- Hello..Need help

Hello..Need help

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

Hello..Need help

Postby Conbryant » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Hello. I just went to my first AA meeting. I always knew I was an acholic. But I wasn't hurting no one but me. Till Valentines day. Everything was going good, until I had a black out. The last thing I remember is getting seated at the resturant, then waking up in a cop car with bandages on my wrist and them taking me to a rescue center. What have I become?
Well I went to my first meeting today and all I heard was others story. I understand what they said and I have been were they have. But when I wanted to tell my story I couldn't.
Someone please tell me how to quit, how can I not want a drink.I'm scared
Conbryant

Postby lotusinbloom » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:27 pm

I am new to recovery. But this is what I suggest: go to as many meetings as possible, buy a Big Book and start reading and find a sponsor who will show you how to practice the steps and work the program. I've been told that in the beginning it's best not to share but to LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN. Get some phone numbers. Raise your hand and tell the meeting you need a sponsor ASAP.

I am still new but working this program, starting the steps with my sponsor, constant contact with my sponsor, reading the literature and praying every day has given me hope and I felt hopeless for many, many years. Someone said at a meeting last night "desperation always precedes willingness".....

Be honest with yourself. I am finding some peace already but I still have a loooong way to go. I cannot go back to that horrible, lonely place I was in for so long. I finally have HOPE and FAITH!
lotusinbloom

Postby ccs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:24 pm

hey Conbryant welcome to the site !!!! and just know this you don't ever have to drink again !!! all you have to do is follow the suggestions in the big book ( the book of Alcoholics anonymous) please also remember that you MUST be Honest open and willing !!! I know in some meetings they don't let the newcomer share at first but don't be discouraged by that it really is good for you to just listen at first

also in allot of meetings at the beginning they will ask if anyone is new or at their first meeting I suggest you raise your hand and introduce yourself then , you said you heard a lot of others stories so after the meeting go over to one that you related to and introduced yourself ask that person how they do it they will be more than Happy to talk to you

get a lot of phone numbers and try to surround yourself with AA folks

stick with the old-timers people that have been around a while men if your male
and women if your female then maybe find a few newcomers that you relate to and hang and grow with them build yourself a network of sober folk it is the best safety net in the world !!!

get a sponsor and get in to the steps ASAP!!!! the sooner you do the better you will feel :D :D

and keep coming back here we all are here for you as well you will find allot of good healthy info in the pages here and you will meet a lot of wonderful people that don't want anything from you except to see you succeed people who only care about helping you and in the process helping themselves

YOU ARE NOT ALONE !! WE are here for you
Best wishes and I look forward to hearing more from you and getting to know another brother or sister :D in sobriety

Luv-2-All cess

Lotus great post :wink: :wink: thanks to both of you for helping me today :wink:
ccs

Postby Bensober » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Welcome Conbryant,
Yes we all need help One Day At A Time to not drink especially just comin in. It’s ongoing Conbryant! The I that is really we must follow a different way than our own. That’s a simple concept but easier said than done. The main thing for us if we don’t want to drink is to just do what is suggested. That also means to do what you told. Success is dependent on it. All the suggestions on this post if you follow will help you to not drink. You first have to put the [b]“plug in the jugâ€
Bensober

Postby Dallas » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:32 pm

When I went to my first AA meeting -- I had no idea I was alcoholic. I only knew that something was wrong with me -- and I couldn't stop drinking long enough to do something about it! :lol:

I went through a few of those experiences of waking up or going to sleep w/ handcuffs on -- but, I didn't figure that had anything to do w/ my drinking because I had woken up and went to sleep w/ handcuffs on -- while not drinking, too! :lol: And... I definitely had it figured out that my alcoholism wasn't determined because of handcuffs. I didn't put the cuffs on! So, it must have been the cop's problem!

I had a few failed romances, too. Most of them were successful romances before they were failed romances. Well... in many of them... I was drinking! But, then again... even in sobriety... I've had some successful and failed romances... so, evidently, that has nothing to do w/ my drinking or alcoholism. :lol:

So, the only thing I can figure out is: my alcoholism and my drinking must have something to do w/ drinking. :lol:

Welcome to the site! I hope you like it, that you find something interesting here, and that you have fun while you're here!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sparklek » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Yes, meetings were a great place for me to start. Those people started showing me the way and my life changed. As a result of following good instructions like getting a sponsor and applying the Steps, my obsession for alcohol has been expelled one day at a time. Now I get to work on all the other stuff in my life with the help of my Higher Power and the support of the program. Don't miss the miracle of you! :)
sparklek

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery