- How long should I wait to take the 12 Steps?

How long should I wait to take the 12 Steps?

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby JR » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:48 am

Musicmode,

Thanks for sharing that, I really needed to hear it.

Love Each Day,

Jr
JR

Postby Dallas » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:04 am

Hey Anne,

My name is Dallas, and I'm alcoholic, also!

I've been in a similar situation as your describing what you're going through. Been there a couple of times. I understand the confusion, the emotions, the pain in the heart. I identify. I also got through the situations.

Getting to the other side was not easy, but it was sure. The pain and confusion was enough to make me become willing to believe, and willing to hope that there really was a God, who was going to help me get to the other side of it.

I had the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. I had friends and even strangers in AA that helped me get to the other side. And, I do believe... as I look back, that there really was a God and His Angels that were watching over me.

The emotional pain got so bad that I lost 45 pounds in 30 days... (I think most of must have been water loss, as a result of the tears)... If I even thought the word food... it made me want to puke.

I remember the sober emotional blackouts... of driving through stop lights and not realizing that I had driven right through them, until I was down the road and people were honking at me.

I was 2 years sober the first time I went through it, and 5 years sober the second time. Even though I wasn't religious... I sure became grateful that Catholics had churchs open 24 hours a day... where I could go inside, light candles, pray and cry.

I really didn't think I was going to make it to the other side. But, I did. The faithful AA's kept telling me that "this too shall pass... if you don't drink and if you don't take your life." And, once again, they were right.

So, my dear sober sister.... I'm just passing on to you... what those loving AA's passed on to me... this too really will pass and there will be a sunrise with a rainbow after the storm.

Before I got myself in the situations that I got myself in to, sobriety, AA and my relationship with wanting to do what God wanted me to do, was number one in my life. And, to this day, even though many of my sober buddys would laugh and disagree... I believed that the relationship I was in, was God's will for me, at the moment. And, when it was time to leave, under similar situations as you're going through... because I didn't want to end up as a drunk casualty... I knew that it was God's will for me to leave.

This God business, for me, can be real confusing some times! During those times, I ask myself questions, like... What's God's number one thing that He wants me to do? And, for me, the answer is to stay sober... and to be willing... and to actually go... when necessary... to any lengths to stay free of alcohol.

Number 2, is that, for me, God wants me to be helping someone else... instead of thinking about myself.

Number 3, for me, is that God wants me hanging aroun in AA, sober, reaching out to help another alcoholic... and doing what I can to keep AA around for the next guy or gal who needs it.

Number 4, for me, is that God really does want me to be happy, joyous, free, and to live a good life with abundance of good in my life.

I take those four priorities, and somtimes draw me a little box, with each one of the priorities listed as one side of the box. I look inside the box. And, I look outside the box. And, I pray and meditate, and ask for the right decision and for the right actions to take.

I have a different Sponsor and a different relationship with my Sponsor that I had at two and at five years sober... so, it's a lot easier for me, to get advice and suggestions from my Sponsor, whom I trust that God will work through his clear mind... when my mind is cluttered.

Anne, you'll get through this, this too shall pass, and one day you'll look back and say something like "as confusing as it all was... how did it ever turn out this good?" And, it will turn out good. Guaranteed! If you don't drink, and if you don't harm yourself...

Hugs to you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Rusty Zipper » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:35 pm

bondage of self= disaster... it blows... see'n it happen to someone i care very much about... all i can do, is work on myself... be suportive, for awhile, and if no CHANGE.... its hit da road jack, or in my case, PC :wink:
Rusty Zipper

just me...

Postby musicmode » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:57 am

My name's Anne, alcoholic,

Thanks a bunch, guys. Ya know...the words ya'll said I already know...it's just so good when someone puts it all out in black & white (in this case..literally :) . This mornin' I woke up, & goin' about things, I noticed I wasn't so clenched with fear. Do believe it's got somethin' to do with just gettin' rid of it. Today I heard the words 'come back to me-I'll quit drinkin...but can I still smoke dope?' :shock: ...I did ask, would you like to go to a meeting. The answer was: no, all those people sittin' around talkin' about drinkin' just makes me want to drink. (Ya know..just a little sidebar here: there's another site I visit every now and then, there's a smiley icon that's hittin' its head on a brick wall...that one would fit here). Nah...I got a place, gettin' things lined up to move in over the week. This comin' Saturday is our roundup (Taber-50th Anniversary-One Day At A Time), so I got things I gotta do...well, just one thing, but it's about a 2 day project...not drugery by any means...in fact, the very wisp of fresh air I've been needin' for sure. I do see all of the support I've got around me, inside & outside AA. I pray for the one alcoholic in my life who is truly still sufferin'...his thinkin' is that it'll fix ever'thin' if I go back. And--I gotta be honest...I dowanna go back, y'know...this all feels so unnatural, yet--there's one very vital reason for me to not...I absolutely cannot be around any form of mind alterin' substance. I asked the girls how they felt, my older one don't, that's for sure...my younger one's old enough to know what's goin' on, but--y'know...I gotta listen to that. Nobody said that this program's easy...the easier softer way's what's run me into all kinds of brick walls. I doknow (thanks Dallas)...let go and let God...I know I'll get through this, thanks for typin' out the words, though--means more than ya know. This one's tough, but maybe--ju-usst maybe, I's tougher. Maybe not, but I know God is. Thanks for bein' here for me, & thanks for lettin' me bounce the mental clutter off of ya. 'Preciate it.

Easy does it (but do it)....Annie 8)
musicmode

Hello again!

Postby Spiritman » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:37 am

I'm still sober!
I don't miss drnking, I do accessing the Step12.com pages.
Hope all of you are well, filled with joy and recovery.
I'll be back on line in a day or two! Hopefully Tuesday night.

Peace, Recovery, Serenity,

The Spiritman
Spiritman

Ooops

Postby Spiritman » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:39 am

I meant to type" I do miss accessing..."

Sorry,
The Spiritman
Spiritman

Postby Rusty Zipper » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:12 am

hey La'MusicaMode... lol... memba, they get us drunk, befo we get them sob'a... i know it can blow... Freedom from Fear is better than the Crack Pipe... i know for me i do not like to hear it right now... when my head conects with my heart, all will be as it should... love ya's... PC :wink:
Rusty Zipper

Tom I.

Postby Spiritman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:10 pm

I wish all of you could come hear Tom I., this evening at the meeting. He has been around for awhile, and has been a wonderfuil example and leader for me and many others for many years.
He loves and practices the 12 and 12 on a daily basis, and sets an example for everyone. We always bumped heads in the treatment arena, but in the AA world... I can not say enough.
I suppose that the oldtimers (49 years) set examples that some of us new timers --me-- (compared to him) disagree with and confront. Yet, Tom I. has always kept his eyes and head open, and has been a wonderful example for me.
I am greatful that he is still with us, and I am grateful that many of you that participate in these web pages pave a road for me to follow and learn form.
Thank you.

Peace, Serenity, Recovery,
he Spiritman
Spiritman

howdy, howdy!

Postby musicmode » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:26 am

My name is Anne, I'm an alcoholic,

God, grant us the serenity to accept the things I can not change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference, Amen.

I began to write somethin' else, & the serenity prayer poured out instead...jus' lettin' the spirit flow.

Today was a good day. Yesterday mornin' I awoke to a real sense of inner-calm, & today is still there. I know not to make excuses for anyone else, at the same time, I's beginnin' to see my part in the landscape, too. The clouds though are startin' to clear...&...ya know that feelin' one gets after a storm? It's a precarious feelin', but I like it. Feel a good sense of concious contact. So much good comes when ya lean on the Big Guy upstairs, & the fellowship. Thanks ya'll fer helpin' me row this boat into the head wind. I am so very grateful to be sober, and grateful for such a close-knit program. Too bad ya'll couldn't be here for our One Day At A Time--Taber's 50th Anniversary Roundup. I's able to pitch in & paint up a banner for the front of the room...I won't be attending it myself cuz I got me a funeral to attend back home. What I was lookin' forward to the most was our banquet speaker is from the Blackfoot Nation, & s'posed to be havin' some drummin' & the grace is gonna be said in the Blackfoot language. The Spiritual angle, yah, that's where it's at. Have a great weekend ya'll, and do keep comin' back...it works if ya work it. Amen.

Take it easy...Annie 8)
musicmode

How long should wait to take the 12 steps?

Postby Jim W » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:38 pm

You hear all kinds of crap in AA about this subject-most of it comes from treatment centers. Stuff like "wait a year to do your fourth step," or "wait until you feel better." I would been feeling better on a barstool.

What if Bill Wilson had waited a year, or what if Dr. Bob had waited until felt better about himself to do his amends? None of us would be here.
Jim W

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Steps