- Service Work

Service Work

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby Dallas » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Chapters 7 through 11 are specifically written towards sponsoring. We don't need the label or title of Sponsor -- to be a sponsor. I like Mickey B.'s explanation of sponsor:

Sober
Person
Offering
Newcomers
Suggestions
On
Recovery.

In my opinion, the majority of AA's weaknesses in the Fellowship today, is a result of weak sponsorship. And, strong sponsorship, refuses to be weakened by a weak Fellowship.

Another opinion?? :lol: :lol: :lol: "From the one with no opinions" :lol: :lol: AAWS and General Services, through the GSA, shot the Fellowship in the foot with it's pamphlet on "Sponsorship."

Unrecovered minds do not comprehend recovered ideas. Period.

Regardless if it's the 12 Steps, 12 Traditions, or other literature... it isn't going to be understood until after an awakening has been created as a result of a sequence of experiences.

In regards to Sponsorship: we have too many that have never experienced being "Big Book" Sponsored -- that are sponsoring others. And, that's a recipe for continuing disaster. Kind of like a nut that grows into a nut-tree and produces more nuts? :lol: :lol: :lol: Pun intended. I don't mean this as a harsh statement -- it's not an inflammed statement fueled by a flammed attitude -- just sayin' -- based upon observations.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:45 pm

I like the nut line though :P :P :P I'll be using that! 8)
Ranman99

Postby ccs » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:42 am

LUV YA DALLAS thanks for the Hugs I needed them :D :D
ccs

Postby Rain » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:03 pm

Lauren still around? What do you think about what was said? :?:
Rain

Postby sober1988 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:14 pm

Too many folks in AA put way too much emphasis on sponsorship (imhao) I agree that the program and presice directions are found in the first 164. My sponsor sobered up in 1964 and is the best sponsor in AA, but she taught me to rely on my HP and to learn to live life OUTSIDE the rooms of AA. She taught me that learning to pay my bills on time, making friends with non-AA people (not drunks!) and trying to become a contributing member of society once more is just as important as other things when regaining my diginity and learning to live life, sober.

Before I met her (21 years ago) I had gone through 3 or 4 "sponsors" because they were trying to analyze me with their psycho babble crap. I came into AA as a bloated, depressed alcoholic with a huge chip on my shoulder and a couple of these gals would say things like, "why are you so angry" and "read page 449" etc... None of that worked for me! I finally found the perfect sponsor, and she told me that a sponsor who is doing a good job doesn't get too many phone calls from their pidgeons.
sober1988

Postby november6 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:10 pm

sober1988 - i'm takin in what you wrote, its hitting home, ill get back to this in a bit.
november6

Postby Dallas » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:21 pm

Great sharing T! Imagine that -- we were told much the same things! :lol: Maybe our sponsors knew each other! :wink: Whatever it was -- it seems like it's been working pretty good for us!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby lenny » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:33 pm

A sponsor is a suggestion giver,and if the newcomer wants to recover he should take the suggestions,I am waiting for two of my sponsee;s to deliver their fourth step.I make suttle comments that i have been waiting a couple of months now,and i get the yea buts,and im working ,and all the other excuse's.THEY are not ready to be honest period.
lenny

Postby Ranman99 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:35 am

Interesting this was the topic of our morning meeting "suggestions".

This time some 24 hours ago now when I started to work with a new sponsor I took a certain approach. I eventually just took the attitude I'll do whatever the bloke tells me to do. I made a list call "I don't believe/agree with this YET" but then I just got too it.

Basically because I was newly unemployed courtesy of my drinking I just worked AA and was onto amends at about month 3. My sponsor didn't let me get ahead of myself that was just good honest step work every day.

It allowed me to have a breakthrough that I would never have imagined and now when I look at that list of don't believe this yet nonsense it is not even worth mentioning. It was mostly products of my Alkie mind;-) Except for one key point that I still beg to differ from my sponsor but I understand why our perspectives are different on that one.

As thoroughly as I could eventually helped me to change enough to get through the 12 and actually apply the principals the best I can every day. Dang.

Best suggestion I think is keep an open mind and be open to the possibility that over days, weeks, months, years our perspective on most parts of the program will evolve if we stick to it. :P :P :roll: :roll: :P :P :oops: :oops:
Ranman99

Postby junebug » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:38 am

sober1988 wrote:Too many folks in AA put way too much emphasis on sponsorship (imhao) I agree that the program and presice directions are found in the first 164. My sponsor sobered up in 1964 and is the best sponsor in AA, but she taught me to rely on my HP and to learn to live life OUTSIDE the rooms of AA. She taught me that learning to pay my bills on time, making friends with non-AA people (not drunks!) and trying to become a contributing member of society once more is just as important as other things when regaining my diginity and learning to live life, sober.

Before I met her (21 years ago) I had gone through 3 or 4 "sponsors" because they were trying to analyze me with their psycho babble crap. I came into AA as a bloated, depressed alcoholic with a huge chip on my shoulder and a couple of these gals would say things like, "why are you so angry" and "read page 449" etc... None of that worked for me! I finally found the perfect sponsor, and she told me that a sponsor who is doing a good job doesn't get too many phone calls from their pidgeons.
I love this last line. I have a wonderful sponsor strong in BB, and she is busier that I am and I go to 6 meetings a week and just started doing service work. I am meeting new women for coffee and am on step 9. And I don't talk to her every day. Another gal she sponsors calls her all the time....me being me thought "I should call more-I 'm not being "good" ' anyhoo I hadn't thought of the calls and such in that way. Thanks.
junebug

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery