- Lost Of Control

Lost Of Control

Expect the unexpected... or discovered the unsuspected?

Lost Of Control

Postby sa » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi Friends,

the last months have been pretty tough for me. At the end of June last year I had a bad accident; a horse I did ride bucked so badly that I got smashed against the cement-wall of the riding hall. When I crashed against the wall I could hear the breaking of my bones. In the hospital they told me that I had broken 5 vertebraes; I was incredibly lucky because I did not enp up beeing paralyzed .

Since then the long time of physical recovery has been started. I had to do a lot of special back exercises to build up muscles. So far I have been very successful; my most important goal was NOT to take painkillers or beeing on such mediacation. beeing a sober alcoholic I do not want that and I also think that would not be good for me. So I get acupuncture twice a month and do a lot of exercises for my back.

But this accident also showed me one more time very drastically that things are not under my control. I cannot plan or knwo what the futire might bring, and that is a scary thought. Of course I know that everybody dies but it is a completely different thing to make such an experience like this fightening accident. But I hope that I can get back to my normal life which means to really live it without wondering what the day might bring.

Best Wishes

Sabine
sa

Postby GeoffS » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:09 pm

thats amazing that you've got through something as bad as that. you are a great example of just how this AA design for living works in rough going.

hope you keep doing well.
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:40 pm

I ditto what GeoffS wrote. Thank you for being a great example! And, I, too, hope you keep getting better and better and better!

I understand about going through some similar things that you've experienced. We're not God... so naturally... we're not in control. However, I do believe that we can influence and that good planning is part of the way I've learned to live AA. "We consider our plans for the day"..... and we ask God for guidance, direction, courage, and the power to carry them out. Then, we suit up and show up and give it our best efforts. When things don't go our way -- they don't go our way. So, we get up, shake off, and get busy again into more action.

Life happens the way Life happens. Regardless if we're sober or not Life will be what Life will be. So, we learn to accept it as something that is working together with other things that happen for our Highest Good.

Bill W. once wrote something about the good -- sometimes, is the enemy of the best. We want the good... and sometimes fail to see that the good is not the best. And, sometimes that's frustrating! It can be painful and/or it can be pleasurable. :wink:

Once I was going through some bad stuff and I asked my sponsor "Why does God let this crap happen to me when I've been trying so hard to make progress?" And, he said: "I understand. Maybe He isn't finished with you yet!"

What we walk through doesn't define us -- how we respond to it describes us. :wink:

Thank you for sharing what's going on with you and what you've been going through... it's this kind of sharing from the heart about living sobriety -- that has the Power to help us all! I appreciate you!

Best regards,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sa » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:25 am

Hi Dallas, Hi Geoffs,

thank you for your sharing. Yep, life is life and I can be prepared but it might turn out completely differently...If I wouldn´t have been in AA since such a long time this accident would have been much harder for me.

After the accident I had to lay down really still for 3 weeks in the hospital; that was not easy for me....I took one day at a time , that was a great help for me. Everytime when I got scared and wondered how and whether my spine might heal I reminded myself to stay in the present, to just take this one day. Probably that also helped in the (physical) healing process; the spine healed really great and I am getting better everytime . I hope I can get back soon to my work (it´s an office job) .

I look at this as a challenge; the challenge for me is being patient. I am not a very patient person and this process takes a LOT of patience. And for the fear of the unexpected, the unknown future I really have to remind myself all the time to stay in the present - One Day at a Time !

Best Wishes

Sabine
sa

Postby Dallas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Sabine, you're in my thoughts... and I'm thinking positive thoughts for your well-being, your health, and your healing. And, my heart is with you in your pain. If I can help in any way, please let me know! I appreciate you and I hope that you keep coming back! I enjoy reading your sharing!

Best regards,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sa » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:58 am

Dallas,

thanks for the nice thoughts. My back is getting better everyday; thank God I have learned to keep some discipline. I go every day (YEP !) to the gym, for doing all kinds of exercises. They told me that the most important thing for healing your back is exercises. So I am doing that. So far things are fine, and I am really grateful that I do not have to take any mediciation.

Sober 24 hours

Sabine
sa

Postby Dallas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:30 am

I understand back injuries. :wink: I've had a couple of them that literally landed me on my back. Their painful and not fun. I still have problems with my back and leg but they say the only alternative is surgery... and I'm not going there. :lol: The back exercises help a lot!

Wishing you a fabulous Friday... unless it's already Saturday where you are! If it's already Saturday... I wish you a fabulous Saturday!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby tim-one » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 am

WOW !

Sabine,

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your experience. I particularly appreciate your strength and hope !

Geez ... you're on my prayer list now. But I can't think of a better prayer than, "Just keep doing that. You're such a wonderous God !"

Sounds like you're living above normal life. I can only hope that for myself. Not that life will be normal or even better, but that I will be ... like you.

This stuff works, TIM. Don't stop now ! :wink: (Am I convinced yet?) 8)

God bless you more, Sabine. Keep getting better. You'll be back to work soon enough.

Love,
Tim1
tim-one

Return to Expect The Unexpected in Sobriety