- Your own conception of God

Your own conception of God

Experiences along the way that bring us closer to our Higher Power

Postby Dallas » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading it.
Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby cue » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:44 am

I suppose like a lot of others my conception of a hp has changed over time in the fellowship as I practice meditation and prayer. My sponsor had me create a picture of my own personal hp and I came up with a mishmash of spiritual beliefs that left me with more questions than answers regarding different faiths and gods. So much for keeping it simple :roll: In the end he suggested that I go with the hp that was the boss of them all, whoever I thought that was.
He also suggested that I go talk with a priest as I had old prejudices against organised religion that was blocking me. That really helped me move on to the third step.
I always go back to my experience though. The night I agreed to go for help to AA, I had an experience while being driven to the meeting. I looked out the window of the car and up at the stars in the night sky. Despite the pain and turmoil that I was in, I suddenly realised that the stars were exactly in the right place and that everything was as it should be. I know nothing about stars, theology or psychology but I felt peace flow in like a great wave and later I would read what happened to Bill in the hospital and recognise the same feeling of a cool clear wind blowing through me. I knew, in that moment, that everything was going to be alright, that I was just part of a great whole.
That was a nice experience but it wasn't enough. I still had an alcoholic mind and I needed the steps to help me change.
cue

Postby Dallas » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks Cue. I appreciated reading your sharing. I really enjoy reading about others experience of God or HP. It helps me and it reassures me that I'm not alone. Kind of makes me feel that I'm not so abnormal after all. :lol:

Over the years, and sometimes days, hours or minutes -- my conceptions change. I think that's good for me. As soon as I think I got God figured out -- I realize how little I know about it. And, I realized that my thoughts about God are then more of on a theory plane rather than a relationship one.

If my head can figure out God and know all there is to know about God, and it can't even know all that there is about me... I'm in trouble. :lol:

Thanks again for sharing. You've helped me once again.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

My HP

Postby Then, and only then » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:43 pm

He is God, the Jewish Carpenter. I believe in Bible, but I do not believe the book is entirely the words of God. As everything else in life, the sons of Adam tarnish and misinterpret the words. I do not believe in church completely as it is also run by the sons. However, the principles and His love maintains.

I do not believe in Hell, the punishment and rewards. I would like to think the next life is as in the Book of Mary. We all go home, whether we are a believer or not, a born-again or not, a saint or not. Because it is home.

Pain in this life is admission to his kingdom in this life. I look at pain as my companion. Since I can never avoid it, run away from it and overcome it, I accept it as a vital part of my life. It must be. Without it, I do not need the Carpenter.

I believe the Carpenter does not micro manage. And the most of times, whatever happens in this life dies not matter. Life is a day at the park. It does not matter what we do. We pay for our consequences as we spend our day. We can drink on a bench all day, we can plant a tree or we can build a rose garden. Inevitably, at the end of the day, we all go home alone. Spouses, friends, children or parents, we all go home alone with God.

12 and 12 asks, ' what He would have us to be?' I believe the statement is so true. He is concerned with our state of mind. Whether we become a missionary or robber, it does not matter to Him. How often we commit sinful act in the name of Him? Why does He let it? Because it does not matter. Like it or not, realize it or not, we pay. We pay for all of our deeds.
Then, and only then

Postby Then, and only then » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:41 pm

We pay in this life. I believe our 'sin' hurt not only others, but also us. As in most of rebellious act, sins are simply the stupid act, yet I can not stop. Self-knowledge avail us not only nothing, but hurt us deeper and push us further. Just like the shot we took after we swore we would stop drinking. We always drank more that night.

How much am I willing to pay? Why do I think I can get away with it?sometimes, I think I am so stupid and so stubborn. On my own, my best was to drink. Hopeless, to the core. I need, and I desire Him. Yet m actions are not.
Then, and only then

Previous

Return to Sobriety and Moments of Clarity