- THE DOCTOR’S OPINION

THE DOCTOR’S OPINION

Alcoholics Anonymous AA Big Book Study and Discussion.

Postby GeoffS » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:47 pm

For me I like to remember the way the Dr describes the disease as twofold:

an allergy of the body coupled with an obsession of the mind.

I can get a reprieve from the body part as long as I don't put a drink in.
I need to maintain my spiritual fitness on a daily basis - to get a repreive from the obsession.

That tells me my disease is centred in my mind. I need to change my thinking to help my mind. The 12 steps show me precisely how the first 100 did that.

Why would anyone not want to follow their recipe?
GeoffS

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:01 pm

I esp. like the fact that page XXX is so tasty;-)
Ranman99

Postby lenny » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:17 pm

hello all,new to the forum.if we do exactly,precisely,and specifically,what the big book says,you will never relapse or think about drinking. :D
lenny

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:27 pm

Welcome to the site Lenny! Glad you're here!

So true! I agree.

The only problem I've had is -- being able to consistantly do it exactly, precisely, and specifically -- every day.

Being perfectly imperfect -- I have a tendency to screw it up. :lol: And, that's why I need the help from God, which, for me, comes to me -- through all of you -- and a commitment from myself, to absolutely give it my best shot and try to do it as exactly, precisely, and specifically as I can!

Thanks for sharing it! I appreciate you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby lenny » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:33 am

thanks,dallas for me it is constant vigilance.being aware of thoughts,actions or words.and this is not always easy to do.so for me the fellowship is very inspirational.listening to those around me ,and sharing my thoughts,is one way for me to focus on the here and now.in fellowship love len. :)
lenny

Postby Dallas » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:07 am

I understand Lenny. It has been constant work for me, too.

What seemed to me, to be interesting was: when the obsession to drink had been removed from me. I no longer had that obsession -- and it wasn't taking me any effort to "not drink" as long as I continued to take the necessary actions to stay sober.

I'm still amazed -- that the insanity of drinking -- has been absent for a while now. I no longer think about drinking -- other than a thought that, "Boy! that sure would be my doom!" or, when sharing my story with another alcoholic -- with the hopes that it may help both of us to maintain our sobriety.

It does seem to get easier -- the longer that I continue to be daily consistent in doing the things that I must do -- to hang on to my sobriety.

And, I've also discovered -- that when I'm consistent in doing that -- my life seems to get easier, too. I guess I very seldom have problems because I've been doing less in creating new problems. :lol:

Good to hear from you Lenny! I hope to hear again from you soon!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby lenny » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:33 pm

the only time i think about drinking,is when i hear it at meetings,other than that the thought never enters my mind,and yes what u said is so true our problems today are of our own making,especially for me.whenever i start thinking on my own im headed for trouble :shock:
lenny

Postby Dallas » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:17 pm

We seem to have a few things in common Lenny! :lol: :lol: Keep coming back -- never know when I might need you!

Yep. I've sat in meetings and heard so much talk about drinking that it actually made me thirsty! I had to change meetings a few times and go to meetings where they talked more about recovery than they talked about the problem!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby lenny » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:14 am

it is sad sometimes i'll go to an od meeting and listen to some of the nonsense being spewed,and then i'll throw my 2 cents in and they damn near want to run me out=)there's a lot of untreated alkies in the fellowship,and boy when you mention the b.b.they give u a look like you just fell from mars,
lenny

Postby Dallas » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:25 pm

I know what you mean Lenny. Reading the book takes effort -- more than memorizing or parroting something that gets chuckles. Plus, alkies & work??? :lol: :lol: So, they might grab on to some phrases that are easy to memorize and "appear" that they are hip, slick and cool. Trouble is: they get so slick they slip out the back door.

What I think is unfortunate is: the one's that bash AA, and say the AA Program doesn't work or it had problems. The problem isn't with the AA Program.

It's like a car w/ a flat tire. The driver says the jack sucks because it didn't jump out of the trunk on it's own, jack up the car and change the tire for him! :shock: Truth be told: The driver never even opened the trunk! And, on closer observation -- the guy did everything he could to keep the trunk from opening!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Big Book Study