- Laziness/Into Action

Laziness/Into Action

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Laziness/Into Action

Postby Bensober » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:49 am

On around July 13th I had posted my Seventh Step Prayer. Didn’t get any responses yet. But the biggest thing I need some assistance today with is this portion…â€
Bensober

Postby Dallas » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:26 pm

We know the answers before we ask. Thinking. That's our problem. Thinking. Real simple. Thinking keeps us from doing. We do stuff -- and suddenly find out we're sober. Then, we do more of it and get really comfortable sober. We do some more -- and then, we get really comfortable, happy, joyous, free -- AND sober! So, what do we do? We stop doing the things that got us to "comfortable, happy, joyous, free and sober -- and start thinking. :lol: :lol: Then, we spend our time thinking instead of doing -- and we get real uncomfortable. We start to get edgy. The pressure builds. And, what do we do? "I better think about this!" :lol: :lol: So, rather than doing... what do we do? We ask someone "What do you think? Do you think what I think?" :lol: :lol: And, the mistake that they make? They start thinking with us.... and stop doing. :lol: At least they have an advantage -- maybe. If they start thinking about you instead of thinking about them -- they'll be alright. But, you'll be stuck thinking about you. :lol: I know. This is what I do. :lol:

Do you do that, too? "What do you think?" :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Bensober » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks Dallas,
Once again I'm reminded that thinking too much is like Toby says “A Little Less Talk And A Lot More ACTION! This part you shared… “So, rather than doing... what do we do? We ask someone "What do you think? Do you think what I think?" And, the mistake that they make? They start thinking with us.... and stop doingâ€
Bensober

Postby Dallas » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:58 pm

Yep. It's kind of funny sometimes when I think of how each of us seems to do the same things that each of us seems to do. :lol: Kind of like we're related or something. :lol: From the same plant ... regardless if it's a grapevine, an apple tree, or a potato! Was it the sauce -- or were we born that way? Were we born that way or did we become that way? :lol: :lol:

That's what I mean. We can sit around thinking about thinking about what we think about -- and, then we don't get anything done except the thinking. :lol: :lol:

Kind of like a dog chasing it's tail. What's he going to do with it if he does catch it? :lol: Well. He'd probably do noting with it -- because by the time he caught it he'd be all worn out.

We seem to get on a high when we're thinking. An actual drug like high. And, we can become addicted to the obsession and the drug that "thinking" produces.

Well. When we look at what happens in the body and the brain when we think -- thoughts are electrical impulses -- that produce and are produced by chemicals and chemical reactions -- that take place in the brain when we have a thought.

Scientists tell us that they know this -- because they can hook us up to machines and/or do blood tests to measure it -- and they say that because they can measure it -- it's proof that it's going on.

I have no doubts about it.

It was along this line of thinking -- when I had doctors trying to sell me on the idea of being on pillls for the rest of my life -- their primary deal was: "well you have a chemical imbalance in the brain -- and the pill fixes it." :lol: :lol:

When I told them that this is why I drank alcohol for so many years to change the chemical imbalance in my brain -- they tried to tell me "Oh, well that was different! This pill won't hurt you!" :lol: :lol:

It reminded me of in the 60's and early 70's... when the docs were selling Valium. "Oh! Everybody should be on this! It's a miracle drug! And, it won't hurt anyone!" :lol: :lol:

And, they said that until people started falling down dead or killing themselves.

Our book says "the problem centers in the mind."

Our solution is: we can take some actions (12 Steps, working with others, being of service to others, keeping active, nutrition, vitamins, eating right, resting right, attempting to live a spiritual way of life, and STAYING SOBER) -- that change what's going on inside the mind.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jim W » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:29 am

I know people that if you called them lazy, they'd be awfully offended. They work (sometimes too much) and hold down jobs, they pay bills, the go on vacation, the do A.A. service work, yet they are lazy in the things that matter.

Notice that Chapter 6 is called "Into Action," not "Into Activity," or "Into Thinking." Many A.A.'s mistake activity for action. We hear that is a program of action, so we throw ourselves into frantic activity, running around all over the place trying to set our lives in order, trying to make up for the lost time of the drinking days. We attain material possessions (only later we find out that they own us). We get busy in A.A., at least in the social area. We go to dances, picnics, play sober softball, make new "friends." We get involved in general service, getting on committees, taking meetings to hospitals and jails, maybe even become the G.S.R. for the group, or the D.C.M. for the district, or maybe even get on the area committee. Some of us even become part of our General Service Board, yet they are empty and their lives are really meaningless, and sooner or later, all the activity in the world can't distract them from that yawing chasm where their souls ought to be. I know a guy that happened to.

This guy came to me several years ago. He was 24+ years sober at the time, had served as an area delegate, had been trustee-at-large, had been sober on a lot of meetings and a lot of service over the years, yet he had never done any work in the 12 Steps. In fact he told me that he had used service to avoid recovery. And sooner or later we hit a wall with that, and he did. He didn't want to lose face by drinking again, so he was contemplating going off somewhere and blowing his head off. Fortunately, instead of doing that, we took a little journey through the steps.

So, laziness, or sloth isn't always what I think it is. I can be a hard worker, yet lazy in spiritual matters.

SLOTH: A refusal to accept opportunities for growth, service, or sacrifice.
Laziness. One can be a hard worker, be career-oriented and driven to
succeed, yet be lazy in what really matters, the matters of the spirit. Another
form of laziness is apathy, willfully remaining ignorant of spiritual matters.
The apathetic person drifts through life having no purpose or direction and is
really asleep to his own being. The ancients called this acedia, from the Greek
akedia-meaning an indifference, literally an absence of caring. Not merely a
neglect of duty, although that can a symptom, but the refusal of joy. It is allied
with lethargy (To be asleep spiritually) and is often seen as despair or
depression.
ACTION: A specific course taken towards a specific goal which is spiritual
growth and service to God. Not to be mistaken for activity, which is often used
as a means to avoid true spiritual action.
Jim W

laziness

Postby Lily72 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:21 pm

This thread sounds like my sponsor. So glad I found this site.
Lily72

Postby bwendo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:09 am

the terror of fearing failure or being incomplete can look like procrastination or lack of motivation.

But it is simply fear. We have to take the plunge and just blindly jump off.
bwendo

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:13 am

For me, the terror of having to try to get sober again keeps me motivated. :wink: What also helps me is to remember my days of terror when I was drinking.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Pebbles » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:27 am

Staying sober is easier than getting sober-plenty of people have shown me that as they go in and out. Makes me grateful that I haven't had to go there, and it makes me want to work the program that much more. There's no more BS'ing myself these days.....
Pebbles

Postby MichalF » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:23 pm

They say: what you have to do today just can do day after tomorrow You would have two days free :wink:
what a pity it doesnt work for me :lol:
MichalF

Next

Return to 12 Steps