- AA Big Book Sponsors

AA Big Book Sponsors

Discussions related to Sponsors, Sponsoring, Working with others,

Postby Dallas » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:46 am

Gees, Toddy! I end up going through several guys to get to work with one like you! I guess your sponsor must be getting the cherry-picks and that's why I'm just getting the leftovers! :lol: :lol:

I don't sponsor guys for the recognition of how great & successful they become, or how active in sharing that they do -- I do it because it keeps me sober! And, my hopes are that they stay sober, too! Heck, if I end up drunk someday -- I hope to have one that I've sponsored to be there to sponsor me! :lol:

Some guys really do have a difficult time sharing in meetings. I like being around those types more than I like being around one's that can really flap their lips and sound like a parrot.

I, too, had a difficult time sharing when I was new. And, my sponsor was most often embarrased when I did share! Sometimes, when I'd share, his head would fall towards the table and his hands would cover his head as if he was praying "Oh God! What did I do that was so wrong to deserve this one!" :lol: For real. Not making that up. I guess I just sounded like an idiot when I'd share! :lol: And, when I look back on some of my sharing -- I understand! I was kind of nutty to the extreme! :lol:

One thing that helped me more than anything to get comfortable was: to get a commitment for a job at the meetings I attended. If I couldn't get them to appoint me to doing something -- I'd appoint myself. I'd get to the meetings early and ask the coffee person to let me help them make the coffee so that I could learn to make the coffee -- just in case I stayed sober long enough to become a coffee person! After we had the coffee brewing I'd see if I could help put out the literature, if they had any. Then, I'd stand at the door, and appoint myself to greet people as they came to the meeting. It gave myself the opportunity to introduce myself to them, to shake their hands, and to get to know the names of the one's that kept coming back. It also helped me -- so that I knew which one's to point the other newcomer's to -- to ask for help! Then, at the end of the meeting, I'd designate myself to be the trash man -- empty the trash, pick up litter. Wipe off the tables. Straighten up the chairs and sweep the floor. Then, I could walk the last person in the meeting, usually the guy or girl w/ the key -- to their car and wish them a good night. It helped me to know they safely got to their car without being bothered. And, once in a while -- it was them, that needed to talk to someone, so we'd head out to a coffee shop and I'd sit there for hours w/ them, listening to them share, or listen to them talk about the problems they were having.

I believe that it was those activities that helped me a lot more than sharing my words of non-wisdom that wasn't going to help anyone and especially wouldn't have helped me to be listening to myself! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toddy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:05 pm

heck id stand in a line a mile long and a mile wide to sponsor you dallas, however why dont we all just stay sober instead, just a thought,
Toddy Thanks for your help.
Toddy

Postby Toddy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:03 pm

I always was the first and last a t any party, aa hasn't changed that Im 2 coffee guys a key guy at one church,and self appointed greeter and walker to the car guy, just comes natural I staRT THE phone number lists etc, newcombers thik I own the jointheheToddy
Toddy

Postby Dallas » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:02 am

You've really hooked my interest Toddy!!! Let me know the outcome of the conversation w/ your sponsor! Maybe... you're just one of those that "walks the walk" rather than "talks the talk." If I were your sponsor -- I'd tell the peer pressure to take a hike. :lol: :lol:

In my book: A man that can show me what he does by his walk -- is worth more than 100 men that can tell me what they do by their talk.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Pebbles » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:27 am

I have to agree 100 Percent on that one, Dallas....walk the walk, and you are showing me something I want. :)
Pebbles

Postby Toddy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:01 pm

i tend to agree hense my cofusion, when i fially sponsor somene if i were approached by a peer as described, i will politely ask that he lean into th impending knuckle sanwich as i have the serenity to accept what i cannot, change, his knuckle sandwich his lean will help me and my 115lbs of exertion
Toddy

Postby Dallas » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Toddy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi all illhave my 90 in 90 sATURDAY thanks for all the support my sponsor thing has leveled offhe says hes hearing great things about me maybe he sensed my frustrtion, bottom line i trust him,he has a great responsibility , ME wewill figure it out.
Toddy

Postby lenny » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Dallas wrote:You've really hooked my interest Toddy!!! Let me know the outcome of the conversation w/ your sponsor! Maybe... you're just one of those that "walks the walk" rather than "talks the talk." If I were your sponsor -- I'd tell the peer pressure to take a hike. :lol: :lol:

In my book: A man that can show me what he does by his walk -- is worth more than 100 men that can tell me what they do by their talk.

Dallas
amen to that. :D
lenny

Postby Toddy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:35 am

5 months yesterday, my sponsor and I are in a good place, he is finally doing what I tell him to do....hehe.
It took some attitude adjusting for both of us, but it was definitely worth the effort.

Toddy
Toddy

PreviousNext

Return to Sponsors Forum