- Newcomer

Newcomer

Alcoholics and Addicts sharing their personal recovery story with us to help others who want to recover.

Newcomer

Postby niteporter » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:38 am

Hi everyone, new to the forum- sober 27 days today. Cold turkey, two days of DT's in my room, feeling lots better now. 27 years of boozing, last 8 years 15 to 25 drinks a day, usually vodka. Began having daily blackouts about 6 months ago, lost whole days- could not recall anything, but there were the notes in my computer...damned if I wasn't talking to clients and taking notes! Woke up puking bile in the shower, breakfast drank beer with eggs to take the shakes off. Kept a pint in my desk, started in at 9-10 am. Lunch was 4-6 drinks, usually martinis or bloody marys (no odor, or so I thought!) On the way home would stop and buy those sodapop smirnoff things, and drive through the mcdonalds- "large coke please, hold the coke"- pour the alky-pop into the cup and sip the six-pack in traffic on 85. Stop at the package store for a sixer of guinness and another two vodka pint bottles, one to kill at home another for the desk at work tomorrow.
Drunk 24/7, even taking the kids to movies, campouts, scouts etc. I was a pillar of strength, fancied myself a real Winston Churchill, drunk as hell and leading my people through the battle of britain- totally into the "high functioning alcoholic" myth.
I'm only 40, and realize now that I have a chance to see 50. Never will if I keep drinking. Sure helps to share, it really keeps me focused hearing other folks share.
niteporter

Postby Dallas » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:42 am

Hey NitePorter!

You sound well preserved!!! :lol:

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you here.

When I drank like you did... there was no way anyone or anything could convince me that I was alcoholic!!! I thought all of us normal folks drank that way!

Keep coming back. Thanks for sharing.

Dallas

P.S. Aren't those DT's lots of fun? Zing! Zang! Zip! Was it real or was it Memorex? My hand? Which one? Is that my hand? I thought it was a fish out of water! They're both into unprogrammed automatic action! Fling! Flang! Zip! Why are my body parts doing this?

Yep. Been there. Done that. Sure don't want to do it again!!! Staying sober that first 30 days, and then sixty and ninety!!! Yikes! It was like cruel and unusual punishment!
Dallas
Site Admin

Thanks Dallas

Postby niteporter » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:22 pm

Appreciate the reply! The DT's were a real riot, seeing black pennies falling from the ceiling, hearing what sounded like a room full of babies giggling, skin creepy crawling all over me...Called them "pennies from heaven"- gotta laugh to keep from cryin'. Visually no worse than a good hit of acid.

Today is 28 days and I'm on my way to a nooner meeting. Thanks again- good to be where I'm at.
niteporter

Postby Rusty Zipper » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:00 pm

hey Night, welcome... i herd the words, 'DT's", and "Zip", ha...ohoh, were you the one i was match'n shots with???... yea Night, and D... what i read in all the books about DT's... ya know what?... its all true, and more!!!... how bout the real crowd pleaser?... the neverending fear of impending doom!!! ppfftt, phoey indeed i says lol.... lets us know how ya do'n Night-P? good wishes, xo Zip, ha :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Re: Thanks Dallas

Postby Sam » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:00 am

niteporter wrote:skin creepy crawling all over me

It was years before I realised that's what people called the "electric fleas" (that's what it's called in Oz anyway). Welcome again!
Sam

Postby Dallas » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:11 am

Sam,

That sounds like an entreprenuerial idea! Electric Fleas! No battery required! Very marketable. I like that. I'll have to add that to my toy box and see how many miles I can get on it. :lol: And, I had always just called them the crawlies! Little invisible bugs.

Thanks for the addition!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby crickit » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:25 am

I have a long history of bi-polar illness so I've been in and out of the psych wards for along time. After my last drunk in Feb 05, I attempted suicide 'again' and ended up back on the 5th floor. This was actually a day or two after that last drunk that I was taken there so no one knew I was a drunk. I kept that well hidden.

So don't you know, I start getting this buzzing in my ears like someones trying to squish my brain. I wanted to get a shower but the silly string was burning my skin. People would talk to me and I couldn't understand a word they said and there were even times that their lips would move and the speach would come out later. I just knew they were all getting together to talk about how much I was drinking. I was tired all the time but could sleep. I was sweating buckets but couldn't get warm enough. I kept vomitting and thought I must be coming down with the flu but in my head I knew I must be dying. They wanted to lable me schitzophrenic but I told them it's not voices in my head, it's noises.

Well after a couple of weeks, things started to come into focus and I was able to talk about what lead me to the hospital this time. That's when I remembered how much drinking and drugging I was doing and that's when I realized I 'might' be an alcoholic. (I also realized that my higher power was not going to let me die so I might as well learn how to live).

I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone but I would gladly tell anyone what I can remember of that stay in the hospital just to show someone where alcohol can lead you. I never though in a million years I drank that much or that I was an alcoholic.

But here I am, almost a year later and still sober cause 'I keep comin back'

Bright Blessings
Crickit
xxoo
crickit

Postby Rusty Zipper » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:23 am

Cricket, gald ya do'n ok... being Bi-Polor aint no fun, let alone in recovery... a real close persional friend of mine is diagnosed with it for years... it's ruff enough in recovery and to be Bi-P taboot aint make'n it easier...i have true compassion for you... you might stil get some more bumps and bruises along the way because of it... so try to stay real plug'd in to your recovery... i wish you all the best wishes, and bless you C... xo PC :wink:
Rusty Zipper

hi ya guys n gals

Postby musicmode » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:59 am

My name is Anne I'm an alcoholic,

Been a while since I've cruised past this hang-out. Welcome niteporter, hope ya'll's still poppin' by here ever'now&then. Man, let me tell ya...I didn't need no tickets to Daytona or the Indi 500, they was all doin' laps thru every vein, artery, corpusle, muscle with no pit-stops. My HP drug my rubber legs into that AA room, I sat hunched on the table just to keep itfrom shakin' so much...someone pours me half-a styrofoam cup-o-java, & it took me both hands to lift it to my lips. My-my, & what a sight I was, too--couple months later, one-a the guys said that I was a yellowish-greenish-greyish-ickcolor. I remember my skin crawlin', & that band-a gypsies in my head was louder than any ACDC I'd ever played. Can we say insanity?? U-huh. My head didn't start clearin' much for about a month. I drank Jack Daniels, I drank whatever had the most alcohol in it for the cheapest price (more bangfor my buck). Geesh...I am grateful my HP grabbed the back of my head & said 'smarten up'. Gotta remember that 'drunk ugly' place...so I can remember I don't wanna go back to that.

Easy does it,
Annie 8)
musicmode

happy birthday-Cricket...

Postby musicmode » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:03 am

Meant to add that...Feb/'05...way to go, kiddo. Keep comin' back, all your dreams can and will come true...that guarantee was made to me, and dreams have come true...some of 'em I didn't even know I had-&I was told that, too.

Happy birthday, baby--eee-eya.

Annie 8)
musicmode

Return to Addiction Recovery Stories