- Social Media and Traditions

Social Media and Traditions

Discussion related to the 12 Traditions

Social Media and Traditions

Postby cue » Wed May 04, 2011 6:59 am

I got a problem and I'm hoping someone here may be able to share some experience. I'm thinking of organising a picnic for Founders Day here. I would like to tell all my AA friends about it and the quickest way that I can do that is by creating a Facebook group for the event and sending out a message to all.
However, I feel uncomfortable about adding everyone to the mailing as it means that their membership will be visible to people that they may not know. They are all members but I still do not feel right about it as I believe that it is up to the members themselves to reveal their own membership to each other. I do not have that right.
For all I know, these people could be related, work together etc and may already have their own reasons for protecting their anonymity. It's a bit of a bind.
The alternative is to send out individual invites to the event, but that kinda defeats the purpose of social media. Also, I'm lazy :lol:
Any suggestions or experiences with social media and traditions?
cue

Postby Dallas » Wed May 04, 2011 9:30 am

Yep. That can get real touchy. I know that personally, on FB, it really irritates me when people put me on any kind of mailing list.

The only way I see around it, if you're doing it on FB, is to send individual emails to those you know -- that might be interested. That is: if you're going to use social media to announce it.

If you want help to do it through this website I'll be happy to do what I can to help you.

I have some pages and groups that I've started on Facebook that also are reasonably popular, that people in recovery have subscribed to, and you could post an announcement on those, too. That might help a little bit.

The other way to do it would be to physically get out there and announce it in meetings.

Best wishes! Sounds fun! If it wasn't so far away -- and I could make it, I'd like to attend! :lol:

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby cue » Thu May 12, 2011 6:42 pm

In the end I posted announcements of the event to groups of members that I knew were known to each other. That way I didn't have to do individual postings. Seems to be working fine.
cue

Return to 12 Traditions Discussion