- Not Cured

Not Cured

Alcoholics and Addicts sharing their personal recovery story with us to help others who want to recover.

Not Cured

Postby Camel » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:52 pm

I have been Blessed with many years of sobriety. My refusal to follow the directions has resulted in 5 relapses, over the last 29 years. The last one started in 2007, and ended on June 14, 2010. Each one was worse than the one before. I experienced every single horror our Literature speaks of. If those relapses are what it took for God to get my attention, then that's what it took. Humiliation finally humbled me. I know what it's like to be to sick to die. I never have to be that sick again, by God's Grace, as long as I follow the directions laid out in the BB. I am Blessed indeed, to have picked myself up, by God's Grace, and crawled back to AA. I believe with everything that's in me, that we all are amongst the ranks of the chosen few. Else, how could those of us that relapse live to come back? Obviously, God has something more for us to do. I have "recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body." I am not cured of alcoholism. To God goes the credit for my sobriety.
Camel

Postby tim-one » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:09 am

Thank you, Camel. I am dubiously engouraged by stories of relapse told by those who come back. There IS experience, strength, and hope for us in there though it may not seem so to the relapser.

I'm encouraged that The Program works as long as I work it and that I'm doing the right thing.

I have come to agree with you that there's a point to not being cured. It's always there when we stop cooperating with God through The Program. When we choose to cooperate, we do well. When we choose not to, the disease is eager to take advantage of it.

Contiuous cooperation = continued remission. Not cure.

Thank you for coming back and drumming that into my thick skull AGAIN. I wish it wasn't at the expense of others. But I can't hear it enough.

Bless your heart. God bless us, every one.
tim-one

Postby Dallas » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:02 am

It would be a great help to others, if those in meetings or online, who say "I'm a recovered alcoholic" would add to it: "I'm a recovered -- but not cured -- alcoholic."
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Addiction Recovery Stories