- Thankful Newcomer

Thankful Newcomer

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Thankful Newcomer

Postby gr8ful_one » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:39 pm

Hello. I am a newby, to this site and to sobriety. I was first introduced to AA almost 20 years ago, but my main desire at that point was to relieve the trouble in my life, not so much to stop drinking. All I wanted was to keep my job this time, keep my daughter, and get people off my back. I wanted to learn how to be "normal", not sober. I was dry for 6 months at the most, then got tired of struggling and went back out to drink for another 17 years or so.

God led me back to AA a couple of months ago when I really wanted nothing to do with it. Now I can't imagine my life without the hope that I have found there. It is totally different this time, and I have such a desire for sobriety and the promises I have been told that working the program will bring. I now have 5 weeks of sobriety, and I am so thankful.

I have been attending frequent meetings and I have an awesome sponsor. The past 3 days, however, I have been "iced in" and have not been able to get out to a meeting. I can't believe the difference it makes going without a meeting. Guess that's why I decided to check out some online resources and found this site. Just kind of "lost" this evening. But still very grateful to be sober. :)

Kind of rambling here...thanks for letting me share!
gr8ful_one

Postby Bobby D » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:25 am

Congratulations on the 5 weeks and Welcome.. this is an awesome site..lots of good advice from people who have been there!

Thanks for sharing....I understand...Early on I hit meetings every day I could.. and when I didn't ... I was anxious...weekends were hard for me becuase it was like I had too much time on my hands and I didn't know how to fill that without drinking... years of planning your life around alcohol is a hard habit to break.. ..It gets easier though

God Bless

Bob
Bobby D

Postby merckx » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:53 am

Glad you are here man! Hopefully the sun comes out soon and you get de-iced.

It is funny how we look at sobriety when we are not ready for it. I remember thinking that being sober would be a miserable way to live. It wasn't until alcohol made my life miserable that I decided sobriety might not be so bad. Now I can't imagine going back to the way life use to be!
merckx

Postby Toast » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Welcome aboard Gr8ful-one.

Last December we were snowed in for 3 weeks, never knew how much i missed meetings till i managed to get back to one! :lol:

As well as this site i had to rely on all the old AA CD's i'd shoved up in the attic. Didnt do me no harm and i think i learned more listening to them 2nd time round. :shock:

Glad to have you around, as my sponsors tells me its better to be in here pretending your an alcoholic than out there pretending your not! :P

God bless :D
Toast

Postby gr8ful_one » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:30 am

Thank you all! I appreciate your welcome and responses! I actually made it to a meeting last night...like getting a dose of much-needed medicine when you have been out of it. :) Amazing how the people who I didn't want anything to do with have become the people I'm most comfortable being around...

Have a blessed day!
gr8ful_one

Postby Toast » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:09 am

Hi, can go alone with that about not fitting in. :(

Used to think it was becuase i was a rebel, then i realised it was because i was a misfit, i just didnt have the social skills to fit in with the rest of the world so i would get drunk and go gatecrash someones life! :shock:

Boy am i glad those days are over :P
Toast

Postby Dallas » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:57 pm

Welcome to the site! Wishing you the best!
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby junebug » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:22 am

this site is great for being iced in.........and this is when I really need to have an arsenal of phone numbers. Not only do I call my sponsor but my siblings in AA! They are great! Try that as well! You've GOT 5 WEEKS!
That 's more than the guy who has one week, you can help him!!!!!!!!!!!
junebug

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober