- Gratitude

Gratitude

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

Gratitude

Postby PeaceJoy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:47 am

I think this would be the proper section to post this. Today was a long and involved day. By 5:00 I was fed up with my <just turned 18> son who thinks he is suddenly a man now. He was being rude and disrespectful. I went to a meeting and got a lot out of it. I left the meeting feeling great. I came home and the other two teens were gone. DH was doing his thing and I decided to take my 18 yr old son out for his first driving lesson. My car is a manual transmission and so is DH's truck, so I have put this off a long time. By the time we got out to a large empty parking lot it was about 9:00p.m. We drove around that parking lot for over an hour and now I sit here feeling so good. Why, you ask? Because 4 months ago I would have been drunk at 9:00 at night. I would not have been able to go out and do the driving lesson. I also wouldn't have been able to stay as calm as I was. <I did have a moment of panic but that was it> and had I managed to stay sober that late in the day for the lesson, I most certainly would have come home and used the nerves as a great excuse to get my drink on. So then by the time 11:00 rolls around and I have to go pick up the other two from the game, I would have either a) been too drunk to drive and told them to walk or ride home with a friend............or b) drove anyway. Most likely I would have driven anyway. :(
So.....I just wanted to share in this little incident that I think God has given me. I am grateful!

PeaceJoy~
PeaceJoy

Postby Dallas » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:05 pm

Thank you for sharing! Gratitude is a topic that is always timely and relevant for me!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby november6 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:39 pm

That's really awesome PeaceJoy :D
I grew up with a mom in the program and though it had its downfalls I'm sure, I wouldn't have changed it if I could. many of her friends in AA are to this day like family to me- it must be really awesome for your boys to have mom!
november6

Postby Dallas » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:34 pm

I've often thought of how great it would be to grow up in an A.A. family. I left home when I was 13. I guess I was making the family disfunctional. :lol: :lol: Or, at least that's what my dad kept telling me. When I got sober -- A.A. became my family that I had always wanted. They became my brothers, sisters, moms, dads, uncles, aunts and friends. I feel that way whenever I walk into a meeting. It doesn't matter if it's the first time for the meeting or the thousandth time -- I feel at home, like I'm with my real family.
Dallas
Site Admin

I am so grateful:

Postby Debrinconcita » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:36 am

GRATITUDE is the one thing that I have alot of? Without it I would be a smug head case wouldn't I? I guess I just still cannot believe that I haven't used any alcohol for the past 5 yrs still? IT's a pure miracle. BUT I sincerely know without GoD's help this would have never came about. JOYCE MEYER MINISTRIES show's on television sure didn't hurt either. I was watching her and it gave me the idea to get some help finally. THEN I started reading the bible then I thought IF THERE's a REAL God he is the only one that can HELP ME NOW! So I asked and it's was like he took away the hard part the cravings and the repetition. Cause were talking someone who drank alcohol every day since the age of 15yrs old. I am now 47 yrs old. SO GRATEFUL is all I can say, It works if you want it Sobriety that is, ASK GOD & YOU WILL RECEIVE HIS HELP. Like I did. It's for real. I have gratitude, joy & happiness all full up in my life instead of Addiction, hangovers, drug pains, stealing, lying and no money in my pocket!!! THANKS TO GOD & GRATITUDE & AA IT WORKS!!! :lol:
Debrinconcita

Postby Pebbles » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:01 pm

I am so very grateful that my twins have sober parents, and are able to hang around lots of other recovering alcoholics besides. My boys have been around AA since they were babies, and one day when they were 3-4 years old, we were out picking berries. Just out of the blue, as we were picking berries, one of my boys said "Keep coming back, it works!". I know that I can't make my kids be sober, but they know that the program is there if they need it. How awesome is that???
Pebbles

Postby Dallas » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's pretty cool! Grateful that you shared it!!!
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity