- Weeding the garden

Weeding the garden

Expect the unexpected... or discovered the unsuspected?

Weeding the garden

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:21 am

Weeding the garden

The essence of all growth is a willingness to make a change for the better and then an unremitting willingness to shoulder whatever responsibility this entails. AS BILL SEES IT, p. 115

By the time I had reached Step Three I had been freed of my dependence on alcohol, but bitter experience has shown me that continuous sobriety requires continuous effort. Every now and then I pause to take a good look at my progress. More and more of my garden is weeded each time I look, but each time I also find new weeds sprouting where I thought I had made my final pass with the blade. As I head back to get the newly sprouted weed (it’s easier when they are young), I take a moment to admire how lush the growing vegetables and flowers are, and my labors are rewarded. My sobriety grows and bears fruit.

--------------------------------------
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ccs » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:04 pm

I love this !!!! thanks Dallas I can relate to the new weeds alot today! and some of the old weeds sprouting back up aswell

ever have those days when you just neeeeeeed a WEEDWHACKER!! :lol: to cut em all down ?

yeah me too but they come alot fewer now adays thanks to GOD and the 3rd step today was NOT one of them!!!
( well ok steps 12456789 10 11 and 12 too) :D

man when I first saw this topic I had to take a double take I thought it said WEDDING in the garden :shock: :shock: thought you where going and gettin married on me Dallas :) luv ya cess
ccs

Postby Dallas » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Wedding??? :lol: :lol: Me? :lol: :lol: :lol: I've got so many weeds -- no lady would consider planting me in her garden! :lol:

Weeding: I believe this is why I need other AA's, and especially my sponsor in my life. I need others to show me what's a weed and what's the wheat! Or, I'd be jerking up the good stuff and letting the weeds take over!

I also believe this is the way God intended for us to be. Knowing that we need others to live a happy and producting life. Or else, we would just go into our caves all alone and die. If I need others to grow -- then I'll treat them differently. I'll be willing to have better relationships with them and to treat them as I would desire to be treated.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks Keith! I appreciate you!

I discovered what my problem was, other than my alcoholism, and what the solution was in Chapter 5. I later discovered that if I'd use the solution on my problem -- my alcoholism problem would no longer be a problem.... I could live the good life, sober, sane, happy, joyous and free as I trudge Life's road of happy destiny.

I also discovered, for me, as was with trying to fix my drinking problem, that I couldn't do much about my character defects, either -- other than to become aware of them -- without God's help. And, I needed His help for that, too!

Later on, I discovered, that if I would seek Him, and try to do the work well -- that He would have me do, and ask Him to remove my character defects -- that He would.

On some occassions, all I could do was "try to do the opposite" of what the character defect was. The magic words then came alive for me... "Into Action".

The other thing I could do was to make amends and try to right the wrongs that I had done and the wrongs that I do.

I often have wondered if the reason that I couldn't remove my character defects -- is possibly by design. It keeps me seeking Him and asking for His help, guidance and direction of "what's my next step? what's my next action?"

Thanks for being here and allowing me to share!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby cajunbam » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:55 am

Dallas wrote:I often have wondered if the reason that I couldn't remove my character defects -- is possibly by design. It keeps me seeking Him and asking for His help, guidance and direction of "what's my next step? what's my next action?"Dallas

Dallas,

A wise one informed me earlier this week of the same. He said that it probably is by design, for him, because when things are going really good in life, he starts to think that he doesn't need God anymore. So maybe, these defects don't ever totally leave us but remind us that we do continue to need Him, everyday. There is beauty in that, but it is sometimes painful too. I am getting better at recognizing when they are surfacing and trying to do something about them before they come out in harmful words and/or actions. That is ONE reason why I have to keep repeating the Serenity Prayer many, many times a day as well as saying, "Lord, Thy Will (not mine) be done", especially during periods or bouts with anger and frustration.

Peace,
BrianM
cajunbam

Location: McDonough, GA - about 605.09 miles from Cajun Field

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:51 pm

Bryan, based upon my own personal experience -- I'm totally, 100% in agreement with you! :wink:

Life gets really good! I start skipping and dancing down the road of Happy Destiny... forgetting that there are some pot holes on the path!

Then, I fall down and trip and skin my chin, break an arm or leg... knock out a few of my teeth... as a result of my own actions and endeavors.

Then, what do I do? I use my Sobriety Healthcare Maintenance Plan... I call and make an appointment with the Great Physician that brought me into this word -- and, that keeps me in this world, at His pleasure and desire! :lol:

When it's all done and over and He's fixed me up... He hand's me the bill!

On the bill, in the amount column, it reads:

Amount due: "Your whole life and everything in your life! Pass it on! Do unto others as I have done unto you."

Down at the bottom it's signed:

Please do not forget your follow-up appointment! Even if you are feeling well and life is good -- you may have an inclination to forget your follow-up appointment -- and this can be dangerous to your health and to your sobriety! If your condition progresses -- without treatment, you may possibly end up doomed and drunk and dead! Or, worse: you may end up drunk, seriously harm and handicap yourself -- and then not have the option of death -- offered to you! You may just have to live with it!

Get plenty of rest. Eat right. Drink plenty of water, coffee and other liquids... as long as there is no alcohol in them!

If you have questions about your treatment please do not hesitate to call the Great Physician's Office! He is either here or on call 24/7/365!

He looks forward to Helping you in the Future!

Signed: God.

P.S. We recommend that you keep coming back -- more often! Or, better yet: Just don't leave!

------------------------------------------

:lol: :lol:

If it exists in the mind of Dallas -- Don't Blame God! He didn't do it! :lol:

"
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Expect The Unexpected in Sobriety