- Cravings

Cravings

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Cravings

Postby PeaceJoy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:43 am

Yesterday was another one of those days I barely made it through sober. I have had so many financial problems that I found myself saying that I think my life is getting worse, not better! My sponsor helped me through it via text message and phone but it just ticks me off that I still want to turn to booze in times of stress. Normal people don't do this and that just reminds me that I am not normal. I had to pay a bill right next door to the liquor store and I was at such a crisis point that I just sat in my car and thought "I really want some. What would happen?" Then I drove home to more drama and I just thought 'this is too much. I can't do this. I might as well just drink." Again, I didn't drink but I'[m so frustrated that I still want to drink. Ugghhhh..... :( It's evening at this point so my husband is already zoned out on his sleeping pills so he might as well be asleep for all he's worth. So I journaled a lot before bed to put thoughts in order and I think it helped. At the very least I will be able to look back on it someday and say "Woah, I sure was messed up back in 2011!"

Today I'm better. I actually got some things resolved last night with the kids I think. So let's hope things improve.
This morning I'm going to do step work with my sponsor. Thanks for keeping me sober you guys!

Peacejoy~
PeaceJoy

Postby Pebbles » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:01 am

Just keep on keepin' on, Peacejoy. Remember that absolutely nothing can be made better by drinking again-absolutely nothing. I tell my sponsees that if they start thinking of drinking again/getting that craving, that they should rest their minds and put their muscles to work. Try to quit thinking, and scrub the kitchen floor or clean the bathroom. Then, if they can get through those few minutes of having "those thoughts" there's a very good chance that they won't pick up that drink. I wish you the best, and keep coming back!!!
Pebbles

Postby PeaceJoy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:43 am

Good advice Pebbles. I will keep that in mind. When I met with my sponsor she asked if I prayed during this difficult time. I realized that i hadn't prayed much that day. I wasn't keeping in constant contact with my Higher Power and that is significant, isn't it?
Yesterday was a great day. I got some much needed housework done and went to a speaker's meeting last night.

Peacejoy~
PeaceJoy

Postby Toast » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Ah ha, the old 'quit thinking' trick!

When i used to call my sponsor with a bundle of worries thats what he would often say 'John, you ever tried not thinking?'

Then i'd ask 'what am i supposed to think about when i'm not thinking?'
I'll keep it clean and not tell you his reply. :wink:

But he was right, i just couldnt keep it in the day and take my worries one day at a time or act on one problem at a time. Life was bad and i thought it would stay bad forever but thankfully it never did and everythings worked out pretty good. I also found out its not my job to fix the whole world, boy what a relief that was. My arms were sore from trying to stop the world from turning! :D

So its alright to be down but when we start acting down we're in big trouble!

Onwards n upwards! :lol:
Toast

Postby PhoenixRising » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi, PeaceJoy! I haven't posted on the forums very often, but your topic really caught my interest. Cravings. Wow, I really commend you for being right next to the liquor store and not going in. I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone in this...I feel those cravings, and the best thing I can do is open a Diet Pepsi and pretty much that's that. The physical activity is a good remedy, too. You're not alone, my friend.
PhoenixRising

Postby merckx » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:49 am

PeaceJoy wrote:When I met with my sponsor she asked if I prayed during this difficult time. I realized that i hadn't prayed much that day. I wasn't keeping in constant contact with my Higher Power and that is significant, isn't it?

That gets me everytime. When I am not in contact with my Higher Power I find myself doing and saying things that I don't need to be. I also find myself spending a lot of time focusing on my will and trying to find power within myself to carry that will out. That's a recipe for disaster!

For what it is worth, I don't think you sound messed up Peacejoy. You sound like a healthy person. When people get sick, healthy people call their doctor and get in recovery mode (rest, medicine, fluids). You realized you were sick so you called your sponsor, journaled your thoughts, and have set up a time to do your step work.

You could be really frustrated about the fact that you wanted to drink on Friday or you could take great satisfaction in knowing you made the choice to engage all that life had to offer on Friday by not drinking.

One more thing, I don't know that I have had a "craving" for a drink since all the alcohol got out of my system. When I was drinking I had, and still will have, an allergic reaction to alcohol that caused me to crave more alcohol. When all the alcohol left my system, I craved a solution. Problem is my incredible brain had decided that alcohol was a solution to my problems and would recall that solution everytime a problem came around.

One of the greatest blessings God has given me is a new solution for life. Great thing about new solutions is my brain stores them too. The more I choose my new solution, God as I understand Him, the less my brain recalls the old solution, alcohol.
merckx

cravings

Postby PeaceJoy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:04 am

merckx wrote:[ Great thing about new solutions is my brain stores them too. The more I choose my new solution, God as I understand Him, the less my brain recalls the old solution, alcohol.

Excellent point Merckx! The longer we do our new habits, the more ingrained they will be. This disease is so cunning, baffling and powerful. Someone at a meeting said alcohol is kind of like a pilot light. It stays lit, in the background, waiting. Add the spark (alcohol) and it flares up in full force again.

Peacejoy~
PeaceJoy

Postby Toast » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:19 pm

My thinking is the poison and the AA way of thinking is the antidote :lol:
Toast

Postby sunlight » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:10 pm

For me it was like merckx said: once I stopped putting alcohol in my body, the phenomenon of craving stopped.
So I knew that what I was experiencing as cravings were in my head. And my head was not screwed on too tightly! :lol:
I still had alcoholic thinking & I knew I had to re-educate my subconscious mind to think differently.
So I immersed my self in AA literature.
I carried around a pocket-size big book (still do!) and when Jose Cuervo started crooning to me I'd whip it out and start reading. It worked so good & kept me focused on what I wanted: sobriety.
Then I started on other AA reading - Living Sober, Came to Believe, Dr. Bob and the Good Oldtimers, AA Comes of Age..... and daily meditation books. It really helped me put AA into my blood and my brain.

I also carried a water bottle everywhere I went in case I got "thirsty". I used to joke at meetings that I HAD to keep coming back cuz I was always leaving my water jug behind.

Deep breathing is also helpful.
I imagine that I'm a leaf floating gently down the stream & that the stress or craving is passing, passing, passing away.

Exercise is great, as everyone has experienced, and so are hot bubble baths. They're not just for ladies! :wink:

And of course prayer is very powerful.
My favorite is, "Help. Thank You".

I love solutions. :D Thanks for yours.
sunlight

Postby Toast » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi,

If i take a drink i know whats around the corner, its the not knowing keeps me sober and keeps me coming back to AA. :lol:
Toast

Next

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober