- Family Within

Family Within

Alcoholics and Addicts sharing their personal recovery story with us to help others who want to recover.

Do you have family within the program of Alcoholics Anonymous?

Poll ended at Thu May 20, 2010 8:20 am

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 4

Family Within

Postby Deidra » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:20 am

I recently picked up my 6 month chip. I am truely happy to be sober and have the obsession removed. However, my mother and brother are both members of my home group. I also live with my mother. It is very hard dealing with family members within my home group. I thought about changing home group but I live in a small town and we only have one group. Besides I love my home group and I don't want to change it. My mothers recently celebrated 20 yrs. and all the member look to as an oldtimmer. I have a sponsor and we talk about this a lot. Just wondering if anyone else out there has any suggestion from their experience of family within the fellowship.
Deidra

Postby Dallas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:37 pm

Welcome to the site Deidra. Can't offer any comments on this one. No family members here, other than me, that are really sober.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Deidra » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Thank you anyway Dallas!
Deidra

Postby DiggerinVA » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:59 pm

It is true if you count My Grandmother who passed in 1989. Her husband did not make it. I cannot comment on the issues with current family members. But I will say her program equipped her to deal one majorly dysfunctional family. The longer I am sober the more evident this becomes.

I would suggest to concentrate on the program rather than the fellowship. It may help you, keep your side of the street clean. After all that is all you can really do. Remember principles before personalities.

You make me happy to be with my stuff and many would say it is not pretty..
DiggerinVA

Postby Deidra » Tue May 04, 2010 10:14 am

Thank you Diggerin for the feedback. I am greatful for ppl like my mother who stick around the rooms for the newcommers as well as for themself. If it wasn't for them the program of Alcoholics Anonymous wouldn't be here today. I try to seperate our mother-daughter relationship when we walk into a meeting and try to replace it with an alcoholic trying to help another alcoholic relationship but that just doesn't work either. One thing that does help me, is when she shares I close my eyes and open my ears. Amazing what happend when I become a little open minded. :) Maybe I just answered my own question right there. LOL
God bless you all,
Deidra
Deidra

Return to Addiction Recovery Stories