- Help for alcoholics who want to achieve sobriety

Help for alcoholics who want to achieve sobriety

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby gopher » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:57 pm

Dallas, Garden Variety, thanks 4 your posts, sobriety without serenity sucks!! I responded to each of you.
gopher

Postby Dallas » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:29 am

Hopefully, together -- we can help each other to achieve and maintain the serenity that we desire -- that makes our sobriety fun and fulfilling! Glad you all are here!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby ecarter1117 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:04 am

My name is Elliot and I am an addict I just recently got out of detox This is my second time through the rooms of aa and I feel like I know where I went wrong the first time. I stopped going to meetings. So Im out of detox and I really want to use? but I dont want to and I know talking about it really helps so I am talking I have plans to go to a mtg tm but its too late for one tonite so I found this awseome website and thought Id write about it I have no idea how this works n I hope im doing it right..... anyway yea I think im gonna stick around this time and hopefully make it through today because thats all I have to do right now!! but any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!!
ecarter1117

Postby Dallas » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Hello Keith. Thanks for sharing and introducing yourself! I appreciate reading your story! Keep coming back!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Keith wrote:We are not saints. What we strive for is progress. We can't just turn offself-senterdness and selfisness. We just have to work at it through the steps, use these 12 steps, meetings, sponsors, and the brains God gave us to do the best we can to stay sober one day at a time.

And, that is the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God! :lol:

Thanks Keith. Very well said!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

curious

Postby sheri » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:10 pm

hi my name is sheri and i'm checking this sight out to see what its all about. i live in a small town in utah and have no way to get to meetings so i wanted to see if this was something that could help me. it would be great to talk to other alcoholics! anyways, let me know what you think of these online meetings. thanks
sheri

Postby jgrabo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi Sheri and welcome! While I believe there is a great amount of information that can be obtained on this site in just about any area of recovery, I don't believe the intent is to replace actually going to meeting. For most having that personal contact daily with our sponsors and our friends at meetings is one of the greatest tools that we use to help keep us sober. I know it is for me!! Can tell when I haven't been at a meeting for a couple of days everything seems a little out of balance. But as I said at the top there is definitely are great amount of info contained on this site in the many topics that are already posted, I know I have enjoyed browsing thru the posts and some of them have helped me with a few things I was going through. Enjoy!!!!!! :D :D

John from Erie, Pa.
jgrabo

Postby Dallas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:22 am

Hey Sheri! Welcome to the site! Glad you found us. Most people may not see your message here -- because it's posted in the "Announcements" section -- so, if you don't get many replies here, you may want to post in different topics, or, even better -- start a new topic that we can reply to.

We've had many members here, that lived in remote areas where meetings are rare. And, they mentioned that it helped them. I don't know where they are lately -- but, they've been here! :lol: And, I'm sure they are doing well. Life seems to require each of us to get too busy at times.

I hope you keep coming back -- you will be a great inspiration for some of us to keep coming back to check in with you and see what's going on in your world.

Also, we're working on some new ideas for this site with some new features for us -- that can make it even more fun.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DiggerinVA » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:44 am

Sheri
Welcome! My feelings about meetings is a little bit different than most. The program is the 12 steps and through them you will find the necessary power to relieve your obsession to drink. It has been done before and will be done again. The whole thing has been done as penpals. So yes it is possible.

I live in a tourist town and several months a Alcoholic show up at a meeting (he was on vacation) and expressed the nearest meeting to where he lives was 10 hours away. The locals were ready to hand him meeting guides. That was not what he was looking for. Well the help he wanted and possibly needed was in a reminder in the simplicity of the program (12steps).

So you can get all the clarification you need here when it comes to understanding them. So you will need a understanding human being at some point but they may be closer than you think or that can be done via email too. A big book too (though it is available on line). Whoa you have everything you need. Well one more thing you have to provide and that is your willingness. Though you are showing that by asking.

How may I be of service?

Meetings are important but are not a requirement.
DiggerinVA

Postby Bensober » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:35 am

Welcome Sheri,
Keith, your too funny, I laughed out loud for five minutes. I don’t feel bad about not ever trying Bumblebee Stew but I will own… my Kangaroo is pink! :-) This is so true about how comfortable we can be while sharing and caring without all the other distractions.

What I have found here Sheri, just like in attending meetings is a great relief that overcomes my alcoholism problems. From a simple willingness to believe that some entity exists (e.g. this Forum) with more empowerment over the world surrounding us. We/our forum to me is like taking a long needed vacation from the battle within the mind. Your willingness engage with us may not lead to belief in a higher power. But I do guarantee this… it will motivate you to explore the possibility!!!... through your own understanding of what is shared in your connection here.

Wisdom won’t come from these wise souls that give you good suggestions, but only from the willingness of you tryin them out.

Sheri, I have watched and seen being here “in this meetingâ€
Bensober

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober