- Not new to the "program", but new to working it

Not new to the "program", but new to working it

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby Ranman99 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:45 pm

Well I'll be darned. I had to re-read your message KT and check the sender becuase at first I thought it was a post I had written :lol: Berry similar set 'O' events :lol:

Well the timing to get a notice from this wonderful site was certainly very fitting. I sponsor a fellow not unlike myself who thought Monday and Tuesday would be good days to escape from reality and drink.

He made it in to our Morning meeting today (I'm 12 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time) and he has a decision to make of course. I can only share what I had to do.

My sponsor was great last night and we talked about a lot of stuff a really good catch up for both of us as a former prospect of his has now just landed in the hospital again.

My gratidtude list has gotten much longer than the last post I wrote on this thread. Glad to have good people in my life and that the trust is building sometimes quickly with folks that had given up on me :P

I'm crusing into a long weekend over here and there will be some good meetings. Today my problems are not that bad.

Hope my friend decides to surrender!!!! but hey it's his call.

Thanks for letting me share!!!

Randy
Ranman99

Postby Bensober » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:31 am

Hey Randy,
Great to hear your staying on the sober path! Where ever you go you take it with you as well as give it away. And yes to give up on you or others would be to give up on me. I keep my heart and availability open to those who can't quite get past the fear of coming into the fellowship and sittiong "in our lap" sort of speak. Iv'e always needed AA more than it ever needed me...thats reality. But reconizing the importance of those who still suffer, gets more & more valuable everyday.

God Bless,

Ben H.
Bensober

Postby Ranman99 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:56 pm

Thanks for that. Ya I'm greatful and things are continously moving in the right direction and I have learned a great deal from being a sponsor for others in the past 8 months or so.

I'm very greatful I have two very good menotrs here one with 31 years and one with about 7. Amazing to be able to sit and chat with a couple of blokes that are living the principles on a daily basis.

I would never ever have thought that I would aspire to be like that. Better go back and listen to Chuck's "A New Pair of Glasses" again 8)

Amazing to have a very tight morning meeting probably the best one in our city!!! I will do whatever I can to ensure there is a MORNING meeting wherever I stay becuase I like to start the day with the program top of mind.

The rest of the day just seems to flow from there. :P

Ciao for now.
The Ranman!!! :lol:
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Thanks for sharing! You guys make my days!
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:18 am

Probably should start a thread somewhere but you know I meet some extremely talented people around AA. It's really un-canny but if they are like me they have a little label that would say do not add alcohol.

It's just like a chemistry set this substance is beautiful but if you add alcohol too it. It explodes. Very weird malady for sure.

There are so many things I would never have availed myself of if I had not been forced to address the malady. Then again I can’t think that way because this is the only trip I know. I don’t know what the trip would have been if I had never touched substances at all.

So I don’t know crap :lol:

Oh oh getting into a circular loop again better stop thinking :roll:

If all goes according to a discussion I had this morning I will start a new job January 3, 2011 (that I would like). Better leave that to HP though.

Ciao, 8)
Ranman99

Postby Bensober » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:31 am

Ditto On the DayMaking Dallas!
Good wind @ your back on the Job Randy O.D.A.A.T....Who's knows a better one may even come up before Jan! Wow....We all owe it all to We!

God Bless,
Ben H.
Bensober

Postby Ranman99 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:37 pm

Agreed agreed. One day at a time and keep the actions in the present.

These days I actually prefer when things take time. Don't know how that happened.

Where the heck did I get a bit of patience from :P it's almost a bit of a foreign feeling like maybe I've never known that before.

Due to another matter I just read 61 and 62 again in the big book. Just had an interesting fantasy that I could buy a stack of big books and every day take out pages 61 and 62 and stick them on the bathroom mirror and read them while I am shaving.

Then hit myself over the head with the remaing book to make sure it sticks :roll:

Oh well the other week my wife said she may not even divorce me when our daughter turns 18 (she's 6 now).

Though best not to place any bets on that one :wink:

Stay in the now. Stay in the now!!! :shock:
Ranman99

Postby Rain » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:08 pm

I've been reading some history of the program and I came upon a part where it was written that Dr. Bob would take a newcomer through the steps in Four hours.

That makes sense. After all he went through them in a day and was making amends in the afternoon on his first day.

It is my opinion/ guess that he was doing steps one through 8 in four hours, and then amends (a day or 2 maybe? communications were a little slower then), and the last 3 steps every day from then on.

Now, it is reasonable to think that his prospects had been through the hospital and were dryed out when he got to them, so they were fairly clear of mind. Probably 48-72 hours away from their last drink.

So, if you are doing all the steps in under 4 hours you are probably rushing things according to precident.
If you are taking more than that I would would be concerned about the justification of delay rather than concern about rushing.
Last edited by Rain on Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rain

Postby Ranman99 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:00 am

I certainly don't see a problem getting onto it quite quick.

But the success will really be up to our willingness to be "thorough from the very start".

Half measure's availed me of nothing but a lot more pain, grief and suffering 8).

The itchy bit is that I could not see where my alcoholic mind was at until a fair bit later. I sometimes have to remember to turn to pages 100 to 103 now and again for a reminder.

That dang alcoholic mind seems to fire up on it's own now and again and start roaring like a freakin' Tsunami :roll:

Ciao,
Ranman99

Guiseppe

Postby november6 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:39 pm

How are you these days, Guiseppe?
november6

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober