- AA and The paradox of surrender

AA and The paradox of surrender

Discussions related to 12 Step Recovery and Treatment

AA and The paradox of surrender

Postby Dallas » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:30 pm

The paradox of surrender: We can have a life greater than we ever imagined, in a relatively short period of time -- if we do. And, we face a slow, often painful and miserable demise -- if we don't.

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby hosterman1975 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:11 pm

Surrender is definitely on the hardest things for drunks like me to do, but there is a woman in my group that always says that " surrender isn't losing the battle, surrender just means you are moving over to the winning side"
:D :D :D
hosterman1975

Postby Then, and only then » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:20 pm

I don't think I can truly let go. I want to, but I always find myself holding onto some. Only time I realize I was holding on is only when I am in pain.

Recently, I found I am holding onto my biggest fear, taking a drink again. I knew He is the only thing standing between my life and the next drink. Yet, I wanted to manage. My Alky mind rise above the level of defiance, and reach the level of stupidity.

True freedom from the bondage is letting our ultimate fear go. Maybe then, I would take the first step on that arch. I want to walk a free man. God is. God is. Mercy me, my Lord. For I am stupid and sturburn.
Then, and only then

Postby Dallas » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:18 pm

I knew He is the only thing standing between my life and the next drink.

You may find it helpful to read pages 58-64, in the Big Book.

I'd suggest finding more than "He" to be standing between Life and the next drink.

"He" can become an imaginary figure to us, without persistent "works". Step-works, and particularly Step-12-Works. Faith without works is dead -- that's why action and more action are always mandatory and not suggestive, in regards to recovery and sobriety.

Best wishes,

Dallas B.
Dallas
Site Admin

Postby sunlight » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:11 pm

When I am in a state of defiance, meaning no surrender to what I know is God's will for me, I just create confusion and chaos.

I really hate being in that place. No fun at all, and absolutely no peace.

So I turn to Him for guidance and it all flows so much sweeter and easier. It takes an act of will, but it's the proper use of the will.

When I do it, I like it!
sunlight

Return to 12 Step Treatment and Recovery