- What's your definition of reality?

What's your definition of reality?

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

Postby PeaceJoy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:35 pm

Thanks for the encouragement you guys!
PeaceJoy

Postby merckx » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:33 am

Dallas that is a great question!!! For me "my" reality is whatever I deem to be real in and around my life. When I was drinking my reality frequently differed from those around me who were non-alcoholic. Today, sober and healthy, I find my reality still differs from those around me who are non-alcoholic.

When I was drinking and using, I chose to view things in a certain light so I could continue to drink and use. Now that I am sober, I choose to view things in a certain light so I can remain sober and at peace. "Acceptance is the Answer" is one of the stories in the Big Book that has played a large part in my sobriety up to this point. I believe that concept of acceptance has changed the way I view the world (reality) and often causes me to see the world differently from others.

I have stopped seeing many things in my life as good or bad and instead see them simply as being. In my world anything that gets to "be" is because my higher power has allowed it to "be". The people, places, and situations that exist around me are simply that ... things that get to "be" because my higher power has let them do so. That is reality. "My" reality is defined by how I choose to percieve those things that are "being" around me.

Going back to what I said earlier, my reality often conflicts with the personal realities of those around me. Those around me who are non-alcoholic can view the world in way that allows resentments and unhealthy attitudes. They have the luxury of living as irritable, restless, and discontent people. I on the other hand cannot afford to, nor do I want to, live like that. As a result I percieve the world differently and have found joy, peace, and abundance.
Last edited by merckx on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
merckx

Postby Dallas » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:09 pm

Thanks for sharing merckx! I understand. Been that way for me, too!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:47 am

Well I would never have figured out that I was asleep dreaming that I was awake. Not in the condition that I was in altering reality through just about any means possible.

I like the theme that the steps are really about removing things. Throwing out all the stuff that keeps us blocked or more importantly old ideas I had (and still have some times :roll: ) that I believed were correct but they were wrong.

There was no way for me to make progress under those circumstances becuase I did not know they were trash. The best approach I could ever recommend would be to forget everything you think you know and start fresh with an open mind as you work the steps. In my case it was another crash but it takes what it takes.

I like what Sandy B. says. If you look at then most powerful explosion known to man it comes from splitting an Atom :P

There is a lot of power down there in them details :roll:

Thanks for the vid Dallas just found it today and will be watching it over the next few days.

Chuck is on the fave list of a few of us folks over here. I'll pass the word.

To all Happy New Year. It's gonna be the best year yet one moment at a time :!:
Ranman99

Postby sunlight » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:15 pm

I know I'm going to be all over the place with this one, but I want to give it a go.

I once asked a priest, "Is it wrong to drink and do drugs?" He said, "Well, drinking and drugging alter your perception of reality, and reality is where God is."

So, where is God for me, besides everywhere?

God is in my heart and in my life (page 25 big book "..the absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives in a way that is truly miraculous.")

Reality, for me, is God living in and through me.

My part is to learn, through prayer and meditation, what He would have me be and do.

I was in full flight from this in my drinking days! (Blaming my kids cuz I was sitting in the drunk tank! :roll: )

Reality is who and what I really am : a child of God, an alcoholic.

It's perceiving, experiencing and re-creating through the Power of Love, the heart of God.

REALITY CAME
BUT I WAS TOO LAME
TO GET UP AND ANSWER THE DOOR.

FANTASY KNOCKED
I THOUGHT IT ROCKED
TILL IT PUKED AND PASSED OUT ON MY FLOOR.
sunlight

Postby Ranman99 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:34 pm

Hey I did not think that was all over the place seemd to zero in pretty well on the heart of this matter :P Namaste!!!
Ranman99

Postby sunlight » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:32 pm

Oh! And namaste to you, honorable Ranman! :D

I have not been greeted with such beauty in a long time. Thank you. :wink:
sunlight

Postby Ranman99 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:47 pm

Oh your very welcome. If I can keep it going like that for one whole day then I will know I am making progress. All the best for the New Year.

I have not felt this optimisitc in oh about 33 years. Still have some fears but the solutions are at hand. Or should I say at heart :oops: :oops: :P :P .

Enjoy!!
Ranman99

Postby RichC » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:26 pm

What's your definition of reality?
Good question.
I look at it this way:

Something I am incapable of seeing.
Something I can never experience.

Here is why I say this.
Since I can only see and experience life through my eyes.
That experience will always be twisted by my past life and experiences.
As some examples...
I see a bully; whether it be a kid or an adult as a threat to me personally regardless of whom they are bullying.
Why? Because of my past. I feel the others anxiety because I have experienced it first hand and it transfers.
I read some internet slander, and get mad because I have experienced it.
I get cutoff in traffic or see someone else get cutoff by some cellphoner that cant drive or turn with one hand, and I get angry.
The list goes on and on.

The reality of it is that I get angry at the bully and internet clowns for no reason.
The bully is not bullying me. Or the internet clown writes nonsense nobody is reading anyway or even remotely buys into.
The cellphoner usually realizes they are being a moron, and I am sure feels for at least a moment they wronged someone.

But I cannot see that.
Because I can only see through my eyes.
Distorted and twisted by my past.
What is the definition of reality?
Dont ask me.
I have never experienced it.

Good Subject Dallas.
RichC

Previous

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery