- No Sponsor

No Sponsor

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

No Sponsor

Postby Fish » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:40 pm

Hey guys, first of all let me say that I know that this is bad, bad, bad, but I have no sponsor. My situation is a little odd, being that I live in Germany and work for the US military over seas. There are two groups available to me which I am thankful for. At the end of this month I will have six months of sobriety and have been entertaining hosting a once a week meeting with a focus on spiritual matters. I know that any sponsor is better than no sponsor, but also feel that this is and should be a special relationship between two people. My last sponsor is currently drinking himself back to his old ways and refuses to respond to my correspondence. Prayers for brother Phil. Any way, I'm new to this site and welcome any digital fellowship.
Fish

Postby Dallas » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Welcome to the site Fish! Glad to have you. And, if there is anything we can do for you here -- just let us know. I appreciate you as a brother in sobriety, and for what you do and are doing! You've got my support!

I'm not one that goes along with the idea that a bad sponsor is worse than no sponsor. I'd rather have no sponsor than have a bad one.

I am pro-sponsorship. But, I'm more pro about the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

In the early history of A.A. the way A.A. got started in many states, areas and countries -- there were no sponsors. It was simply one alcoholic with his book, Alcoholics Anonymous. He read the book, followed the instructions in the book, achieved and maintained sobriety, and began looking for another alcoholic to help.

From what you wrote about yourself -- it seems to me, that you could be following that same path laid down by the Pioneers that carried the message of A.A. to the world. They didn't have the luxury of having a sponsor -- and they didn't let that hold them back.

Best wishes for you and highest regards for you.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby november6 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:32 pm

Yeah, totally! I had a sponsor in the Service who sobered up oversees - her story was that she was lucky her mother (my moms old sponsor actually) was 17 years in AA and was able to hook her up with someone solid after failed attempts at local sponsors. OK, if I remember this correctly, she was needing to hide her new sobriety because she had recently before come up against some infractions dealing with drinking that she had denied were true. So it was hard to get to meetings. something like that.. The part that I do have down solid is that she did her 4th step via written letters by mail!! Over a couple month stretch! she had four years by the time her mom introduced me to her. Pretty amazing... I cannot imagine being out there in a foriegn speaking country looking to find an AA group.. wow.. Its really telling of a solid 1st step that you havn't let your situation talk you into another drink and have looked to the internet for (here) as a means to stay sober for now. Hope to see you around more.
november6

Fish / Military AA Members

Postby november6 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Hey again Fish - There is a site that we found in an official AA website that has a section for Military members that appears to be very anonymous and helpful for people overseas.. Dallas came across the same site I did! I thought you might want to check it out, as another online forum as well as this one.. It's for military and veterans only so I wasn't able to check it out other than it's intro, it seems they like to verify one is actually in the service before entry.. hope it's up your ally!

The link is: http://www.aa-intergroup.org/directory_specialty.php?code=mil

"This link has been previously approved to post -- by a Forum Moderator"

I will PM it to ya if it doesnt appear the link got to you.. good luck!
november6

Re: Fish / Military AA Members

Postby DavidW » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:33 am

november6 wrote:Hey again Fish - There is a site that we found in an official AA website that has a section for Military members that appears to be very anonymous and helpful for people overseas......

Hi November, my situation is a little bit similar to Fish's but not quite...first, I am from the UK -- not generally a problem with USA, but we do have a subtly different usage of words, idioms and styles so there can be misunderstandings -- it isn't the spelling thing, it is the style/idiom thing so vital to communicating about emotional issues. By the way, I believe that the military link is aimed at the military as they have special issues that others in the community are unlikely to understand especially if they have seen active service.

I was sober for over a decade, not really working the programme or attending meetings as I should have been, and relapsed so intend to work it through now, the 'proper' way with full commitment. However, I have been living on a boat over 1000 miles from the UK for the last six or seven years and it is just not safe (alcohol-wise) for me to go back to living on board. I shall have to get all my gear off and sell her. It isn't like selling or moving a house or a flat -- there are genuine technical issues for a start, and work that really only I can do to get a good enough price for her. With the combination of my past long sobriety, the month's work since my last drink and a degree of philosophical and perceived stoicism I believe that it will be safe for me to spend a few weeks at a time until I have everything cleared-off.

It is not possible for me to get a sponsor during this period -- not fair on him or me. I am doing Big Book readings, much other relevant material and I have the Hazleden pamphlets for steps 1 to 12 as workbooks and I shall put in at least 1.5 hours per day including online meetings when away from English speaking meetings. However, I would like to find someone to oversee my written work...maybe not to the extent that a face-to-face sponsor would, but at least to keep me on track and offer help.

If there are any sponsors here who would be happy to help me, I would be very grateful.
DavidW

Postby Dallas » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:27 pm

David, if I can be of help to you -- let me know. Welcome to the site and to the forums! I hope you'll find much here that will be of help to you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby DavidW » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Dallas wrote:David, if I can be of help to you -- let me know. Welcome to the site and to the forums! I hope you'll find much here that will be of help to you.
Dallas, thanks, I will PM you early next week when I get back to the boat and have settled down to some work. I really appreciate your kind offer and for being here to help. Yes, this forum has already been extremely helpful; it is one-to-one stuff that I need to go through just now, I think, so a sponsor/ee relationship albeit online will help enormously until I get settled.

David
DavidW

Return to Sponsors Forum