- Questions and Answers about A.A.'s 12 Steps

Questions and Answers about A.A.'s 12 Steps

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Re: Thanks for your input

Postby GeoffS » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:15 pm

rkdian34 wrote:Those are the same suggestions that I would have given someone 15 years ago. They does not even address the guestion

Ok then rather than hint at your mighty wisdom, please share with us your solution, and indeed the question again as it would appear beyond the understanding of this alcoholic.

So I'll ask again rather than have you hide behind vague program related questions, what can we really help you with that is not going well in your life?
GeoffS

Postby rkdian34 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:28 pm

Tim wrote:Early in my sobriety, I paid attention to the words found in Chapter 5 of the Big Book:

But there is One who has all power. That One is God.

Three pertinent ideas:
(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought.

This is part of the reading at the beginning of each meeting of my AA home group. It helps me remember that God has all power-that my human power was not powerful enough to relieve my alcoholism.

I listen to that very carefully too. What I failed to see, when I was a newcomer' (for 20+ years) was that they were looking back on what they had done. Now I give him the credit for doing just that. I have come to believe that this is the message in a nut shell.

Charles I. "Recovered Alcoholic"
By the grace of God.
rkdian34

Re: Thanks for your input

Postby rkdian34 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:38 pm

GeoffS wrote:
rkdian34 wrote:Those are the same suggestions that I would have given someone 15 years ago. They does not even address the guestion

Ok then rather than hint at your mighty wisdom, please share with us your solution, and indeed the question again as it would appear beyond the understanding of this alcoholic.

So I'll ask again rather than have you hide behind vague program related questions, what can we really help you with that is not going well in your life?

Carry the message of Alcoholics Anonymous.
rkdian34

Postby Ranman99 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:25 am

Very good thread. I know some people I would like to see read it.

I came up with a thought that I shared with some newcomers this week that I would like to post out to the old hands here.

I said basically I have yet to meet or listen to a person share that has thoroughly gone through the steps with a sponers say that they had no change or that they did not like the outcome. I have'nt heard anyone say "ya I worked them dang 12 stpes to the best of the ability with a sponsor and know I'm a worse person than I was before or dang I wish I had not done that".

Anyone ever meet someone who worked the steps say the result was bad? I was hoping these new guys would see a message in that.

If I ever meet a person like that I would really like to sit down with them for a coffee and hear what went wrong :P
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:31 pm

Hello Keith! In my book, there is nothing wrong with long-distance sponsoring -- if you're hooked up with a good sponsor. For many years, alkies had nothing other than snail mail that took several weeks to get to New York and back to them. They had no meetings. No sponsors. All they had was their Big Book. They followed the instructions in the book and then 12 Stepped others... and eventually a Fellowship with meetings and sponsors sprung up around them. Chapter 11, of the BB, addresses this.

That may spark some discord with some AA's today. But, they can always put me on their resentment list. That's the way they did it back when this deal was just starting. And, today -- we still have many areas, even here in the USA, that have no meetings, no fellowship and no sponsors. A guy or girl gets a book, get's sober and then 12 Steps and sponsors others, that eventually sponsor others. :lol:

It is a nice luxury that some experience -- some like I did -- I was able to get sober in AA where there were many good AA's and meetings and groups. I could have easily picked out at least a hundred guys that would have made a great sponsor for me.

In regards to a forum topic on Step 12 ... look here in the "12 Steps" section of the forum for a title that will be on a topic of Step 12. I think we have at least one of them. Then, either add on to it, if you like, or just start a new topic and title it Step 12, here in the "12 Steps" section.

We have a long-standing rule here in the forum: If you don't find what you're looking for -- grab yourself a cup of coffee -- pull yourself up to the keyboard... and start whatever it is you can't find! And, we'll just follow you! :lol: :lol:

Best regards,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DiggerinVA » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:52 am

Keith,
Just a short note, Thank You for your work. So many in the rooms today have no idea about the fatality of this disease, they just hear about it. Someone once told me that the number one cause of suicide is untreated alcoholism, I believe him.

12 Step calls can be dangerous, many don't realize this. I am sorry you got so close to this fact, that would be a life changing experience for anybody.

I am looking forward to your comments on the 12th Step. I'm sure you have allot to share.

Stan
DiggerinVA

Postby Dallas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks for your sharing Digger & KB! I appreciate you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 12 Steps