- What's Wrong With Sober-Friends BBQ's, etc.?

What's Wrong With Sober-Friends BBQ's, etc.?

Alcoholics and Addicts sharing their personal recovery story with us to help others who want to recover.

What's Wrong With Sober-Friends BBQ's, etc.?

Postby chinup » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:54 pm

My closest friend won't hang out with me anymore. I've been in A.A. and went to rehab, and hung out with her for a year not drinking with her the first time she got sober, but now she only does things with A.A. people. So why, please tell me why, one cannot be either invited to these get-togethers, or my friend doesn't want to have sober fun days with her other friends outside of A.A.? I'm fed up and can't possibly do anything else to let her know how proud I am of her. From another forum I wrote on, it sounds to me like I've lost my best friend, and that's just "the way it is." Please someone tell me this isn't true.
chinup

Re: What's Wrong With Sober-Friends BBQ's, etc.?

Postby Larry H. » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:11 am

chinup wrote:My closest friend won't hang out with me anymore. I've been in A.A. and went to rehab, and hung out with her for a year not drinking with her the first time she got sober, but now she only does things with A.A. people. So why, please tell me why, one cannot be either invited to these get-togethers, or my friend doesn't want to have sober fun days with her other friends outside of A.A.? I'm fed up and can't possibly do anything else to let her know how proud I am of her. From another forum I wrote on, it sounds to me like I've lost my best friend, and that's just "the way it is." Please someone tell me this isn't true.

Are you still in AA? you said your friend only hangs out with AA people. AA People tend to become happy, joyous and free if they work the AA program by doing the steps. Happy, joyous and free people are whom I choose to hang out with, Maybe your friend feels the same way.

Larry,
---------------
The biggest problem we have is ourselves
Larry H.

Postby Leana H. » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:06 am

I'm the same way these days. I only like hanging out with sober people (whether they are in AA or not). But I do prefer the AA folks best, because they do understand me more and I see them the most often anyway. It just is more comfortable to me.

If you're in AA and she's in AA, why won't she let you in her group of friends? Maybe you have relapsed so many times in the program that she doesn't trust you anymore?? Hmmm... :? :wink:
Leana H.

Postby Dallas » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:06 am

Welcome to the forum Leana. I'm the same way. I prefer hanging out w/ sober people.

Dallas
Dallas
Site Admin

Return to Addiction Recovery Stories