- I was having trouble taking the NEXT right action...

I was having trouble taking the NEXT right action...

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

I was having trouble taking the NEXT right action...

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:54 pm

I was having trouble taking the NEXT right action -- So, I began taking the right NOW action. My life began to change for the better. By taking the right NOW action -- I get the opportunity to take a NEXT right action. The real Magic in action is to do the right thing now -- because it's the right thing to do right now!

One of the most serious problems in the life of a recovering person is: thinking.

We get obsessed in our thinking. And, the obsession with thinking prevents us from taking the right action now. So, we pause -- and take the right action for the moment -- because it is the right action for that moment. This keeps us out of the past and in the present.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby flying fiddler » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:25 pm

So true Dallas,
I find when I take that right NOW action, and don't allow my mind to start running with what that action means now, means in the future, it's profound effect on the world, etc that I can be truly in the moment. When I am truly in the moment, I experience inner peace. I would like to say that this happens all the time but that is not true. It's an on going process for me to try and remain in the NOW, taking that right NOW action, but when I do I'm much more centered.
When I am centered, grounded and and have peace i am able to have a moment of clarity, and when that happens, the next right action thought seems to avail itself. So simple yet so miraculous to for me.
Thanks for letting me share my thoughts
JD
flying fiddler

Postby sparklek » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:11 pm

Thanks to both of you for this. I needed to be reminded about my thinking. I can really get stuck and finding the next right action is hard when I am in an obsession. Today the next right action is obvious so I better get to it! Thanks for being here! I really need this site!
sparklek

First Things First

Postby Larry H. » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:33 am

Today's thought from Hazelden is:

First Things First - Order

Busy people often declare, with some exasperation, that they cannot do everything at once. People with emotional problems, a group that includes many alcoholics, often feel that they are trying to do everything at once. Quite often, this pressure means that we waste our time fretting about all the things facing us, becoming totally ineffective as a result.

The simple slogan "First things first" shows us how to set priorities in an orderly way. In every situation or problem, there is always one step we can take that is more important than the others. Following that, we find a step of second importance, another of third importance, and so on. Sometimes, a certain action comes first simply because other things depend on it.

By using "First things first" as a guiding principle in our lives, we can live in an orderly, disciplined manner. If we have work to do today, we can plan to do the most important things first. If we have to reduce our activities, we can decide which activities we ought to retain. Having made these decisions, we can be at peace about our choices. We cannot do everything at once and we need not feel guilty about it.

Knowing that order is Heaven's first law, I'll do things today in an orderly manner.
Larry H.

Postby Dallas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks Larry. That took me back to memories of when I first got sober. I put one of those "First Things First" bumper stickers on the dash of my car, and put them all over my apartment, and made post it notes with "First Things First" on them -- so that I'd constantly be seeing "First Things First."

I was under so much pressure and in so much fog -- that to think about anything other than "what's important RIGHT NOW" would throw me into a spin.

I still use it today! However, I got a little better, so now I don't have to have the bumper sticker sticking on the dash of my car! :lol: But, I still have it posted places and I rely on it. Sometimes, when I'm doodling w/ a paper & pen, I look down and discover I've been doodling "First Things First!" :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sparklek » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:36 pm

When things get hectic, as they have recently. I found myself stopping to think, "First Things First." Amazingly I found myself cooking and cleaning and caring for myself first and then helping others. That was an awesome experience.
sparklek

Postby sunlight » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:40 pm

So glad to hear from you! :D And that you're taking care of yourself.

We've all been concerned about you. What a relief to see you here.

Keep coming back to us. :wink:
sunlight

Postby sparklek » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks. It is nice to be seen and not viewed :)
sparklek

Postby merckx » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:52 am

I talked to one of my friends yesterday and he made the statement, "I may not know what the next right thing is, but I certainly know the difference between right and wrong. With God on my side, if I choose to not to make the next wrong choice, even when I don't know what the right choice is, I'll end up okay."

I thought that was a pretty good insight.
merckx

Confused

Postby Serenity Seeker » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:23 pm

How do I know what the NOW action is in early sobriety? What came to mind is turning it over to my hp and calling my sponsor?

Although through my sponsor is helping to teach me to think of what needs done first. I tend to get overwhelmed with all these things I want and have and need to get done. Then like it was mentioned I get very rude and nothing accomplished. I end up in overwhelming self pity due to my issues that I have caused.

It helps me every morning to read pages 86-88 as directed from sponsor. It helps me to think about the 24 hours ahead, think of the most important plans for the day, ask God for direction.

I guess I am practicing now actions?
Serenity Seeker

Next

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery