- the need to hit bottom

the need to hit bottom

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

the need to hit bottom

Postby Bobby D » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:56 pm

Five days shy of two months sober... been going to meetings 5 - 7 days per week... find it very helpfull as my home group meets daily @ 7:00 AM.. great way to get the day started... I share a couple times a week... when I feel I have something to say..

Things have been going quite well.. no real compulsions lately ..going so good that I at times start to question being powerless....this weekend a couple of folks shared their experience of how drinking caused chaos and impacted their lives .. the stories were very familiar to me .. I left that meeting on Sunday in one of the best frames of mind since being sober...

Today I had planned on sharing how great yesterdays meeting made me feel and how hoepful I was about remaining sober...I never got the chance...One of the guys shared a very heart wrenching story about his child and suicide... that opened the meeting to more stories about tragic loss and how alot of these guys really hit the proverbial bottom....before turning themselves over to god and a higher power....

I found myself speechless and felt somehow not worthy to have the alcohol problem I do when my experiences do not even come close to what I heard this morning... for the love of god, these guys deserve to drink ! Got me to thinking that if I faced that kind of loss.. I'd throw the towel in ...

For this guy to be sober 5 years later is a testament that the program works !!

I am sober today and for that I am greatfull .... but I feel I somehow toook a step back...and it scares me a little

Bob
Bobby D

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:32 pm

Hello Bob! Great to hear from you and of your progress! That's great!

Bob wrote:Things have been going quite well.. no real compulsions lately ..going so good that I at times start to question being powerless....

I understand!!! This has been a common problem that many of us have gone through. I believe this is why we need to remember that the First Step is one that we must take every day and sometimes several times a day! Life starts going good for us when we're doing what we're supposed to be doing... then, our head starts talking to us! Saying things like "You know... Dallas... a lot of people were a lot worse than you, and really, buddy... you werent that bad, were you? How about a little nippy poo? A tiny little drink or two!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

For me, after taking the first Step, and then continued to practice the first Step, I can now see many of the times when my head is trying to give me false information that can be fatal! After getting up to Step 10, one of the promises of Step 10 is that we will recoil from the thought as if it were a hot flame. This has been my experience... as long as I've kept active in practicing the Steps and attempting to make spiritual progress... and keeping connected to AA.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Bensober » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:05 am

Thanks Bobby & Dallas,
Not being worthy or at least feeling worthy due to the "war storys" and other pain and loss storys do at times seem incredible. A while back in a meeting a person had shared that she really never thought her drinking was that bad untill one night when drinking she had broke one of her finger nails that the day before apparently cost her a couple of hundred dollars to get her nails done. This was her first AA Mtg. and when called on as a new comer and hearing some of the "lower bottom" stuff, she shared that she "didn't know if she was worthy of AA". Since that meeting my perception is that this individual has grown to see how deadly serious her alcoholism is through other discovery about herself. No bottom is too low or high! Dallas this part "the promises of Step 10 is that we will recoil from the thought as if it were a hot flame"....GREAT! Get to get back in my 12x12 book and resd this. Today for me to drink is to die in the most horrible way. To "think drink" can and has to be "right sized" & RECOILED (love this) imediately through this program. I'm really humbled and getting the "more shall be revealed" from this site. Congrats on your continued sober days Bobby... each one is such a blessing.

Ben H.
Bensober

Postby Bobby D » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:38 pm

I really meant to close my original message with a question... do you have to hit bottom before you can effectively work this program ...

thanks guys..I can always count on the people here to give a good perspective....like "No bottom is to high or to low..."

I'm not up to step 10.. up till now I was having a real tough time with 4..(thats another story ) seems I may have jumped 1-3 a little prematurely

....Dallas.. excactly right,it's like my mind telling me maybe you over reacted and you really dont belong here.....I have to do this my way or I won't do it.... BUT..

I'm an alcoholic so maybe my way sucks....

Thanks again..god bless
Bobby D

Postby Bensober » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:05 am

From my expierence PAIN is the catalyst. Pain is enough for me Bobby. I'm a person that had to try the pain again. With twentyone years of "dryness" and not really engageing into/inside/in the middle of AA. What happened to me was what is shared a lot in meetings around here is "we stay in the middle of the pack or we get eaten by wolves". And believe me I got "aeeeten"! It also seems that some of us can take more pain than others because of self will ran ego riot. I told my self "It's only one drink. Nobody will know"! Well loosing my family, and everything I thought I owned, and three years later, I made it back into AA alive...just barely. I would also think it fare to share for those "higher bottom" lot ...that a little pain is enough...why go through anymore if we don't have to?
Bensober

Postby keepontrudgin » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:57 am

So good you can hit early morning meetings.
When I was happiest in recovery was when I was making the 07:15 meeting, then on to my day feeling connected with people.

About Rock Bottom - hmmm, I really hate to see people go on Oprah and talk about need to hit Rock Bottom.
Heard this in a meeting and still makes sense to me.

I hit bottom when I stopped digging!!

I can always pick up the shovel, and dig a deeper hole.
I didn't end up in AA meetings by mistake.
keepontrudgin

Prevention...

Postby angeleyes13 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:28 am

Hi Bobby!

I've been reading, but not doing much posting. Still truckin' this is week 3 for me :) I completely understand about not feeling worthy. I don't think you have to hit rock bottom. For me this is about prevention! I'm lucky I never got a DUI, lucky I'm not sitting in jail somewhere, lucky I have my career, lucky I have my family! I'm just lucky... That could have been me and it will be if I pick up another drink... This is about preventing those tragedies. I don't want to share those kinds of stories, you know? I have plenty of embarrasing and hurtful memories of my own.
I know this first step is going to take a long time for me. It took a long time to get here! But, I'm willing to except that. Nothing good happens overnight! It takes time to heal and mend and change the way I think... Keep having dreams that I brake my sobriety... Last night I had the same dream. Friends brought over a huge bottle of wine, but this time I didn't take one drink! That might seem silly, because it was just a dream, but to me it is wonderful :)

Have a great week/weekend and God Bless,
Angeleyes
angeleyes13

Postby Dallas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:44 am

What a concept! :wink:

I spent years digging deeper, harder and faster, trying to solve my problems! When I couldn't solve it... I looked for bigger shovels!

For me, surrender meant: drop the shovel. And, surrender was a word that was not used in my vocabulary in regards to myself. Surrender was only for the other guy and not for me. :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:35 pm

Dallas wrote:

What a concept! :wink:

I spent years digging deeper, harder and faster, trying to solve my problems! When I couldn't solve it... I looked for bigger shovels!

For me, surrender meant: drop the shovel. And, surrender was a word that was not used in my vocabulary in regards to myself. Surrender was only for the other guy and not for me. :lol:

Dallas

There's a story in the 2nd edition of the Big Book , "The Professor and the Paradox," where he writes about surrendering to win. It took me a long time to stop digging, and even longer to surrender my tenacious grip on the shovel.

Tim
Tim

Postby Dallas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks Tim! Nice to see you and read from you!

For me, I still have to continue to watch -- or before I know it, I've picked up a shovel again! Mostly in work life or just day to day life. I have a tendency to forget that there is One that has all the answers... and He doesn't mind sharing them with me through guidance -- "if" I'll keep my house in order, help others, and relax, take it easy, and keep my eyes, ears and heart open to His guidance, through the tools and friends and even the strangers that He places in my life.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Next

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober