. Some of us, I guess, get hooked on the changed feelings and stuff carbohydrates -- the brain learns it's a fix -- and then suddenly we're obsessing on carbohydrates. That's a summary of what I understood about it.
Dallas
Site Admin

Next

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober