- Step 1,3 & 11

Step 1,3 & 11

12 Steps: Discussions related to the 12 Steps and using them as a treatment to recover from alcohol and drug addiction.

Step 1,3 & 11

Postby merckx » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:13 am

I'm still fairly new at the 12 steps compared to some people on here, so my "revelations" are a bit elementary. Yesterday it hit me how much Steps 1,3, & 11 are related to each other. Lately I've been slacking on my daily time in prayer and meditation and have I started to loose some of that concious contact with God. I could tell I was losing that contact because I started saying things & using language I wouldn't normally use.

So I took a step back and looked at myself and realized that I was skipping Step 11 pretty regularly. That got me thinking. If I am not seeking out my Higher Power everyday that means I am looking to myself. If I am looking to myself to make life work then I am not living like I am powerless. Also, if I am not seeking out my Higher Power everyday then I am beginning the process of taking my life and my will back. That will eventually lead back to taking a drink and that could lead to disaster.

Every morning I pray this simple prayer. "God let me know what it is that you want me to do today and provide me with the power to carry that will out. Help me be aware of you today so that I can see the areas of my life in which you are working and I can be aware of the areas of my life that need to be changed". I have found when I open my day with that simple prayer I am more likely to realize both the correction and the teaching/correction that God is offering me throughout the day.

I said that prayer this morning, for the first time in about a week or so, and I can already tell this difference in my attitude and actions.
merckx

Postby sunlight » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Don't under-rate yourself merckx!

Your revelations are from the heart, and they touch OUR hearts.
That is the language we hear best!

I was told that if my program seems stuck or stale, the problem is usually step 11. It's been true for me.

Last year I had been in a situation of such magnitude, that my fellow AA's and even my new sponsor could not see how I could stay sober through it. (My former sponsor had passed away :cry: She would not have wondered that.)
I was taking the steps again with my new sponsor, and when we got to the 5th step, she put me back on step one!!! :shock:
I didn't get it :? and talked to other women about it. Nearly everyone said, "Don't stand for it! If you're on step 5 don't let her take you back!"

But, in my meditation, I saw that this was what was necessary. And I understand now and am so grateful that this woman knew I needed another pounding on step one. :wink:

Step 3 enables me to make room for the grace I need to stay sober and be of service. And to not worry!

Aw gee, I'm rambling again.

Thank you for the reminder on these 3 steps, and for the prayer - simple and from the heart. :D
sunlight

Postby ccs » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:41 pm

WOW!!!!!! I SEE NOTHING elementary merckx you have have touched my heart and helped me tremendously Today

nice to meet you and thank you I need to read what you have to share
so PLease Keeep coming back :)

Luv-2-All your Sister-in -Sobriety Cess
ccs

Return to 12 Steps