- Was This The Right Thing?

Was This The Right Thing?

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

Was This The Right Thing?

Postby Jcarlsonmn1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:44 am

Hey guys, just an FYI, I have been sober since January 29th for 2010 because of a Level One Out Patient treatment program I entered into. I am new to the site and looking here for answers. First off I just got into a high risk situation where I was going through a very rough time in my life. Well I called up my new (and first) sponsor and told him what was going on. He told me to grab the Big Book and turn to page 87-88 and read those until I find my answer. I did go and read those pages but that wasn't really helping for me at that moment. How it felt to me is that he was busy tossed me to the side and really rather didn't give a hoot about what I was going through or listened to what was going on. My question is I guess, is this what a sponsor is suppose to do? I really don't know, well thanks for the time and take care.
Jcarlsonmn1

Postby Dallas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:52 pm

First, I'd like to welcome you to the site! I'm glad that you found us and I hope that you'll find something here that will be of benefit you and interest to you.

I read your message a couple of times and also re-read pages 87-88. I don't like to try and second guess anyone, or decide if something they did was right or not, or that I would have done it the same way -- especially, when I don't know all the facts.

Page 87-88, which deals with Step Eleven, seeking guidance in our daily lives and in specific situations. And, it gives us some suggestions on what to do to seek the guidance as well as what to do to improve on our conscious awareness of God, as we understand Him. It also reminds us, that when in doubt, or agitated, it's a good idea to pause -- to chill out, to relax and take it easy -- and ask for the right thought or action to take in the situation.

Could, or does any of that apply to the situation that you're in?

I guess, rather than assume, I should ask first -- have you already taken the 12 Steps? Steps One through Nine -- prepare us, with a foundation and a process by which we can use Steps 10, 11 & 12, in our daily lives and to get the specific answers for actions and solutions.

An illustration of what I mean by that is: Let's say someone suggested that you Google something on the Internet to give you more information on how to do something. (Using Step 11 for this part of the illustration) ... first... you'd have to be prepared, by having a device, like your computer or a phone -- to access the Internet. And, then you'd have to connect to the web -- which takes other actions to get connected. It's only after taking all those other "preparation steps" that you'd be able to "Google for an answer or additional information."

I hope that didn't add to any confusion. :lol:

Steps 1 through 9: Prepares you and connects you to The Higher Power. The Big Big Web.

Steps 10-11: Keeps you connected -- as you transmit and receive packets of information -- that can help you and guide you.

Without the preparation Steps (1 through 9) how can we connect for the answer?

So, that's why I ask the question, if you've already taken the 12 Steps?

I hope this helps.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jcarlsonmn1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:12 pm

Thanks for the welcome also Dallas. First off I was really vague on the situation at hand. Well right now I am going through the second phase of my treatment program. I was encouraged to meet with someone who would like to sponsor me from the meetings that I have been attending by the counselor at my classes. Last month my good friend pasted away on June 29th of 2008. This has been a really hard time for me with grieving and losing people I would always turn to the bottle. I guess at that time I was looking for a little more insight on how a sponsor is suppose to support or help guide you through the triggering situation, and I was just curious since this is the first sponsor (kinda doing this blind) I had if that is what I kinda should expect from others also. Well thank you for your time Dallas.
Jcarlsonmn1

Postby Jcarlsonmn1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:23 pm

Oh and also I am working on the steps currently I am working on steps 4 and 5 right now with my counselor I have also looked into the other steps that I have to work on also to make the health progress that is needed for me. Please forgive me for I am distracted at work right now but this has been sitting with me for a while.
Jcarlsonmn1

Postby Dallas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:26 pm

Thank you. Since you're in a unique situation right now -- I'd suggest to keep in close contact with your counselor, too. He/she can prove to be an invaluable resource -- especially so in the early phases of recovery. I wish the best for you and I hope you keep coming back to the forum! It's great to hear from you and your questions, and also your answers, will be a benefit for us and for countless others that cruise through here looking for solutions.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Sponsors Forum