- Are you RECOVERD or Recovering?

Are you RECOVERD or Recovering?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

recovered v.s. recovering

Postby oscwed » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:06 am

I understand that recovered means to regain something that I once lost!! I have recovered my hope in the state of body and mind! But I also know that recovered and cured are two different words with two different meanings. I have recovered hope, self respect, and confindence but, I'm not cured of alcoholism!!!
oscwed

Postby Dallas » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:14 am

Welcome to the site OSCWed! Nice to have you and thank you for sharing and participating! I appreciate you.

I'm only on my first cup of coffee for the morning, so -- I guess I'm recovering right now! :lol: Another cup -- and I'm sure I'll feel at bit more recovered! :wink: And, for sure --- I'm sober!!!

I look forward to reading more from you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby lenny » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:26 pm

if you go through the steps exactly as they are layed out in the BIG BOOK,and continue to stay spirtually fit,and have a concious contact with the god of your understanding,and having the constant thought of others on your mind.and that includes your family,then for me you have recovered.i agree with dallas,those bullshitters paradise meetings will drive you right back out there.
lenny

Postby Dallas » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:44 pm

Recently, I was giving some more thought to this topic. I typically don't like to discuss it because of all the confusion that it creates. But, sometimes, ideas get stuck in my head like a splinter -- and until I get it sorted out, my head will keep going back to the splinter. :lol:

Here's one of the things I concluded, for myself.

When they say "recovered" and they keep in mind that we're never cured (once an alcoholic -- alway alcoholic) -- and they define it with the word "restore" -- I never seem to be able to get a clear-cut idea of what it is they mean.

So, as I was thinking about it and reading the BB, I ask myself:

1. What is my problem? My problem is alcohol-ism and not alcohol-wasm.

2. What is the exact nature of my alcohol-ism?

a. It's an abnormal physical reaction to alcohol (the Dr.'s Opinion calls it "an allergy of the body". Combined with:

b. An obsession of the mind. ("our problem centers in the mind").

Okay -- then, "as an alcoholic -- what is the problem that centers in my mind?"

a. It's my "insanity" in regards to alcohol. (Step 2)
b. I've lost the inability to distinguish the true from the false -- in regards to me and alcohol -- "all the time."

By taking the 12 Steps -- my "mental obsession" with alcohol has been removed.... (for me, that happened at Step Seven).

However, the "mental-obsession" that was removed from me -- is NOT the total of the "problem that centers in the mind" (my insanity in regards to alcohol).

At Step 10, my sanity in regards to alcohol -- had been restored. And, this is what I read in the BB, in the section for Step 10. ( Step 10, is the realization and the fulfillment of Step 2 "Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity."

So, yes... my "sanity in regards to alcohol", at Step 10, was "restored", or "returned" or "recovered" (for those that want to refer to it as such)...

However, in Step Ten, I also read, on page 85 BB:

"We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition."

The conclusion that I come to is:

1. Yes, my sanity in regards to alcohol, has been restored at Step 10.
2. Also, at Step 10, I'm cautioned that "I am not cured" and
3. My sane sobriety -- (my sanity in regards to alcohol) -- is something that I posess "for the moment".... "provided that" I'm maintaining a "healthy and fit spiritual condition."

I also believe what I read on page 43, Big Book:

"Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective
mental defense against the first drink. Except in a
few rare cases, neither he nor any other human being can
provide such a defense. His defense must come from a
Higher Power."

This makes a lot of sense to me, and clears up any confusion that I may get.

a. Yes, I'm sober, recovered in the sense that "my sanity in regards to alcohol has been restored" and my "mental obsession with alcohol" has been removed -- as a result of "taking the Steps."

b. Since, I am not cured -- and my sobriety depends upon the mainanence of my spiritual condition:

1: There will still be "times" that I have "no effective mental defense" against that "next first drink."

2: For the rest of my life -- moment by moment, my sobriety is conditional and contingent to "my healthy relationship with God, as I understand God"

3: "Because" -- there will be times -- when, even my sane mind -- will not be able to provide me with "an effective mental defense" against that next first drink.

4: This is "why" I MUST carry the vision of God's will into my life -- ALL THE TIME -- His will -- not mine.

For me, I see this as the most wonderful blessing that I have! I'm free -- I'm happy, joyous -- and sane! I'm sober! Recovered! "As long as" I stick close to God, and I'm actively doing God's will for me. And, "if" I am doing this -- I CAN TRUST GOD -- that He will keep me sober.

If I'm NOT doing this, continually, and day-by-day, I CAN TRUST THAT MY ALCOHOLI-ISM will raise it's ugly head and destroy me.

That's how I see it. Thanks for letting me share!

And, Lenny, thanks for adding some fire to this topic again!

I appreciate you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby lenny » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:57 pm

Dallas,that was well put,and i am of the same sentiments.not that i am a b.b thumper but for me i believe that unless i am willing to believe,that a power greater than me can and will do for me what i cannot do for myself,and that is stay away from that first drink.but god will not do for me what i can do for myself.and that is like you said maintenance on a daily basis.
having the constant thought of others ,always gets me out of my own way. :P
lenny

Postby Dallas » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:45 pm

Once, when I was re-reading Bill's Story (Okay... I'm a slow learner, so I re-read the BB daily :lol: ) this seemed to jump off the page at me:

"Belief in the power of God, plus enough willingness, honesty and humility to establish and maintain the new order of things, were the essential requirements." ~pg 13-14 BB

I thought: Wow! I've never seen it like this before! Belief -- in the Power of God. Not -- belief in God, but belief in the Power of God. (Naturally, I would have to believe in God -- to believe in the Power of God), but Bill specifically wrote "Belief in the Power of God" ... as an essential requirement.

Also, combined with that, Bill wrote "PLUS enough" willingness, honesty and humility....

So, for the next several days after that discovery, each day in meditation, "The Power of God" became my focal point -- and some really exciting things started to manifest in my life.

I love re-reading the BB, and especially Bill's Story -- it seems like the more I read it -- something I didn't notice before -- jumps out at me, just like the experience above.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby lenny » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:43 am

here is a website for a book that i use alongside of the big book very helpful,the book is called big book awakening.
*** URL removed. Please check with moderators prior to posting links to outside websites. Our guidelines here are for the benefit of all members. Moderator ***
lenny

Postby lenny » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:47 am

I also like reading it daily,i attend at least 3 bb meetings a week,and every time like you said something new jumps out that i can identify with.i have a book that i use to go along with the bb.its called big book awakening.here is the website if you are interested.
lenny

Postby lenny » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:25 pm

trust in god,clean house,work with others.thats about it,the greatest gift i have received in sobriety is LOVE,i also have recoverd from a hopless state of mind and body,now i am recovering from me.what i mean is this i have to protect me from me!and how do i do that.,i stay active,i am part of,i sponsor,i call others on a daily basis.I believe in one path to take ,and one god to believe.Our literature explains all this quite clearly.thanks and be well.
lenny

Previous

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery