- hello, i'm new

hello, i'm new

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

hello, i'm new

Postby Missy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:17 pm

I'm new to this site and not sure what I'm doing either.
Missy

Postby Dallas » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:35 pm

Hello Missy,

Welcome to www.Step12.com -- Glad you stopped by.

Have you found anything on the site that interests you?

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Missy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:27 pm

Thanks Dallas, I've been trying to figure out how to find a sponsor. I have stopped drinking and drugging many times but I've not been able to stop drinking. So I guess my way isn't working. I have never worked the steps.
Missy

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:14 pm

hello de'r Missy... hi-ya, hi-ya , hi-ya... Missy, find a meets, keep going.... listen to what people share... and i mean listen... try not to here what you may like to hear. hear what you need to hear... look for a person that makes you go wow, i cant believe this is possable... they have a outlook that i want, need or dream of having... Missy when you find that person, and you will. your wants, needs, and dreams, are now possabilities! that person might just be the sponser for you... good wishes Missy, and bless... xo Rusty :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Postby Dallas » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:44 am

Hey Missy,

My suggestion would be to immediately get the Big Book, Alcholics Anonymous and start reading it from the front cover, all the way through.

It will provide you with some vital information about alcoholism and recovery. (It's the only AA book that is the text book on AA's Program of Recovery). By reading the book, you'll be able to tell what suggestions that you hear in meetings should be left in the meeting... which suggestions are the real deal, and which one's are just the "program according to someone's head."

I don't mean that as a negative towards meetings... but, for the last 19 years... I've heard many things in meetings that would have guaranteed me drinking myself to death... had I not read the book.

My very first sponsor told me "I can be wrong... but the book is never wrong. If I ask you to do something, and do it in a way that's different than the book... disregard what I said."

It's kind of like a metaphor of going to the airport. At the airport, many people are going to be flying... but only a few will end up at the same destination. Become a frequent flyer... and be sure you travel with those who are headed to where you want to go.

Hope that helps.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

sponsor

Postby Missy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:18 pm

Thank u Rusty, How long does someone need to be sober b4 u ask them to be a sponser? There is a lady that I really enjoy but she has only been sober a year.
Thaks Missy
Missy

Big Book

Postby Missy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:23 pm

Dallas I hear them talking about the big book all the time. Like I said b4 I have gotton soober b4 but it does not seem to stick, so tonight when I go to AA tonight I am going to buy a BB.
Thanks Missy
Missy

Postby Rusty Zipper » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:00 pm

mor'n M...hope ya well? great question... oe that one, ya know that person knows how to stay sober a bit... has she gone thru the step?... hows her reactions to life, and herself?... how does she treat others? ya get the drift... remember M, it aint the cloathes she wares, the car she drives, or the armcandy... its about the soull... the spirit... remember a good sponser is gunna get you piised off, angry, at times resentfull... and more.... and why? its not them, its us.... a good sponser has some insite , and is gunna say things we do not like to hear, but need to... i do not think the time is as important, as the the "Fire" under ther ass... the Fire to be all as they can be..... happy hunt'n. lol, ppfftt, i had a sponsee just aft'a my first year... what a ride that ones... i tell ya about it some time. oh, bruth'a... did i learn a bit... and it was learn'n about me... ouch :roll: ttusoon, xo, RZ :wink:
Rusty Zipper

welcome Missy

Postby musicmode » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:47 pm

Hell--looo Missy, and welcome to the show 8)

My name is Anne, and I am an alcoholic.

When I first come into the program, I heard 'get a sponsor', so I gotta sponsor...I was willing to go to any length. Wellll, this lady comes over with a written out list of instructions, I was to do things
her way, I was to talk to no one else but her, listen to no one else but her, and the BB was just an example only, do the steps herway. I wasn't to talk to any of the guys in the group, wasn't even supposed to associate with them. She attached herself to me my very first meein', it'd been 4 days since my last drink, n I was still drunk/hungover, a shakin' down crawlin' mess. My head--heck, my whole upper body felt as though I had a sledge hammer around my neck---n this woman was 'bout to---well, ya'll get the drift. We all went to a local hangout after the meetin', that group was big on fellowship--it was cool. The guys were over at their own table watchin' a hockey game...I couldn't see it cuz my vision was still quite blurry (to say the least)...'n this parrot of a woman is natterin' in my ear. Next thing I know, this humungous piece of black forest cake gets plunked down in front-a me...my eyes went big, I sat up..don't know when the last time I ate was. The waitress said this was from the guys...this woman picks up this plate n goes to hand it back to the waitress...I tell ya...that woman near lost her arm...I didn't care if Jack the Ripper sent it to me. Well...some months go by, n I'm still thinkin' this woman knows AA, right. She did-for better for worse-keep me sober. I started listenin' to these guys in the group, 'n how Rusty was sayin'...when it strikes the right chords...when it punches ya in the gut..n ya completely relate to what that person's sayin'...there's somethin' 'bout that. In that group, there was the 3 of 'em, 'n one of 'em asked me...'bout 6 months sober I was...asks me how it's goin'..I says "Some women'll make ya drink," In otherwords..I still had this..uh...what's that word??--oh..ya...attitude :oops: , he asks me what all was goin' on, how the steps were goin' 'n I told him...'n he says, "ya know...you canfire your sponsor,"...told me a few other things...but most important thing he said was...it helps to pray about a sponsor before hand, 'n when the 'right' person comes along, ya'll will know it. Don't just pick one to pick one...it's been my experience, 'n I've seen it, too...there are those 'cling-ons', too...who mean well, but might just make ya think that's the way it is, 'n if that's the way it is, ya might not want it...even at that though, those ones are good temp sponsors, cuz, even after all this time...that woman was there, she dealt with me when I just as soon kick in every door I passed just cuz the thought crossed my head, 'n there was stuff that she said that today, I think back 'n go, "Oooo-oh, now I know what she was goin' on 'bout." But, the program/BB way is the way to go. Thanks for lettin' me ramble 'n ramble...'n ramble. I don't stop in for a number of weeks..this is what happens. Just take it easy...don't rush things, 'n all will fall into place. Anne.
musicmode

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery