- The 12 Steps

The 12 Steps

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Postby Dallas » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:11 am

Hey Samantha! Thank you for showing up on the forum and posting today! I've missed your messages! Nice to hear from you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Dallas » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks Keith!
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:08 pm

Good thread. The second time I worked through all the 12 steps with a sponsor I did it in about 3 months.

That is after a 16 month run with the boosh after the previous time I had taken the 12 steps with a sponsor and after 18 years of bouncing around AA like a circus clown.

All I can say is I did have the gift of desperation at that point and though I still struggled with the kind direction of my former US MARINE sponsor for a few weeks I surrendred to the idea that if my sponsor says something I don't agree with I will simply state "I don't believe this yet" and get going on it. And then usually believe it later but still have some of my own opinions 8)

It did work and in the end I was then able to be of some service to others and to keep practicing all of the suggestions on a daily basis.

For me though during steps one to three I realised I had to be completely willing to shut all the doors to plan B and to realise for myself how cunningly I could take an easier softer way.

The one that I actually just completed some 19 months later was my original ammends list. I did a bunch before moving on to step 10 and left some for later that I just had to do face to face and would not be able to get to right away. Now of course there are new ones for the list or still the ones that would not respond to me in any way but the biggies that were top of mind are done.

Now I am also involved in a mens step work shop that meets once a quarter, weekly step meetings and about to commence another round of face to face 1 to 12 work with my sponsor.

Today of course it is a pleasure to try it on. Still embarrasing from time to time but so much easier than where I was :oops:

Ciao,
Ranman99

Postby junebug » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:23 pm

thank you!
junebug

Postby Dallas » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:39 pm

No. There's no substitute for any of the Steps -- not even 10, 11, or six. If they're not fitting for you to take all of them it's better to search for a different solution.

Best wishes,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Ranman99 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:50 pm

My sponsor used to say if you don't want to do it don't!! You could always drink.

But he was a bit of a pr*&k. Saved my but really :? :?

Oh well. The experience is that it does work I fought it for many years. Had to loose a lot more before I became willing and that is the brutal truth 8) .

It's gonna be a great day :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ranman99

Postby GeoffS » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:17 pm

I know a man who wouldn't take steps 6, 10, 11, 12.

He stayed sober for a few months. He didn't like it much.

After another 2 and half years of drinking, he found a sponsor and was helped through the steps, in order, all of them.

Because of that I AM sober today, and liking it!!
GeoffS

Postby Ranman99 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:25 pm

Dang funny that isn't it.

In contemplation I never had much trouble with step 1 each time coming back in. I mean with all the fire and smoke from my butttt that one was a no brainer :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I also like it better this way. :P :P :P :oops: :P :P :P
Ranman99

Postby Toast » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:05 pm

My sponsors definition of the first 3 Steps.

Step 1. You've screwed up big time.

Step 2. It can be fixed.

Step 3. BUT NOT BY YOU! :lol:
Toast

Postby Ranman99 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:53 pm

I like it. Will use this this morning. Thanks!!! Happy N Y (not New York, New Year) 8)
Ranman99

PreviousNext

Return to 12 Steps