- What's your definition of reality?

What's your definition of reality?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

What's your definition of reality?

Postby Dallas » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:02 pm

What does that mean to you? re: In Dr.'s Opinion: "that we were in full flight from reality" pg xxiv 3rd Ed. BB.

Thanks for your replies.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Jim W » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:24 am

The right here and the right now.
Jim W

Postby Larry H. » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Denial was a part of fleeing reality for me. In my drinking days I was always in denial about my problem. I always thought up a solution to my getting too drunk. They never worked of course the reality was that once I started I could not predict how much or how long I would drink. I never faced that reality. The chapter on more about alcoholism really hit home with me. I was always trying a "NEW" way to control my drinking. I even enlisted the help of a buddy and gave him the job of stopping me when I had too much, then in typical alcoholic behavior I got angry when he tried to do what I had asked.

Habitual lying about everything was another part of my fleeing reality. By habitual lying I mean that I lied all the time, even if the truth would have been easier. It was habit by the time I reached my bottom. The big problem was I had told some of the lies so often that I began to believe them myself and thought of them as actual facts and occurences.

Resentments were yet another of my escapes from reality I was always angry at some one or something for my troubles. I never was able to accept the fact that my troubles were almost entirely (maybe entirely) caused by the guy in the mirror. I was always especially angry and resentful towards those individuals who were simply doing thier duty to protect the public from my actions. Note I said my actions. I was not a bad person, today I feel that the truly bad person is rare. However many of us and cetainly myself included did many bad actions when drinking. I perceived that I was a bad person. The reality was I was sick person who sometimes did bad things.

Many many more areas of my past fit the statement that I was fleeing from reality. God, the 12 steps of AA, the members of AA groups I attended and most of all my sponsor helped me to finally see and embrace reality.

Larry,
--------------------
The only thing I had to change was everything
Larry H.

Postby Dallas » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:55 pm

I wish we had those little "Like" buttons on here -- like on Facebook! I like what you share guys!!! Thanks for helping me today!!! I appreciate you! Keep coming back! I'll be doomed without you! :wink:

It's always better for me to be listening to your thinking -- instead of sitting here all alone with mine!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Lynn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:09 am

For most of my life I did something everyday to change my reality-

alcohol
drugs
sex
sleep
money
food
fighting
church
etc, etc.

That, I guess is what I think about when I think of "full flight."
Lynn

Postby Bensober » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:19 am

Thanks Dallas,
Good question to pose. I guessed a lot with what was reality. Reality always in the past used what it seems like to impose itself on me. It always rudely knocked on my door saying “I’m here can I come inâ€
Bensober

Postby junebug » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:49 pm

great thread I just happened upon. Funny I surrounded myself with like people who drank like me or worse so it was like the Emperor's Clothes. NO ONE would tell me- cause they were doing it too! The only way I was able to catch this freedom was when I was able to identify in a meeting. Thank God! Pure despair for me. I KNEW I had a problem and kept drinking despite my knowing. (BB)
junebug

Postby Pebbles » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:05 pm

I'd have to say that reality for me is life on life's terms.
Pebbles

Postby Toast » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:33 pm

Loved Junebugs comments, fits me down to a tee! :lol:

I used to wonder why everyone that was an alcoholic knew that i was one long before i did. I'd be out on a bar crawl, well dressed and thinking i was as smooth as a sharks ass when these Bagmen would suddenly stop me in the street and beg me for money because as they said ' i knew the score'. This may have been obvious to them but it sure as hell never occurred to me? I was far to wrapped up in me to notice anything out of the ordinary, to me living that sort of life was the most natural thing in the world. And i was so arrogant i thought i you were'nt me you were missing out on something. :shock:

They say the smallest package in the world is someone who is totally wrapped up in themselves. I certainly go along with that! :P

PS, What a blessing this site is to this alcoholic, thanks!
Toast

Postby junebug » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:08 pm

on this day, and everyday, really I would like to second that! This site IS a blessing! Thanks!
junebug

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery