- 12 X 12. To use or not to use

12 X 12. To use or not to use

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

12 X 12. To use or not to use

Postby daily reprieve » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:28 pm

Up to this point, the Big Book is the only AA-approved literature that I have used when sponsoring a newcomer. We read The Doctor's Opinion and pages 1-164 together. I haven't found it necessary to use the 12x12 up to this point. When working the steps with the sponsors I have had, we never really got into the 12X12 much outside of step 4, 8 and 11. It's always been my understanding that the 12X12 was an in-depth essay about each step. When working with a new man, we always seem to make our own essay about each step when sharing our story and build upon our story with each step. Recently, a guy with some sobriety time told me he always used the 12X12 with every newcomer and made it seem like a necessity that it be used. It's always been my belief that the Big Book was the only literature which told precisely how to recover. The blueprint for recovery, if you will. Am I missing something by not using the 12X12? So far, the results have been favorable. If I do use the 12X12, how should I go about incorporating it into a program of recovery? My sobriety seems pretty solid having primarily used the Big Book with my sponsors. If there is a missing link in the 12X12 that can be used with the men I work with, I would appreciate your input.
daily reprieve

Postby gunner48 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:12 pm

The Big Book is the basic text in AA recovery. The 12 x 12 was not written to replace the big book. What it is, is 18 years of combined expierence. I use the 12 x 12 after completion of working the steps using only the big book. I find alot of useful imformation in the 12 x 12 ,ie: steps 6, 7 and 8. Whatever you are doing to help others that has proven to be effective is OK. I choose people who have something that I want to help me. I would think that the people that are asking you for help do so for the same reason. Keep up the effective work you are doing.

Peace and Love Gunner
gunner48

Postby MichalF » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:59 pm

A started doing AA 1989 using as base text 12/12 because first translated and aproved ediction of BB in Poland was in 1996.
We have had only short fragments to use for example -fragment of 5th Chapter in the meeting scenario.
We were going through recovery process, practicing 12 Steps successfully without BB
Amazing?
Thats true! :)
MichalF

Postby daily reprieve » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Thanks for the input, Gunner. It never dawned on me that I read the 12X12 the most AFTER doing all 12 steps. And I seemed to get the most out of it then, too. Definitely something to keep in mind.
daily reprieve

Postby tim-one » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:23 am

Thanks for your thoughts, guys.

Geez ... I just assumed the two books went together. Didn't know there might be a controversy. Every group I've ever been to has literature available - devotionals, meditations, etc. The list varies from group to group, but there are always two books in every library and sometimes the only books there - the BB and the 12/12. I just thunk they went together.

In my "sponsor tree" to way back it's been passed down that the BB is read. After each step in the BB is read and discussed, the appropriate step in the 12/12 is read and discussed and done before going on to the next step. Seems the 12/12 just drives the BB deeper in. Tamps it down a little more.

The two books are reconciled with the sponsee showing that they agree, support, and expound on each other. Sometimes saying the same thing in different vernacular/tone strikes the right spark.

Just seems right to me. Did me WONDERS ! And it has worked very well for my sponsees as it did on this sponsee and the sponsees that sponsored me. I don't see a reason to change it.

(A Vision For You - BB pg. 164) - "Our book is meant to be suggestive only. We realize we know only a little. God will constantly disclose more to you and to us. Ask Him in your morning meditation what you can do each day for the man who is still sick. The answers will come, if your own house is in order. But obviously you cannot transmit something you haven't got. See to it that your relationship with Him is right, and great events will come to pass for you and countless others. This is the Great Fact for us."

Grace.

Apparently God revealed more to Bill W. in the 14 years after the BB was published for him to write the 12/12. ya think? Thing is, to my meager mind, it's more simplification of the same book from the same guy under the same God. Kindofan addendum, I reckon.

Do what you got and what got you that, is what I figure.

I'm sure I have more controversial ideas than that. :wink:

Love y'all,
Tim1
tim-one

Postby Dallas » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:05 pm

At the time Bill was writing the 12 & 12, he was sober... but he became a real basket case as a result of his severe depression. Some, speculate that he got away from the ideals and ideas in the Big Book. If I were looking for a sponsor -- I would have much prefered the Bill W. that wrote the Big Book, as opposed to the Bill, that wrote the essays on the 12 Steps.

The introduction to the 12 & 12 explains the difference and purpose in the two books. The 12 & 12 was more for non-alcoholics and for AA's that were "seasoned"... meaning they had been around for a while... Oldtimers and not newcomers.
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Sponsors Forum