- Service

Service

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Service

Postby sparklek » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Krystal, alcoholic. I am living abroad and went home for the holidays. One of the things that became quite clear about the peace I had before I left compared to my "bumpy" emotional time away is that my life was FULL of service back home. Commitments, speaking, panels, sponsoring, etc. Though there are meetings here, they are not easy to get to and having a commitment has not fit into the life I have right now. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can be more of service to AA abroad?
sparklek

Postby Dallas » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:44 am

Hello Krystal. Welcome to the site. I understand the problems we can experience when we move from a place like LA, to a place where the AA seems to be different or what there is of it -- it isn't much. I've gone through a similar chapter in my life -- even though it was still here in the USA.

Here is what I did:

1. I did my best to keep in touch w/ my AA friends in the city I got sober in -- including my sponsor. It was tough to get into the discipline of writing him a letter each week, and then calling him at a certain time on a certain date -- when previously, I could have just checked in w/ him at a meeting or to have lunch w/ him. That was the original reason that this website got started by in 1995 -- my long distance phone calls were running at least $800 a month! :lol: The problem then became -- most of my AA friends were not online our hadn't gone outside of AOL, so the site was opened to the public instead of being closed and private.

2. I spent twice as much time reading the Big Book from the front cover to the back cover, and trying my best to precisely follow the instructions in the book.

3. I also spent more time reading AA Comes of Age, and Dr. Bob & the Good Oldtimers -- to find out "how they did it" when there was no more than three members in AA, and then a dozen. Funny thing was: it was much similar to the exact same things I had been doing in Los Angeles, to stay sober! They didn't have the established structure and formats and resources or meetings -- so they primarily focused on finding another alcoholic to help them get sober and stay sober. And, they wrote a book about it, with the instructions for how they were doing it. (Chapter 7 & 11, in the Big Book).

4. So, I studied Chapter 7 & 11, and began doing exactly what they suggested to do. And, it worked!

5. I also go to as many Round-ups and Conventions as I can -- that are outside the area where I live. That's a tremendous help for me.

6. I've built a network of sober friends online, and also spend a lot of time online trying to help other alcoholics -- and I stay employed in my regular day job, too! :wink:

That's what worked for me. I hope you can find something in it that you can use or try and see how it works for you. Please feel encouraged to become a regular member here on the site and to contribute by participating in the sharing. You may be surprized to discover how many alkies you can help here!

Best wishes,

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sparklek » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks for the sugesstions Dallas. :D
sparklek

Postby Dallas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:20 pm

How are things going for you?
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sparklek » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:44 am

Well overall. I am still exhausted after flying back 3 days ago and adjusting to a 10 hour time change but I find myself reaching for the tools more and more. It is funny with me. I am always deligient and almost comfortable under pressure or stress. It is the peaeful times that I get jittery. lol. Thank God for AA that I get to have new awareness and opportunities for change!
sparklek

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober