- Journaling

Journaling

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Journaling

Postby PeaceJoy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:56 pm

I'm interested in hearing if others journal. It has been suggested by my sponsor so I started doing it and I think it will be a helpful tool. I wish I had started on day 1 and could look back and see how nuts I was because I know I'm nuts now, 7 months later! LOL
PeaceJoy

Postby Dallas » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:09 pm

I do journaling along with my regular main Step 10 for the day. I practice Step 10 all through the day -- but at the end of the day I do a main Step 10 -- where I go through the instructions in the BB for Step 10, which has a lot more detail on it, and it becomes like a journal.

It helps a lot! I can't write enough about it! In a way, it's like having a written record of successes & failures so that I can refer to it on days where I might feel "Oh man! My life sucks!" :lol: I look into my 10th Step Jounal and quickly realize that I'm wrong about it! My life doesn't suck -- I have all kinds of good stuff always going on and I was just having a sucky moment or event! :lol:

It also helps, when a day, or few days, or few months later -- I look back at that sucky moment or sucky event and discover that it was the catalyst for something great to show up in my life -- that without that "bad time" I would have never had the good time that it produced!

Interesting timing of your post! I woke up from a dream today (I've been pretty sick the last two days and it was best to stay in bed today) -- and the entire dream was about many of the failures in my life that turned out to be my greatest successes and greatest assets in life!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby junebug » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:29 pm

I am going to try journaling. Before this life, I hated writing. I have kept playing that tape in my head (very dangerous :!: ) and like many things I have decided to see if I really like it or not. Today, I was overcome with a weird feeling I couldn't recognize: contentment. (step 9 promises, BB) VERY COOL!
junebug

Postby Dallas » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:27 pm

I've done that, too, Junebug! :lol:

I remember once looking in the mirror wondering "Am I having a spiritual experience or something???" :shock: -- :lol: :lol:
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby Then, and only then » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:51 pm

:(
I used to journal when I drank. The whole notebook started the same way,
'I drank again...'. After I got sober, I tore off the pages, and decided not to write any. I would just share at the meeting, I thought.

I have a friend, who has a Bolg. After I started reading her Bolg, I saw others. During my Blogging, I came across this unknown lady with 3 sick children. She had pictures, stories, paintings, poem... I thought she turned her struggle into celebration! How cool is that? If she can do it, I can do it. So I created a blog.

I write my journal on my blog. My sponsors and handful of alks only has the address. You can access anywhere, anytime( iPhone). When the meeting go to the south, I write my Bolg.

My journal does not start with, I drank again, anymore. And my close friends know exactly how twisted I am. :D
Then, and only then

journaling

Postby junebug » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:23 am

I reread my journal wondering what I would find. It was all about drinking-I had NO idea (now that I'm 201 days sober) how much I wrote about it. Wow........
junebug

Postby PeaceJoy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:39 am

I have slacked on my journaling. I am glad this post has revived so it sparks an interest again. Will journal today!

Peacejoy~
PeaceJoy

Postby annv » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:08 am

I love writing in my journal. In my experience it has been very helpful. I'm not always as consistent about it as I would like, but there is just nothing like getting your thoughts and feelings down on paper, and not filtering anything out. Just get it out there, you can decide later what you want to do with it. I always feel such relief and peace when I do take the time to write.
annv

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober