- Daily Check-In

Daily Check-In

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Postby Dallas » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:41 pm

Nice to hear from the two of you! Thanks for checking in and sharing! I appreciate you!

Sometimes, I really have to look hard to find a problem that I have that I can share about -- No, I don't have any secret problems :lol: :lol: I just very seldom have any problems any more! :lol:

Life treats me pretty Good! Much better than I deserve! I don't have kids to take care of -- I wonder if that's why I have few problems? :lol:

Nope. I do know of others, like me, with no kids, and of course, me, too, when still with no kids -- that problems were coming by the train loads! And, once in a while, I'll still get a few of them. Just none to write about today.

Maybe, I've worked at it long enough, that I've got a few routines down -- and when I'm disciplined enough to stick to those routines -- Life, for the most part, seems to take care of everything. It's when I get off the "Routine for Living that Works" -- that's when my problems will shortly follow.

A routine that does a lot of good for me is taking care of two dogs. I'm the dog dad -- so I try to keep them happy and well taken care of. They love to go for rides in the Suburban. Sometimes, I don't feel like it -- but, I know how much pleasure they get from it -- so, I'll harness them up, and we'll head out to buy breakfast snacks in the morning, before they eat their regular breakfast. They enjoy it. They look forward to it. Then, in the evening -- I'll try to fit it in to take them on a short ride.

Sometimes, it seems as though, Life is being good to me, because I'm trying to take care of God's dogs -- the best I can. I don't know. But, there seems to be a direct correlation -- the happier they get and the more dedicated I am to serving them -- the better my life gets.

Or, maybe it's a combination of things -- like calling my sponsor on time, trying to be helpful to others, and doing the daily sobriety deal.... and taking care of the dogs.

Sometimes, and I'd swear by this, too -- I get the feeling that those dogs are taking care of me -- and, that's probably what the real deal is!

Just checking in. Nothing important to write about. I'm sober, reasonably sane today, healthy, happy -- and looking forward to ending this message so that I can go check in on the phone w/ my sponsor!

Best wishes to all!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby PeaceJoy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:27 pm

November6, I'm glad to hear you are finding some serenity. I remember the days of little sleep with babies.

Dallas, what kind of dogs do you have? Pets are such wonderful therapy. Dogs are the best companions! They really show unconditional love, don't they? We are adopting a pug. We pick him up the middle of October when he's old enough to leave mama. I can't wait!

I like what was said about routine that works. It's probably one reason I feel off balance. My schedule changes so much and life is up in the air right now. For now, my routine is simply to get to a meeting every day. Most days I'm achieving that.

PeaceJoy~
PeaceJoy

Postby Dallas » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:07 pm

I have a Black Lab and a Golden Retriever. The Golden Retriever is my sister's pup. She died in December 2007, and I'm taking care of him for her until she comes back for him. And, she's taking care of my little girl pup that I had for 16 yrs., until I go to be with her. We have a deal. :wink:

A routine was the hardest thing for me to get down with. My sponsor helped me with this by demanding that -- every day -- I make a "To Do List."

I used to grumble (silently, of course, without him hearing me) "Where's that in the book?" :lol: :lol: Then, one day, I found it in the BB, in the section for Step 10. "On awakening let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead. We consider our plans for the day." ~ pg 86. And, I thought... "How'd he know that and I didn't?" :lol: That became the last time that I ever questioned his wisdom. :wink:

At first, I made lists that included things that I couldn't or didn't get done. And, that wasn't helpful. So, I changed it to make it very simple -- only including the stuff that I was going to regularly do anyway! Example:

1. Wake up
2. Brush my teeth
3. Get a cup of coffee
4. Make my bed
5. Say a prayer
6. Read one page in the BB
7. Help someone do something
8. Go to a meeting.

And, I had to work at it to get that much done! One through three weren't so difficult. It was 4 through 8, daily that really took some discipline.

As I would complete my list I started to feel good about myself. I felt like I had accomplished something worthy. I was able to face my sponsor and say "Yes! I did it!" or "Yes! I have my list today!" -- more things that helped contribute to me feeling good about myself.

I began to recognize that one of the reasons I used to drink so much (on the way to becoming alcoholic and afterwards) was: I didn't feel good about myself. And, drinking would change that for me.

So, it was a wonderful new discovery for me to have feelings of feeling good about myself -- while sober! For me, that was like a miracle!

I also noticed that the better I felt about myself -- the more things I could then add to my To Do List. And, to get them done! More important things like: Sort my bills. Pay my bills. Make a budget. Work today! Earn more than I spend today! :lol: :lol: And, most importantly ... "find an alcoholic that I can help today!" (Not just 'go to a meeting' but actually search out for some alcoholic that I could help! )

I began to get some discipline and structure in my life. Two things that most of us alkies lack! And, the lack of discipline and structure kept our lives into problem and crisis cycles. One problem building on the other and feeling crappy about ourselves to the point that we couldn't stay sober! It would literally drive us back to the bottle -- or worse.

I began to notice that the more consistant I was with keeping my To Do List -- the more 'Better Days' that I would have. Then, the Better Weeks, and now... the Better Months. And, lately... just using these simple tools of ours -- each month is getting better than the month before. Sometimes, twice as good -- in improvement.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby PeaceJoy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:23 pm

I can soooo relate to the problem/crisis cycle. I get a routine going and things start to get better. Then I get bored with the routine and change it up and let it all go until there's a crisis and I have to get back on track. Hmmmm.....never related that to alcohol though. Doh!

PeaceJoy~
PeaceJoy

Postby ccs » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:14 am

I love this thread !!! so much that I am checkin in too :lol: I am from Tampa Rose maybe we know some of the same people ? its really cool that you are checkin in and doin the deal :D

Dallas I know what you mean about the doggies one of my kids is gettin old and we are visiting the vet alot more these days :cry: I just hate to see her uncomfortable they do bring me a lot of joy and they love me sooo much they have been with me through alot and inspite of it they still love me :D

heres a little Prayer I like to say Dear GOD PLease help me to become the person that my Dogs think I am AMEN :D

Peacejoy hang in there you are doing a great service for your Mom be careful tho take very good care of you first :)

you are all in my PRAYERS

LUV-2-ALL Cess
ccs

Postby Dallas » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:41 am

Thanks for joining in and checking in Cessie! I miss you when your away. Of course, I see you on FB... but, that's kind of different. Here, we all know what we're here for -- to stay sober and help another alcoholic to achieve sobriety, while we try to practice these principles in all our affairs, and to learn from each others experience, how to demonstrate and live the Spiritual Life together. We do that there, too, but I don't think all my FB friends share the same primary purpose that we do here. Plus, we can type longer messages here! :lol:

Thanks for all that you do here, and there, and all that you do that helps me everyday! I appreciate you and love you. Hugs to you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby november6 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:50 pm

Hey ccs! It was really awesome to see another check-in :D I lived in Tampa from around mid '05-'07 I think! I really loved the AA there - My homegroup was Sat night Mustard Seed speaker grp and I went to every Sat Morn 3333 and Wed bayshore regularly and pretty much hit other random ones daily around town.. I really loved AA there! It was a truly hard time in my life and I was still struggling with many hardships when I left, but inspite of myself I was truly given a rock-solid foundation that I do and don't use to this day, ha!
It was an honor to grow up in public in that fellowship:) Good to meet you!!

Today I woke up a bit anxious for no real reason.. I just finished sitting down and took a few mins and decided to abandon my fears for the day (one min at a time!) and then came online here again.. I am feeling better, and my sweet baby girl is trying to eat the show off my foot right now:) Life is good!

And nice to hear ya on here again as well Dallas! You are becoming familiar to my AA world and its great!
:D :D
november6

Postby PeaceJoy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:24 am

It's 1 a.m. and I just got home. I had a great day. First was Mom's dr. appt and it went really well. Then up to Everett, WA to see my sponsor. We did some girl stuff and then went to a FANTASTIC meeting. The topic was resentments. The meeting was full and everybody there seemed like they really wanted to learn and improve and get down to business.

Then we went back to her house and she fixed my sewing machine. Woohoo! Saved me a ton of money by not having to take it in to get it serviced.

Then we started on my 4th step.............woah! :shock: That is going to be a long, emotionally draining process but what she told me is that it should feel like getting out in the mud, working hard all day and then coming in the house and taking a nice hot shower. Cleaning all the mud off. :) I'm hoping that I can do a thorough one so that I don't have to go through it again!

Thanks for helping me stay sober one more day.

PeaceJoy~
PeaceJoy

Postby Dallas » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:33 am

And, thank you! For helping me, today, too!!! I appreciate you and I'm wishing the best for you. I really got into your sharing about your exprience w/ your sponsor -- almost like I could see it going on! I'm grateful for your sponsor -- and for you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby PeaceJoy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:50 am

OK I'm tired this morning. I stayed up till closing time but woke up without the hangover! :lol: I'm at my house for the weekend but have to work all day today and all day Monday at my regular job. Today I might still get a meeting in. I really should.......not sure yet. Tomorrow is my women's meeting. That's my favorite one of the week. To any new women that might be reading this, I really reccommend women's meetings. Nothing against the dudes :P but less distractions and you can be a little more free with what you say. There's major chick power at those meetings! I'm sure it's the same way for the men's meetings too.

PeaceJoy~
PeaceJoy

PreviousNext

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery