- New to sobriety, and forum

New to sobriety, and forum

Introduce yourself or read introductions from others!

New to sobriety, and forum

Postby SlushPea » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:46 am

Hi y'all. I've poked around step12 a bit and I'm really impressed with the open arms and honesty. I reached 6 months on April 1 this month. Something I never thought possible. Every hundreds of times I tried to stop drinking I couldn't make it past 4 days without going crazy. I finally joined AA and it has made the difference. Partly because of folks like yourselves, mostly because the program includes my higher power.
I'm grateful to be here. I'm also on "In The Rooms" with the same user name. But so far the forums here seem to be a better fit for me.
Thanks to all for making this a safe, friendly, caring place to be with tons of info and support. I'm looking forward to getting to know you!
SlushPea

Postby Dallas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:40 am

Welcome to the site SlushPea! I really love that name you picked! :lol:
It's great to have you here and I look forward to you sharing your experience, strength & hope w/ us! And, congrats on your six months! That is a BIG deal -- and alcoholic that doesn't think it's a big deal should TRY staying sober for six months! :wink:

I failed at my first attempt to get six months... I celebrated two weeks early! :lol: Then, I tried and tried and tried and tried again over and over and over... and couldn't even get more than a day. I couldn't even make it through a meeting sober! And, that was what convinced me that I was a REAL alcoholic!

When I finally did get another chance at sobriety -- my first six months was the most difficult, horrible and impossible six months of my entire life! I was literally ripping handfuls of hair out of my head -- trying not to drink! When it got so bad that I was totally positive that SOBRIETY was going to kill me... luckily, I discovered what it meant to TAKE the 12 Steps instead of practice them! And, that made the difference for me!

That has allowed me to stay sober for the last 8,910 days in a row! And, I am soooooo grateful for it! I know, without a doubt, that there is another drunk in me -- if I don't keep doing what I'm doing to stay sober. And, I also know without a doubt -- that I just couldn't survive trying to get sober again! I'd never make it!

So, an especially BIG congrats to you, a HUGE hug, and a GIGANTIC thank you -- for being here -- because that helps me to stay sober! And I appreciate you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Thanks for the warm Welcome

Postby SlushPea » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Dallas...wow, 8910 days? Like 24 YEARS?! egads! The first four months were the hardest for me. But suddenly one morning (January 25, 2010) I went out to my kitchen, opened a cupboard (where I used to hide (so I thot) my alcohol) I felt a total UN-desire to ever drink again. I finally felt at peace; I no longer wanted to tear my hair out. I've been thinking that maybe my sobriety date ought to be Jan 25, 2011 instead of Oct 1, 2010. In any event, I'm glad to be here. And, any day without drinking is a GREAT day!
SlushPea

Postby Dallas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:21 pm

I heartily agree -- that ANY sober day is better than a drinking day! :wink:

I remember when I was newly sober -- that when I heard someone say something like that -- I just wanted to puke on them! :lol:

I got some immediate relief as soon as I took the 12 Steps -- but I sure didn't experience the peace and comfort -- while sober -- for a while. Perhaps -- it was because I needed to learn my First Step lesson well so that it would remind me that I'm only one drink away from a drunk that I won't be able to control -- IF -- I stop doing what I'm doing that keeps me sober.

Best wishes to you!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Alcoholics and addicts in Recovery