- Rigorous honesty

Rigorous honesty

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Rigorous honesty

Postby dd » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:38 pm

I am about to start looking for work and interviewing hopefully and need help answering the question.

Why did you leave your last job?

This is what happened
In Sept 09 I asked for help and was sent to rehab.
I returned to work in Nov 09 and was sent to random
drug tests at that point.
In Feb 10, I was sent to take a test again.
I have COPD and was unable to make the breathalyzer work.
I did pass a saliva test, but it wasn't acceptable.
Finally the dr they sent me to said I should have been able to
pass so in March, I was terminated.
Quite frankly, fear of this question has kept me from even looking for work until now. Well, the money is running out, and I must find work.

Everyone says to be honest and I agree, that is my natural instincts anyway.

Here is what I've come up with. Do I really have a chance? Is this honest enough?

I am an alcoholic, in Sept of last year, I asked for help and was sent to rehab.
In march of this year I failed a random drug screen because
I couldn't blow enough air to make the breathalyzer work.
I did pass a saliva test that day, but it wasn't acceptable to them.
I am sober today and working the program of AA daily.
Though it was a tough time for me after 2x years on the job, the experience has
really forced me to look at what I want to do with my career and how I choose to
live my life.
I feel confident that the rest of my career will be one to be proud of.

Your thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks,

dd
dd

Re: Rigorous honesty

Postby Larry H. » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:58 am

dd wrote:I am about to start looking for work and interviewing hopefully and need help answering the question.

Why did you leave your last job?

This is what happened
In Sept 09 I asked for help and was sent to rehab.
I returned to work in Nov 09 and was sent to random
drug tests at that point.
In Feb 10, I was sent to take a test again.
I have COPD and was unable to make the breathalyzer work.
I did pass a saliva test, but it wasn't acceptable.
Finally the dr they sent me to said I should have been able to
pass so in March, I was terminated.
Quite frankly, fear of this question has kept me from even looking for work until now. Well, the money is running out, and I must find work.

Everyone says to be honest and I agree, that is my natural instincts anyway.

Here is what I've come up with. Do I really have a chance? Is this honest enough?

I am an alcoholic, in Sept of last year, I asked for help and was sent to rehab.
In march of this year I failed a random drug screen because
I couldn't blow enough air to make the breathalyzer work.
I did pass a saliva test that day, but it wasn't acceptable to them.
I am sober today and working the program of AA daily.
Though it was a tough time for me after 2x years on the job, the experience has
really forced me to look at what I want to do with my career and how I choose to
live my life.
I feel confident that the rest of my career will be one to be proud of.

Your thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks,

dd

Having rigorous honesty does not mean having to tell my AA story. What it means to me is everything I say is the truth. I have quit lying to anyone about anything. Unfortunatly many (most) prospective employers do not understand alcoholism or the AA program. Voluntarily telling them you are an Alcoholic may be basis for rejection in the employer's mind.

With this in mind how about saying:

"In march of this year I failed a random drug screen because due to having COPD I couldn't blow enough air to make the breathalyzer work. I did pass a saliva test that day, but it wasn't acceptable to them."

You will have told the absolute truth. If they ask are you an Alcoholic rigorous honesty would be tell the truth "Yes I am" and then you can talk about your treatment program. I suggest you not bring up your alcoholism unless they ask a direct question pertaining to it.

I wish you luck in your job search.

Larry,
------------
I am different from Washington; I have a higher, grander standard of principle. Washington could not lie. I can lie, but I won't. ~Mark Twain
Larry H.

Postby Dallas » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:50 am

I think Larry gave an outstanding answer. I don't think I can add anything to it in regards to how to answer the question. Be honest and keep the answer short, simple and to the point. Also -- if you spend too much time pleading your case -- it makes you sound defensive -- and defensiveness is often an indicator of dishonesty and guilt.

I've had the experience of sitting in both chairs -- the alcoholic-in-recovery employee chair, seeking the job, and the employer chair. In the employee chair here are a couple of things I did, that seemed to help me.

I let the prospective employer know that I am a recovering alcoholic, that I've gone to AA for help, and part of my recovery program requires me to be rigorously honest with you. I've been able to stay totally abstinent from alcohol for (how ever long the period is). I'm working very hard to turn my life around. I understand the hesitancy that you may have in hiring me -- I would have the same hesitancy. I'm asking for the opportunity to prove to you that I'm sincere. And, that if you hire me, I will do such an outstanding job for you -- that you will consider me as one of your most valuable employees -- and you will be able to look back and say that hiring me was one of the best hiring decisions that you ever made. And, if you give me the opportunity -- and for any reason whatsoever, you do not consider me as one of your best and hardest working employees, and one of the best hiring decisions you've ever made -- simply let me go.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rain » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:45 pm

OK, I may be way off base with this, but today I interviewed and hired two people.

I think of it like a collage essay exam:

Address the Question.

If you are asked one question and you answer another it makes me think you are nervous, defensive or can't follow directions.

Answer only the question asked, then STOP speaking.
A question is not an invitations to tell everything you know. Really.

Give a short, reasonable answer.

Example: Due to a medical condition (COPD), I was temporarily not able to meet the conditions of my job (use the breathalizer). The medical condition is ______(in control, workable, etc.) and I am able to preform any and all duties.

If you had been fired for drinking, then a different answer would be called for.

When I am interviewing I don't WANT to know some of the things I get told :shock: things that I can't ask, wouldn't ask, and disqualify the canidate because they mistake an interview for a therapy session. :shock:
Rain
Rain

Postby Dallas » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:06 am

Great answer Rain!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby dd » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Thanks folks.

I thinks rains' answer is the approach I will take.
dd

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Did you read the recent results that another member posted here in a different thread, in regards to the honesty?

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober