- Still Around

Still Around

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Still Around

Postby gunner48 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:04 am

Been a little lax on the site lately. Wanted to go to the doctor and get a complete Physical since this old body is beginning to go through changes. Didn't know just how many parts there were to be checked. Seems like I'm back in the office everyday getting something else checked. My cabinet is beginning to look like a shelf at Wal-mart. Vitimans, pills and stuff. Guess that is what happens when you ask for it. I am finding more and more that good physical health seems to improve my outlook on life. Big Book says God has supplied us with good Doctors and we should use them. Maybe 62 isn't so old after all. Beats the other option. You know looking up at the top of that box.
My granddaughter finished high school this past week. Gave her a little car as a gift for finishing with honors. Took my youngest grandson fishing and he caught his first fish on his own. My son wants me around and my middle grandson (15) is ready for hunting season to open so he can get a deer. What a blessing to have my family back in my life.
Wishing all my friends the best of the best
God thank you for the opportuniies of today. I now ask that you place before me only the things that I can handle with your love your power and your way of life
PEACE and LOVE
Gunner
gunner48

Postby Ranman99 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:31 am

Thanks Gunner. Peace and love. I'll be 46 in Sept. but I know I did a lot of damage. Luckily I'm not too too bad for 18 months sober.

Been trying to give up them dang cigs though for a few months and it's driving me batty. Nice to read your post. My daughter is only 5 so I hope to make 62 if you know what I mean :)

Totally ape. However I was listening to one of the speakers on XA-speakers dot org and he was saying how he just did a little step seven type prayer every time he lit up and one day he stopped.

I'm trying that.
Ciao,
:?
Ranman99

Re: Still Around

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:41 am

gunner48 wrote:Been a little lax on the site lately. Wanted to go to the doctor and get a complete Physical since this old body is beginning to go through changes. Didn't know just how many parts there were to be checked. Seems like I'm back in the office everyday getting something else checked. My cabinet is beginning to look like a shelf at Wal-mart. Vitimans, pills and stuff. Guess that is what happens when you ask for it. I am finding more and more that good physical health seems to improve my outlook on life. Big Book says God has supplied us with good Doctors and we should use them. Maybe 62 isn't so old after all. Beats the other option. You know looking up at the top of that box.
My granddaughter finished high school this past week. Gave her a little car as a gift for finishing with honors. Took my youngest grandson fishing and he caught his first fish on his own. My son wants me around and my middle grandson (15) is ready for hunting season to open so he can get a deer. What a blessing to have my family back in my life.
Wishing all my friends the best of the best
God thank you for the opportuniies of today. I now ask that you place before me only the things that I can handle with your love your power and your way of life
PEACE and LOVE
Gunner

62 is not that old, Gunner. John Wooden, UCLA's great basketball coach, died last week at 99, and Art Linkletter was 97, so you may have another 35 to 40 years in you if you're lucky and take good care of your body.

When I got sober, I started exercising regularly and have kept with it ever since. It really makes a big difference in how I feel, mentally and physically. Another useful tool I've picked up thanks to sobriety.

It's great to hear that you are doing things with your grandchildren. We don't have grandkids yet, but look forward to it if and when it happens.
Tim

Postby Dallas » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:15 pm

Glad to hear from you guys! Been out in the driveway working on a couple of A/C's... the car and the truck. :wink: Dang, it's a scorcher out there, too! And... hey, I just thought of this.... while I've been slugging down a few cups of water, and chasing it with mugs of coffee... it didn't even cross my mind thinking about a cold beer!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can remember when I was a few months sober, all that time I had thought I'd have to fight the craving and the thinking 24 hrs a day, one day at a time, forever! I thought that was what one-day-at-a-time was about. :lol: :lol: :lol:

About three o'clock in the morning... I start with a panic attack! It had occured to me that I had gone for about an hour or more without thinking of drinking! So, I was for sure convinced... that "this is the insanity of the first next drink!" :lol: :lol: So, I jumped on the phone and called my sponsor, and woke up him and his wife, hysterical... that I was fo sho gonna get drunk because I had gone more than an hour without thinking about drinking!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Needless to say, they weren't very happy about my dummy call! :lol: :lol:

Funny, how, now... guys like us... think about going to doctors, taking care of our health, and getting old!!! :lol: What a change! I don't spend too much time thinking about any of it, but once in a while I do. Those doctors are like meetings... all they want is for you to keep coming back!

Great to hear you guys are doing well -- and just great to hear from you, period! Keep coming back! I'll keep coming back to check and see if you do! :lol: :lol:

Best wishes to all.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:07 pm

Thanks Keith. I will take this to heart and be gratelfull for my creaking things today. I'm 18 months sober yesterday and off to Canada on Sat. with a few amends lined up.

I'm glad that this time in AA in did not need the program I wanted it;-)

For me it was never ever enough to simply know that I needed it :roll:
Ranman99

Postby Ranman99 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:01 pm

Agreed agreed.

Like I said 18 months sober and my first meeting was 20 years ago.

I finally learned that AA works when I give it an honest shot and surrender.

I'm feeling pretty good as I did a lot around here last year and saved a few special face to face sessions for back home. I keep it pretty straight and simply and then just try to listen ( one of my weak areas).

My blessings are too numerous to mention also. Dang if I wasn't actually the cauase of 99% of my problems. Perhpas even all of them :lol:

This site certainly was a blessing in my early months this time and I try to always remember that HP always speaks to me through my wife. She's got this crazy problem. She can only tell the truth. Never met too many people like that :P

Ciao,
Ranman99

Postby GeoffS » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:50 am

Still here also, and still sober. Haven't been able to get on here as much as I used to.

Have been having an interesting time of late. I moved house, but my wife hasn't. She's been in a very bad way, and I've been trying to help as best I can. Not easy.

Fallen for another woman (badly) who seems to want to be just friends. HP and the program are showing me how to be a friend that she needs, and be happy.

Sticking close to the program, my HP, sponsor and home group, doing more meetings and more service has seen me through ok so far.
It works, it really does.
GeoffS

Postby Dallas » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:12 pm

Great to hear from you guys. I understand. :wink: I could be mistaken, but... I think it's called Life. :lol: And, our boats seem to be in similar waters.

Keith, I double understand about the eyes and the retina problems! On some days... that cloud of bugs gets so dark I can't see what's in front of me! :lol: It does clear up though, over time... and right after it get's real better -- another batch of bugs show up! It doesn't seem to happen in my left eye though... Or, if it does, I guess I can't see it anyway. :lol:

One thing is for sure! Regardless of how much I've always been grateful and appreciative for my eyes and vision... there's nothing like losing it -- to remind me of what a luxury it is to be able to see!

As I was writing this -- I was kind of comparing my vision w/ my sobriety. After being sober for a while, it isn't hard to begin taking sobriety for granted. I had good vision for many years... and took it for granted that I'd always be able to see well. Then, I began to notice that I had a problem seeing things -- and thought "well... it's just a cataract or something... I'll wait and then go get it whacked off! Then, I'll be able to see good again!" I waited too long to get it fixed. I didn't know that the problem was with the optic nerve and pressure in the eyes, and the retina starting to break up.

I guess the reason I was comparing it with my sobriety -- is because if I don't keep connected with you guys -- I'll begin to think my problems in life are unique... that I can handle them on my own. No hands and no help needed. Then, I could wake up one morning and discover that it was all gone. Or worse... maybe not wake up at all, and then discover that it was so bad that it couldn't get any worse.

So, thanks guys, for being here. My sobriety depends on me keeping connected w/ you. And, being able to remember and keep in mind, how precious and fragile sobriety is -- for an alkie of my type.

Best wishes to you all.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jim W » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:43 am

Hey Everyone,

Not that I've ever been really active here, but I'm still kicking as well.

Gunnar, I can sure relate. I'll be 51 next January. Never thought I'd live as long as I have. The old body is letting me know how I've mistreated it over the years as a result of bar fights, car wrecks, and over thirty years of hard physical work. Knees are shot, back hurts, typical stuff.

I've had a few interesting experiences regarding the aging process lately. A couple of months ago, I ran into a woman I hadn't seen in twenty-five years at a meeting. I owed her an amends, so after the meeting I approached her. We talked at length and she told me that she always thought that I hated her guts and that she was afraid of me. After we talked at length, she told me that she knew that she didn't have to be afraid of me. Then she told me that I looked younger now than I did twenty-five years ago. This past Friday night, I was at a fund-raiser for a local non-profit that was held in a local bar. I ran into a guy that was around when I got sober nineteen and a half years ago. I think he was drinking, but that doesn't matter. We talked for a while. He told me that I look younger now than I did when I got sober.

One of the facts of life is that as we get older, we start losing people. Earlier this month I was in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. My mother had gotten very ill and then she passed away. Although I am experiencing a normal grief, I'm very grateful that I was able to make amends years ago and to maintain a living amends. I have no real regrets, there are no loose ends, nothing left unsaid or undone. What I would say to anyone is if there is any unfinished business, best take care of it. You never know when the last day is going to be.
Jim W

Postby Dallas » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Jim, sorry to hear of your mom passing. I'm always tongue-tied when it comes to talking or writing about loses like yours. So, I hope my lack of words will still be able to convey my sincere thoughts for you, your mom, and the rest of your friends and families.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery