- With earnestness -- continue to watch

With earnestness -- continue to watch

Topics related to AA Meetings - and alcohol addiction recovery

With earnestness -- continue to watch

Postby Dallas » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:07 am

For me, today: "With earnestness -- continue to watch." All it takes is one dumb, thoughtless, immature, childish action -- to tear down months and years of my efforts to improve upon my effectiveness. "God, help me to act as if -- I'm a mature adult today."

One unkind action -- can wipe out my effectivess of showing 1,000 acts of kindness. Most often, I'll do these unkind actions -- while being in a state of "thoughtless-ness."

In Step 10, we are admonished to continue to watch for the re-arousal of character defects that we've worked so hard to eliminate. In the first paragraph in the BB, in the section on Step 10, Bill writes the word "continue" several times.

Step 10 is not just a step that we practice daily -- once a day -- to measure, inspect and make corrections towards progress, and to make amends and seek forgiveness once each day. It's a Step that we practice all throughout the day. Making spot checks and inspections.

What condition is my condition in? If my condition is in good and healthy condition -- AND -- I'm continually practicing "thoughtful-ness" I'll be less likely to act in an "thoughtless" manner.

We talk often of the importance of "maintaining our spiritual fitness". Do we think and speak of this in an abstract manner? What does it really mean to me, to: "maintain my spiritual condition"?

For me, it means the maintenance of good character -- and good actions.

It's another day, when based upon my healthy choices, good actions, and the maintenance of the principles of good character -- I can actually be demonstrating "the vision of God's will for me" in all of my activities.

"To carry" -- the vision of God's will for me -- I must have it -- to transmit it. I have to own it. It has to be -- me.

This is what it means to me, when I read, "The Spiritual Life is not a theory -- we must live it."

Am I living it? Moment by moment. Hour by hour. And, day by day. Practicing 'principles' -- of good character -- rather than just talking about them and thinking about them.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:15 pm

I like it Dallas. I have decided to celebrate my 1000th day of sobriety in a big way. For me I have a check list and if basically I am convinced I have applied this in all my affairs on that day I will celebrate the promise of the first sentence of the forward to the first edition.

I will celebrate by allowing my wife to by me a gift maybe a wireless surround sound system which will actually be a gift for the whole family partially because I am half deaf from playing in rock bands and going to concerts and I play the TV at an annoying level so a couple of speakers behind me will help that deal. That is how I convince the Al-anon in my life :oops:

However what is more important I came up with a topic I like to throw out in meetings and listen to the discussion.

The topic is: When we use the expression "Let go and let God" or "Turn it over" are the instructions on how to do that on page 60 of the fourth edition. I love the topic. "Just what to we mean by that" I laugh like a loon. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PEACE AND HARMONY REFLECT THE SUDDEN CHANGE
Ranman99

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Hey -- I don't think I told you guys this lately, but here it is now: I love you man! I REALLY do! :lol:

And -- I ALWAYS read each message that you post -- I've been trying to not comment on every single message and just "listen" to what you share with me. That's helping me. But, don't get used to it. As soon as you get used to it -- bigger than the sky, I'll change again! :lol:

Thank you for sharing! I read what you share and I see so much personal identification with you. It's almost like when you're writing about you -- I could say, you're writing about me -- because I relate so much, to what you share about your own selves and your own circumstances and situations.

So, thank you much! You keep me coming back -- sober. You remind me to be good to myself. You remind me of my own promises and commitments that I've made to myself. You remind me "why" I continue to do this deal. And, most of all -- you continue to keep me doing it!

AA prepares me for how to live my life -- outside of AA. If I'm not living a life outside of meeting rooms -- I'm doing something wrong. If I'm not getting better -- there is something I need to change. And, the change could be -- to the meetings that I go to. Some meetings seem to stunt my growth. Some make me feel worse after I've been to them. So, I don't go to meetings to try and get better, or to grow, or to feel good. I go to try to be of help to someone else. And, if I can do that -- I feel good. When I can't do that -- I need to be somewhere else.

Sobriety has taught me how to do good things for myself -- and still stay sober doing them. :lol: If I'm not being good to me -- you can bet your bippy that I'm not being good to anyone else.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:50 pm

I'd prefer to read the Book of Keith. I could related. :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:50 am

Hi Keith!

Just wanted to thank you for your heartfelt sharing. It means so much to me. It makes me feel full and happy, like I've just eaten a big, delicious meal.

Every day, no matter if I feel like it or not, I take the actions to insure my sobriety.

I'm a gardener and right now it's harvest time for all the wonderful vegetables that have been growing since spring. Time to can and freeze for the winter days ahead. It's a commitment!

My sobriety is like that. When it's sunny and warm, I plant and water and weed and nurture. I store up the fruits of those actions for the days that are dark and cold. And those days surely come! Sobriety, like food, is essential for my life. And though both involve work, it's a work I've come to enjoy and delight in every day. So exciting when a seedling pops up, just like the excitement of seeing a newcomer take the seed of AA and start to grow. And it's so enlarging to share the fruits of my garden, just like sharing my experience, strength and hope in this program.

I, too, could go on ad infinitum, but there's this job that awaits....

Thanks to all of you for being part of my sobriety! :D
sunlight

Return to A. A. Meeting Topics