- Step 12

Step 12

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Step 12

Postby anniemac » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:04 pm

"Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs."

Hmmm, didn't see a Step 12 thread here, so I figured I'd start one. Would love to hear everyone's input on this Step.

I also just had a specific thought....people refer to doing 12th Step work when they go on a call to help a drunk. Sure, that makes sense, as they tried to carry this message to alcoholics. But what about when one practices these principles in all their affairs?

It seems to me that there's a vast array of non-AA 12th Step work. If you help your sister out of a jam, even if she's been a royal pain in your butt for most of your life, isn't that doing 12th Step work as well? You've just practiced the principles in another affair, so why not?

Geez, now you all have a clue as to what swirls around in the vast wasteland of my head when I don't have enough work to do. :D
anniemac

12 Step work

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:44 am

Hey Anne,

Great question!

anniemac wrote:It seems to me that there's a vast array of non-AA 12th Step work. If you help your sister out of a jam, even if she's been a royal pain in your butt for most of your life, isn't that doing 12th Step work as well? You've just practiced the principles in another affair, so why not?

We need something to distinguish between our commitment to "A.A. work with other alcoholics" and the rest of our daily living - so we neatly tuck it away in that phrase of "12th Step work (with other alcoholics) as part of our recovery."

I believe it has to do with our concept of "singleness of purpose" and keeping us on track.

As Bill W., looked back on the history of other organizations that were started to help alcoholics (which vanished) he drew much from the experience of the Washingtonians. The Washingtonians started out as a handful of alcoholics committed to helping each other with sobriety. They rapidly grew into an organization of hundreds of thousands... and suddenly vanished.

They attempted to take "their program" to the world and got mixed up in politics and other movements to produce social change. It was a good idea, and a worthy cause... but not all good ideas and worthy causes are practical in the long run.

We seem to need something to remind us that even though we might be sober for a number of years... "once an alcoholic... always an alcoholic." Which means our recovery process is a lifetime endeavor. We need to stay sober.

We seem to need something to remind us "what our problem is" and "what our solution is."

Most of the sober members of A.A. that I'm aware of... who returned to drinking... had turned their backs on 12th Step work with other alcoholics.

This could become a lengthy reply... so I'll end my two cents here! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby bill » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:49 am

Twelfth step work traditionally refers to working with other alcoholics.

There are not a lot of AA’s now who have experience with 12th step work as much of that function has been supplanted by treatment centers. A lot of the old timers knew how to stay with a newcomer, dole out alcohol in small quantities to keep him from going into seizures, and taper him off. Most of us know don’t know how to do that.

I think also you need to think of the 12th as being disjunctive; one part is carrying the message to other alcoholics, the other part is to practice the principals in all affairs, meaning even those not connected with alcoholism. If you get to do some 12 and 12 meetings, that’s a good time to discuss this.

Might also take a look at.
bill

Postby anniemac » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:22 pm

Hi guys ~ thanks for responding.

I hear what you're saying, and I guess I'm saying that when we practice these principles in all our affairs, that too should be considered 12th Step work.

Just being picky and looking to reform AA :oops: :lol: only kidding about the second part of that statement!!
anniemac

Postby Dallas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:17 pm

Hey Keith! I understand!

And, since you're semi-shut-in... with all that sobriety inside you... please share as much of it as you can here! A lot of disabled people that can't get to meetings also come here hoping to keep their sobriety fresh and green and growing! We are able to contribute to them by sharing what we have -- It may not be the same as a face-to-face meeting, but it sure does a lot to help me! I'm I've heard that it does tons of good for them, too!

So, Keith... I encourage you to move in here and take up as much space as you can! :wink:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:35 am

Hey Keith, I'm just trying to hang out here and not get thrown out!!! :lol:

God knows I need all the friends and the help I can get! I can't afford to push anyone away -- regardless if I like them or not! I hope they like me enough to answer the phone, if they turn out to be the one on the other end of the line when I'm reaching out with a big yell of "Help me, Please!!!" Or at least... I haven't made them so mad that they don't pick up the phone! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby cajunbam » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:16 pm

Dallas wrote:Hey Keith! I understand!

And, since you're semi-shut-in... with all that sobriety inside you... please share as much of it as you can here! A lot of disabled people that can't get to meetings also come here hoping to keep their sobriety fresh and green and growing! We are able to contribute to them by sharing what we have -- It may not be the same as a face-to-face meeting, but it sure does a lot to help me! I'm I've heard that it does tons of good for them, too!

So, Keith... I encourage you to move in here and take up as much space as you can! :wink:

Dallas

Hey Keith and Dallas,

A little secret: This is one site I usually "attend" on days when I am not going to a meeting or am needing some extended guidance! Sometimes I come here even if I am going to a meeting that day anyway. Anyhow, you guys just don't know how much you've helped me in so many ways already in just the short time I've been here.

Peace,
Brian
cajunbam

Location: McDonough, GA - about 605.09 miles from Cajun Field

Postby Dallas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:11 pm

Wow! Thanks for the kind comments Brian!!! I appreciate you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby cajunbam » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:42 am

Thats' a helluva story Keith! Thanks for sharing......

I've only made one meeting a week for the past 3 weeks and I feel it. Seems like I was in the same boat as another member last night. Spring break with the wife and kids, then catching up on work and home obligations put me behind the eight ball. but I think i'm getting back on the right track, mentally. As for the rest, well, as you said, I'll just leave it up to God! :D

Peace,
Brian
cajunbam

Location: McDonough, GA - about 605.09 miles from Cajun Field

Return to 12 Steps