- I'm a virgin speaker

I'm a virgin speaker

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

I'm a virgin speaker

Postby Sermon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:40 pm

Hey all,

My name is Jay and I'm an alcohlic.

Went to the noon meeting today and had a great meeting. It was awsome. Topic was closed and about pg. 85 in the Big Book. Being easy to let up on the Spiritual Program of Action and resting on our Lourals.... I tend to do that sometimes!! I'm not a Saint by no means. Lol

Anyway everyone got to speak and when it was over I had to get back to work. On the way out a girl from another group that was dropping in came up to me and asked if I would like to speak at her home group. My thought was, oh hell no!!!! Uh...... I'm busy, what can I tell her to get out of this????? But what I told her was: "I'll be honored".. I let her know that I have never told my full story before but if I didn't go when God called me to come then it would be like spitting in his eye. After all that he has done for me I could not turn my back to him now.

Anyway it's not for two more weeks and I'm kinda nervous, but God has called me and I should answer
Sermon

Postby Dallas » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:01 pm

You'll do well. Wish I could be there to listen.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby jgrabo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:19 pm

Hey Jay,
You'll do just fine! I did my first about 6 weeks ago and just like you I was nervous about it, then an old timer said something that made sense to me. He said all you are doing is getting up there and telling your story about your life that led to where you are today, it's your story how can you screw it up! Made sense to me, so I didn't think about it til that day and not to much then. All I can tell you is I remember intoducing myself and thanking them at the end for letting me share. Have been told it was a very good lead but to tell you the truth I'm not sure what was said, before I started I asked God to take the wheel on this one and away we went. :)

John
jgrabo

Postby Sermon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks Guys for the advise. It's just new to me and I'm out of my comfort zone. I've already asked my sponsor and a few from our group to come with me and I'm sure I'll do fine. Thanks again for the support.
Sermon

Postby Dallas » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:43 pm

My most nervous I ever got was speaking at my home group. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Sermon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Wow guys, Went up to Jasper this weekend to tell my story. Couldn't have asked for anything better. They had an awsome fellowship and it was the end of month so of course birthday night. Ate a good meal at thier club house and got to do some fellowshipping before the meeting opened. A couple people from our group came with me so I felt alittle more comfortable... Really great time, prayed right before I went up asking God to grant me a channel to touch the next person. Went up infront a bunch of strangers and rocked the house. They would tear up from a past experience, then laugh at another! Never got disturbed, nervous, or went blank! God was really working through me that night! Extremely great night, definently one to remember! But of course I don't take credit for the speach, God definently did that one!
Sermon

Postby jgrabo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Hey Jay,
Glad to hear all went well!! :lol: :lol: It's amazing what happens when we ask for a little help, I know that feeling that you had that God did that one for you but it really was you he just painted the picture in your mind for you to follow.

John
jgrabo

Postby Larry H. » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:23 pm

Jay,

Great share. God works through people when they let him and miracles happen.

Larry,
----------
"I am the black sheep of the family. I came to Alcoholics Anonymous and found the rest of the flock."
Larry H.

Postby Rain » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Hey, I just found this out:

Dr. Bob asked Evan V (I think it's V) to write some pamphlets for him. The Akron, OH intergroup still has them.

There is one on speaking! I got it, and it's very good.

It was written there was a conference so it's not conference approved (like the first, and second editions of the Big Book), but then again it isn't conference disapproved, either.

Helped me. :D
Rain

Postby Dallas » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:47 pm

Why don't you post it over in the AA History section of the forum? Then, we can all check it out and maybe it will be of help. Plus, some of us really love history stuff -- the way things were before they had a Conference. :wink:
Dallas
Site Admin

Next

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics