22%
no
67%
not sure
11%

Total votes : 9

I am not what I do-Seperating My Job from My Identity

Postby sparklek » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:35 pm

I just listened to an amazing speaker tape of Perry Ross talking about AA and the confusion we often have about who we are versus what we do for a living. This really struck me as I find myself displaced at this moment from my career. Does anyone have any experience, stength and hope to share on this topic?
sparklek

Postby Bensober » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:20 pm

Absolutely Krystal,
For me to start with…it’s important for you to enjoy your down time. Chances are (and I don’t know your specific skill sets) but you will be back to work probably quicker than needed. And if you think about it…especially if this is a concern for you.

Roles that I fell into in the past both in one of the fields I’m currently in and the fields prior to the beginning of my recovery were ego driven, grandiose, “leadershipâ€
Bensober

Postby sunlight » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:03 pm

Don't think I've ever identified what I do for a living with who I am, because who I am is a radiant being of light (sunlight! duh! ), and no job can contain that! :lol:

However

I have a new Employer now, and He has given me certain talents and abilities so that I may be a useful, contributing member of this planet. If I employ these gifts to further His work, I find that I'm effective in what I do and I enjoy myself almost obscenely!!! :lol:

What I do expresses who I am.

To thine own self be true. :wink:
Last edited by sunlight on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunlight

Postby Dallas » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:01 pm

I'll try to keep it simple... :lol:

No. What you do and what you have done -- and what you are doing now -- do not identify you. You are not what you do and you are not what you have done. :wink:

A simple question to explain this is:

Changing your clothes -- is something I assume that you do. :lol:

1. 'Who' were you and what were you -- before you changed your clothes?
2. 'Who' are you and what are you -- with the clothes that you now have on? (Assuming you have clothes on). :lol:
3. Now... take your clothes off and get naked... and now that you are naked, ask yourself 'if' who you are and what you are -- is the same -- as who you were and what you were -- before you got naked?
4. Now... get dressed again -- but, get dressed in different clothes than the one's you took off. And, ask yourself -- "is who and what I am now, with these clothes on -- the same as 'who and what' I was when I was naked? And, ask...
5. Is 'who I am' and 'what I am' the same -- or different -- in these clothes that I now have on -- or am I someone else, and something else, because I changed clothes?

You need to answer those questions to prepare yourself for the final question -- which is the 'defining' question that will answer your original question:

The question is: "who were you -- and what were you" -- WHILE -- you were changing clothes? Is 'who you are -- and what you are' while you were changing your clothes -- different -- than who and what you are now that you're no longer changing clothes? :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sparklek » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Great reading this forum guys! Thanks a lot. I still have a lot of old ideas and I am grateful for this process and people like you all to help me through my changes. :)
sparklek

Postby RichC » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:01 pm

For me I would say I defined my career.
I enjoy my career and have changed fields a few times in my 32 years of actual "Career".
It has been in the aviation field, but my job type has changed slightly.
But I always wanted this type of work since I was a child.
I have more progressed through the changes from a learning to doing to teaching progression.
I guess it is the way you look at it whether you defined or were defined by...
I would suggest that you get into something you really want when you are young and can make those changes more easily.
You can get locked in before you know it.
RichC

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery