- First timer needs help

First timer needs help

Help for alcohol abuse addiction alcoholics who want to stay sober

Postby Dallas » Mon May 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Thanks for sharing Jim. And, welcome to the site.
Dallas
Site Admin

reply to first timer

Postby Needshelp » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:57 pm

I am in the same boat ... I need help and support. I'm too embarrassed to go to a meeting yet. Does this forum help?? :?:
Needshelp

Postby Dallas » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:41 pm

The forum, just like anything else is only a tool. Tools only work and only help when we use the tool. We take the tools that are laid out in front of us and use them to help ourselves and to help others. It's kind of like working on a broken motor of a car. The difference is ... none of us are mechanics and none of us work on each other and none of us work on the other guys car. We simply show someone else what we did to fix our problem and then it's up to them if they want to try what we did to fix their problem we can show them how we did it. There's a lot of talk about AA being a "support group." I don't believe that it is. We learn to be self-supporting and support ourselves with our efforts. By being self-supporting it helps others who are trying to help themselves to become self-supporting.

I wish I would have had this forum when I was newly sober. It would have helped me.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: reply to first timer

Postby GeoffS » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:52 am

Needshelp wrote:I am in the same boat ... I need help and support. I'm too embarrassed to go to a meeting yet. Does this forum help?? :?:

Hi there,

New people often mention that they are too embarrased to go to a meeting. Remember everyone else there is at a meeting of alcoholics anonymous. They probably felt a bit embarrased too.

They are alcoholics too, and have to help each other (and you) to stay sober themselves.

I was the last to find out that I was alcoholic, seems my friends and family already knew!!!! Who'd have thought?
GeoffS

Re: Taking the 12 Steps

Postby jakmak52 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Dallas wrote:First... before you do anything, including getting a sponsor -- get yourself a copy of the Big Book, "Alcoholics Anonymous"... Read it starting ON the front cover and don't skip a page... and read it all the way up to the end of page 103.

Dallas B.

Yep, 103.
jakmak52

Re: First timer needs help

Postby jakmak52 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:24 pm

SarahSue wrote:I am ready to begin the steps and looking for support. Can someone please share some steps for a first timer? Thank you.

I was nervous ( we all were) as an out house mouse my first couple of meetings and sat near the exit door just in case. I got a Big Book and they sent a newcomers package around the room with names of the male members of the group to use as "temporary" sponsors. I prayed a lot which helped me tremendously because I couldn't stop by myself. They told me to go to 90 meetings in 90 days (I objected to this since it wasn’t in the Big Book) but either was no relationship in the 1st year. They (older members) of the group said no major decisions in the first year as well. I listened to the members share to find a good sponsor who had what I wanted. I didn’t know what I would want other than be peaceful and somewhat happy without drinking. They told me what they have is in the Big Book with all the promises in the BB.
I found a sponsor that I knew from before I got sober this time that stressed the steps. He was just what I needed. We got on our knees and did steps 1,2,& 3 right off the bat and told me to start my 4th at once. Then we did my 5th step together. Right from there we kneeled and did steps 6th & 7. I got my 8th step from the 4th step inventory and went to town making amends (With my sponsor’s guidance). Today I work steps 10,11, & 12 and I’m available for newcomers, treasurer of my home group and try to help wherever I can. What a great life I have now. Thank God and the program of AA.

Good luck to you.

Jack
jakmak52

Postby Dallas » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:39 am

Thanks for sharing Jack! Your message is very refreshing. It lets me know that AA is still alive and well for those that are doing it through the Steps, just like you've done! Thanks for sharing!

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Re: Taking the 12 Steps

Postby Camel » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:41 am

jakmak52 wrote:
Dallas wrote:First... before you do anything, including getting a sponsor -- get yourself a copy of the Big Book, "Alcoholics Anonymous"... Read it starting ON the front cover and don't skip a page... and read it all the way up to the end of page 103.

Dallas B.

Another successful approach would be to start with "The Doctor's Opinion", and continue through the first 164 pages, and then page 181. I was instructed to read this through 10 times. Some of us are sicker than others.
Camel

New to this site

Postby afastr6 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi, my name is Paul. I recently found this site and love it. I've been to about 10 meetings and really liked them. I stopped going and now i'm ready to give this another shot. A lot of what i've read so far really stuck out and related to me. However, one thing in particular and that was somebody mentioning how, "every time they start getting healthy again, they forget how unmanageable there life was and revert back to square one".. Thats exactly what happens with me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
,Paul
afastr6

Postby Dallas » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Welcome to the site Paul. Thanks for sharing and introducing yourself. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Help for alcoholics who want to stay sober